Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3537140,00.html

Manchester City are favourites to seal a deal for Barcelona's Mexico starlet Giovani Dos Santos, the player's father has confirmed.

The 18-year-old, who has already won five caps for his country, seems set to leave the Nou Camp this summer and a host of clubs are now jostling to seal his signature.

But City look to be in pole position ahead of the likes of Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool.

The teenager's father - former Brazil international Zizinho - has confirmed to the Mexican press that City have made their move.

"The news is certain, but the subject is in the hands of the agent," Zizinho revealed.

"We would prefer much discretion until the end of the season.

"We will not decide, but Barca know the situation as we have had contact with sporting director Txiki Beguiristain.

"Our objective now is for him to finish the season with Barcelona at a good level and then we will speak."

Zizinho then confirmed that City were amongst a host of English clubs in the hunt.

"Other English clubs have demanded information about Giovani but the main chance is City," he added.

Barcelona have a wealth of forward options which is why Giovani will seemingly be allowed to leave - with former youth colleague Bojan now very much the talk of Catalunya.

It is believed Barca are willing to let Giovani go for 10 million euros (£7.8million), although they are also open to the idea of a season-long loan but any club would have to take over the whole of his salary.

Giovanni's current deal has three years left to run.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Damn why can't he join us he's worth the risk because Barca don't want him anyway and surely if City can attract him it wouldn't be hard for us too.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
He is a good option. I would imagine him to be better than Valencia. Also at 7.8 million, he is not overpriced. Hope Sir Alex is interested in him.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I don't think hes as good as they were raving about all that bull will make him a 15million player based entirely on hype... hes another Nani! Citeh can have him!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eoininho said:
I don't think hes as good as they were raving about all that bull will make him a 15million player based entirely on hype... hes another Nani! Citeh can have him!

OK, if he;s another Nani, then let's buy him right away, because Nani is going to be a brilliant player. He is better than Ronaldo was at 20 and just needs to lay more and become more mature.

Dos Santos is incredible for an 18 year old and I'd rather him than the Wigan boys.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
trouble is with him where would he play? he's not an out and out winger like valencia or nani he can play as a foward in a 4-3-3 or as an attacking midfielder in a central area i cannot see him playing in a 4-4-2 as a winger which might make him irelevant to what we need :)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
RedForceRising said:
OK, if he;s another Nani, then let's buy him right away, because Nani is going to be a brilliant player. He is better than Ronaldo was at 20 and just needs to lay more and become more mature.

Dos Santos is incredible for an 18 year old and I'd rather him than the Wigan boys.
if you like second rate players so much start following another club, Nani is in no way better than Ronaldo was when he was twenty!! thats an insult to Ronaldo.. Nani is 21 by the way... and take those 3rd rate idiots off your sig the day we sign joke players like that , may they forever stay at nothing clubs like wigan where they belong! Dos Santos will never be a top player, hype is the only reason any1 is even considering signing him cos his performances have given no confidence that he is anything more than a show pony

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
he needs time to improve yet. Not as complete as bojan ofcourse but i think its unfair to judge his potential just yet. I think he found it tough at barca this season, does get no space or time on the ball so maybe time in the premier league may be good for him. Less tactical and more space so it could help him develop. Ofcourse he coiuld just get kicked all the time too but i think it could help him out.

Dont really think united need him though to be honest, Im just speaking on him in general.

pz

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eoininho said:
if you like second rate players so much start following another club, Nani is in no way better than Ronaldo was when he was twenty!! thats an insult to Ronaldo.. Nani is 21 by the way... and take those 3rd rate idiots off your sig the day we sign joke players like that , may they forever stay at nothing clubs like wigan where they belong! Dos Santos will never be a top player, hype is the only reason any1 is even considering signing him cos his performances have given no confidence that he is anything more than a show pony
The sig is Hargreave's fist going towards the Wigan players...... :rolleyes:

Ronaldo did way too many stepovers until the 2006/2007 season. I'm not sure how long you have been following Man Utd for, but it;s been 14 years for me and I can tell you that at 21 (as you have correctly pointed out) and in his first season, he IS better than Ronaldo was.

This is not an insult to Ronaldo, it is simply my observation. Ronaldo did a lot of fanciful stuff that had no end product and in contrast Nani has 11 assists in all competitions and 4 goals to his name. He acted like an idiot against West Ham and overall needs to grow up, BUT he is better than Ronaldo was at 21. Ronaldo scored more goals when he was 21, but he also played 10 games more and stats are only half the story.

You will be eating your words about Nani being a second rate player, when it happens, I will be reminding you about asking me to support another club. You are acting without class and you are acting like a Liverpool fan.

If you think he is a second rate footballer, what does that say about your trust in Fergie and Quieroz ability to spot talent?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Dos Santos is for me like another Anderson...if he comes cheap and is not wanted and is offered to us, why not get him?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
RedForceRising said:
The sig is Hargreave's fist going towards the Wigan players...... :rolleyes:

Ronaldo did way too many stepovers until the 2006/2007 season. I'm not sure how long you have been following Man Utd for, but it;s been 14 years for me and I can tell you that at 21 (as you have correctly pointed out) and in his first season, he IS better than Ronaldo was.

This is not an insult to Ronaldo, it is simply my observation. Ronaldo did a lot of fanciful stuff that had no end product and in contrast Nani has 11 assists in all competitions and 4 goals to his name. He acted like an idiot against West Ham and overall needs to grow up, BUT he is better than Ronaldo was at 21. Ronaldo scored more goals when he was 21, but he also played 10 games more and stats are only half the story.

You will be eating your words about Nani being a second rate player, when it happens, I will be reminding you about asking me to support another club. You are acting without class and you are acting like a Liverpool fan.

If you think he is a second rate footballer, what does that say about your trust in Fergie and Quieroz ability to spot talent?
I immediately apologise for the photo comment I NOW THINK ITS HILARIOUS!! i thought you were endorsing the ridiculous rumors that we're interested in useless players!

Regarding nani versus ronaldo , Ronaldo was 21 just over a year ago................ so for half of last season where he was both player of the year and young player of the year.... Nani is better than Ronaldo at 21?????????????????

I'm not a fan of Nani , I've said it plenty of times on this forum, I believe he has had ONE performance where I stood up and said this guy deserves to play for united, that was against arsenal in the FA cup.. otherwise Ive been very disapointed with Nani's displays, granted he can cross and stats look good on paper but he takes long shots all of the time that are never on, wastes possession plays for himself etc.. i really thought his display against barca could have cost us the champions league final, and on another day his first half sending off could have cost us the league! you dont see selfishness like this from our less talented but more committed players like Brown and Fletcher who appreciate the responsibilities of wearing the jersey

Like a Liverpool fan.. why do people always use that when people criticize their own player.. I'm acting like a lifetime fan of a club (I have no memory of not being a united fan)... I see Ryan Giggs's proposed replacement being Nani.. it just worries me... and I really really hope I'm wrong about Nani but sadly I expect I wont be..

I said the support another club thing as a joke didnt mean it literally I just don't like the idea of 2nd rate players playing for this great club!

These are just my opinions and I always like to be challenged!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I immediately apologise for the photo comment I NOW THINK ITS HILARIOUS!! i thought you were endorsing the ridiculous rumors that we're interested in useless players!
- Thank you!

Regarding nani versus ronaldo , Ronaldo was 21 just over a year ago................ so for half of last season where he was both player of the year and young player of the year.... Nani is better than Ronaldo at 21?????????????????

- Correction, his birthday is Feb 1985, so he turned 21 towards the end of the 2005/2006 season, just before the World Cup. It was only afte the World Cup i the 2007/07 season that he had such a wnderful campaign. Remembering that the 05/06 season was his third season with us and he was still doing tricks than didn't have any end product AND he was selfish, I think Nani is better than Ronaldo was at 21.

I'm not a fan of Nani , I've said it plenty of times on this forum, I believe he has had ONE performance where I stood up and said this guy deserves to play for united, that was against arsenal in the FA cup.. otherwise Ive been very disapointed with Nani's displays, granted he can cross and stats look good on paper but he takes long shots all of the time that are never on, wastes possession plays for himself etc.. i really thought his display against barca could have cost us the champions league final, and on another day his first half sending off could have cost us the league! you dont see selfishness like this from our less talented but more committed players like Brown and Fletcher who appreciate the responsibilities of wearing the jersey

- It's fine that you're not a fan f his, but to call him second-rate is exaggerated and I think he's been playing better than Giggs. Yes he has made mistakes and you are correct, there were way too many flicks and unnecessary fancy stuff against Barca. He is also too selfish. Do you anybody else like that in the Man Utd squad?
I can!

Like a Liverpool fan.. why do people always use that when people criticize their own player.. I'm acting like a lifetime fan of a club (I have no memory of not being a united fan)... I see Ryan Giggs's proposed replacement being Nani.. it just worries me... and I really really hope I'm wrong about Nani but sadly I expect I wont be..

- Because you asked me to go support another club, because we have a difference of opinion on a player and I only see Liverpool fans writting that. You are insinuating that my love for Man Utd is not genuine or that i'm not worthy of being a Man Utd fan, just because I admire dos Santos.

I said the support another club thing as a joke didnt mean it literally I just don't like the idea of 2nd rate players playing for this great club!

- It wasn't very funny, mate. In any case, if dos santos IS going for 8million, I'd rather him than Valencia, who was quoted at the same price and I think quite a few posters feel that way. You then compared him to Nani and I am telling you then Nani can develope into a very fine player. He just needs to stop imitating Ronaldo and be his own man.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
RedForceRising said:

- Correction, his birthday is Feb 1985, so he turned 21 towards the end of the 2005/2006 season, just before the World Cup. It was only afte the World Cup i the 2007/07 season that he had such a wnderful campaign. Remembering that the 05/06 season was his third season with us and he was still doing tricks than didn't have any end product AND he was selfish, I think Nani is better than Ronaldo was at 21.
Ronaldo didnt turn 22 until February 2007... so for the 1st half+ of last season where he was immense he was 21... I don't see where you're correcting me? I think its very fair to say that Ronaldo is a better player than Nani at 21... if Nani is player of the year next year I'll eat my hat!

And again regarding what I said about following another club I didn't mean for it to be perceived as an insult I was trying to put a point accross that I don't want to see second rate players wearing the same jersey Keane, Cantona, Scholes, Best etc have worn!
I also found being akined to a Liverpool fan highly insulting!!:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
To be honest lads, I think age is in some ways irrelevant. You could look at it in terms of exposure at the highest level.

Ronaldo was a disappointing if occasionally brilliant player for much of his first two seasons at Man U. True he was younger but he has grown up gradually and started to take on what Fergie and CQ and the other players will be saying to him about substance and respect.

Nani has been similar in some ways, I think he has offered more quality than Ronaldo did at the start but you would have expected this as he had more experience and is that bit older. Whether he can bring his game on from there remains to be seen. Maturity also comes into it and this also will be a telling factor. He will know after last Saturday that SAF will be expecting much more from him and his reaction to this will tell a lot.

We also have to remember that Ronaldo is a very special talent, he was raw when he came but the depth of talent and football experience and knowledge at OT that he has been able to tap in to has helped shape his game and made him what he is. Nani is a less physical and imposing guy and I think it would be unrealistic to expect him to reach the same heights.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
rubberdecky83 said:
Nani has been similar in some ways, I think he has offered more quality than Ronaldo did at the start but you would have expected this as he had more experience and is that bit older.
Id go along with that, it just bugs me that ribery went for the same money as nani.. I hope he proves me wrong but I have very little hope for him..

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think we're set for wide attacking players, eh?:) We've got Ronaldo, Nani, Park & Giggs. Dos Santos would be in the same situation he's in at Barca, i.e. down the pecking order. On top of which he'd be adapting to

Premiership style & pace plus the phenomenal difference between lounging about in Barcelona Vs living in Manchester. I think a lot of English people don't take into account the lifestyle changes for Brazilian/Portuguese

or anybody from a hot climate moving to England. That's perhaps what's impressed me most about Ronaldo/Nani/Anderson; they've settled in so well. Bianchi is a classy player but he simply had a brain melt trying to

process the way English players grab a coke and chips during training. That's definitely a non Italian thing, they tend to do more gym work just before games. Malouda was gob-smacked at the sheer intensity of

training sessions. Heck, Kleberson never left his hotel room.:rolleyes: I feel sorry for those players. They are talented but just because they don't adapt the English rubbish them as players.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts