Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shay Given's lawyer claims the goalkeeper is considering leaving Newcastle during the transfer window.

The Republic of Ireland international has been strongly linked with Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester City in recent weeks, with his future increasingly being called into question.

The 32-year-old is said to have reached the 'lowest point of his football career' following last weekend's 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Liverpool, a situation which has fuelled the exit rumours.

Magpies boss Joe Kinnear has always insisted that the experienced shot-stopper would not be allowed to leave St James' Park, but the player's lawyer suggests anything is possible.
Despondent

"Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend," read a statement from Michael Kennedy.

"It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

"When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

"Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham."

Given joined Newcastle in a £1.5 million deal from Blackburn in 1997, but has seen the club stagnate in recent years as they struggle to cope with off-field distractions.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4731939,00.html

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
good for shay. how newcastle can say his not for sale if unfair. 11 years of service for a club that has been dying for years. his to good for that side along with owen. just a place for players to go to waste their career

·
Registered
601 Posts
we should buy him, i know vds is great, i would have vds in goal and have given as backup atm, and next season put given as first choice. but i think given will go somewher else.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
trikam patel said:
we should buy him, i know vds is great, i would have vds in goal and have given as backup atm, and next season put given as first choice. but i think given will go somewher else.
given is a great keeper but their is no way he will sign to sit on our bench for a season and a half. vds is still gonna be our number one next year. he should go arsenal

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'd much rather have Given in goal than VDS atm, so I would consider signing him.

He'd be a good signing for any team. He's a great keeper, and even though he's 32, he still has plenty of years ahead of him. After all, we did sign VDS at 34 and he's been a great signing for us.

The most likely destination for him will be Arsenal though.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
manutd004 said:
I'd much rather have Given in goal than VDS atm, so I would consider signing him.

He'd be a good signing for any team. He's a great keeper, and even though he's 32, he still has plenty of years ahead of him. After all, we did sign VDS at 34 and he's been a great signing for us.

The most likely destination for him will be Arsenal though.

id hate to see him at arseneal :( as you siad vds was 34 when we signed him and i think given is a much better keeper tbh! would love to sign him but it wont happen

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
This guy gave many good years to Newcastle. In fact he probably single-handedly saved them from doom in some of those years.

They should let him leave with dignity and wish him well.

Wouldn't mind him at United tbh, but it wouldn't feel right seeing as we have 3 first team keepers already.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RedForceRising said:
This guy gave many good years to Newcastle. In fact he probably single-handedly saved them from doom in some of those years.

They should let him leave with dignity and wish him well.

Wouldn't mind him at United tbh, but it wouldn't feel right seeing as we have 3 first team keepers already.
he would be the best of the lot though imo! i watch him every international game aswell as watching out for newcastle because of hm an duff! and hes one of the est in the bussiness ypu watch a vid of him in youtube and some of his saves are amazing! he uses evrything he can to keep a clen sheet hands feet and head hes jus a top notch keeper!

it would kill me to see him in an arseneal shirt tbh!

given>vds

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
The King said:
he should have done this years ago, he could play for any top club and would be a great signing for AC Milan
trappatoni reccomended him to italian clubs apparently maybe there one of them? we will have to see! one of the best keeprs in the world imo

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
cantos red army said:
he would be the best of the lot though imo! i watch him every international game aswell as watching out for newcastle because of hm an duff! and hes one of the est in the bussiness ypu watch a vid of him in youtube and some of his saves are amazing! he uses evrything he can to keep a clen sheet hands feet and head hes jus a top notch keeper!

it would kill me to see him in an arseneal shirt tbh!

given>vds
Would never argue with that :p

He would keep Almunia on the bench, if he went to the Emirates and would bring much needed confidence to their backline.

Does anybody have Sbragia's number? He must have a few mil to spare ;)

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Would never argue with that :p

He would keep Almunia on the bench, if he went to the Emirates and would bring much needed confidence to their backline.

Does anybody have Sbragia's number? He must have a few mil to spare ;)
some people would :p

definatly he would start in most big clubs not only in the prem but in the world too! maybe not madrid or juventus :p but you get my point ;) !

ohhh that would cause trouble up thier it would be like a witch hunt back in the days but instead of witches they would be hunting shay:p ! dont see it happening maybe if keano was still in charge there would be a cheeky bid!:D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, Sunderland don't need a keeper, because their no 1 when fit is a great keeper :)

As I've said quite often, I'd love us to sign Frey or Neuer in the summer. But if we couldn't seal one of them, because for example we were priced out of those moves, or they didn't want to come or whatever, or if we decided that we needed one in January, I'd love Shay Given here.

I think we need to review the keeper situation. I'd love Foster to be No 1 but it doesn't look like Sir Alex has enough belief in him and I can see him leaving at some point. Hope I'm wrong though.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
manutd004 said:
Well, Sunderland don't need a keeper, because their no 1 when fit is a great keeper :)

As I've said quite often, I'd love us to sign Frey or Neuer in the summer. But if we couldn't seal one of them, because for example we were priced out of those moves, or they didn't want to come or whatever, or if we decided that we needed one in January, I'd love Shay Given here.

I think we need to review the keeper situation. I'd love Foster to be No 1 but it doesn't look like Sir Alex has enough belief in him and I can see him leaving at some point. Hope I'm wrong though.

i think foster siad he wanted to leave swell didnt he? im not sure but im pretty postive i read that somewhere! tbh i dont fancy kuzshack or foster when their in nets thiers just something dodgey about them! fosters not the keeper he was whil on loan at watford imo!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
i think foster siad he wanted to leave swell didnt he? im not sure but im pretty postive i read that somewhere! tbh i dont fancy kuzshack or foster when their in nets thiers just something dodgey about them! fosters not the keeper he was whil on loan at watford imo!
No, he isn't.

That could be down to his match sharpness though. But again, Sir Alex doesn't have a lot of belief in him and isn't giving him enough chances to get his sharpness back.

However, I agree on Tomasz. He's a great keeper to have as a no 2, but isn't a reliable, good enough all-round keeper to be our no 1.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
manutd004 said:
No, he isn't.

That could be down to his match sharpness though. But again, Sir Alex doesn't have a lot of belief in him and isn't giving him enough chances to get his sharpness back.

However, I agree on Tomasz. He's a great keeper to have as a no 2, but isn't a reliable, good enough all-round keeper to be our no 1.

i jsut think to be uniteds no 1 you have to be comanding of your area like peter and like vds! tbh foster and kuzhack arent and whenthey come to collect crosses you ave a slight sick feeling in your stomack becuase your not sure there going to get there!

thats why i think we should go for given because even though hes not the biggest he is a commanding sorta keeper and some of his saves are world class and his reflexes are 2nd to none! people are saying hes too old but vds was 2 years older when we signed him and 32 aint that old for a keeper if ghe looks after himself he could play well into his late 30s and maybe early 40s at a high level!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
i jsut think to be uniteds no 1 you have to be comanding of your area like peter and like vds! tbh foster and kuzhack arent and whenthey come to collect crosses you ave a slight sick feeling in your stomack becuase your not sure there going to get there!

thats why i think we should go for given because even though hes not the biggest he is a commanding sorta keeper and some of his saves are world class and his reflexes are 2nd to none! people are saying hes too old but vds was 2 years older when we signed him and 32 aint that old for a keeper if ghe looks after himself he could play well into his late 30s and maybe early 40s at a high level!
Absolutely.

Some people fall into the trap that, "Oh, Newcastle conceded 4 goals this week again" and then automatically assume that means that Given can't be as great a keeper as people say. But you have to watch the whole game, and watch Givens contribution and if more people did that they would see what a great keeper he is. He keeps the score down on more than a few occasions for Newcastle.

People also talk about how important it is to have a keeper who makes vital saves at vital moments, and having a keeper who can get you/save you 8-12 points a season and instil confidence in the teams defence. And that's what kind of keeper Given would be if he was at United, no doubt about it. He does make his mistakes, just like any keeper, but they are few and far between, (he makes far less than VDS but I'm sure there's plenty who would strongly disagree with that ;))

On a side-note, we seem to be having quite a few 2 or 3 way conversations today along with RFR :p

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
manutd004 said:
Absolutely.

Some people fall into the trap that, "Oh, Newcastle conceded 4 goals this week again" and then automatically assume that means that Given can't be as great a keeper as people say. But you have to watch the whole game, and watch Givens contribution and if more people did that they would see what a great keeper he is. He keeps the score down on more than a few occasions for Newcastle.

People also talk about how important it is to have a keeper who makes vital saves at vital moments, and having a keeper who can get you/save you 8-12 points a season and instil confidence in the teams defence. And that's what kind of keeper Given would be if he was at United, no doubt about it. He does make his mistakes, just like any keeper, but they are few and far between, (he makes far less than VDS but I'm sure there's plenty who would strongly disagree with that ;))

On a side-note, we seem to be having quite a few 2 or 3 way conversations today along with RFR :p

ya mate i know and its wrong on shay because i watch him for ireland aswell and he doesnt just help keep newcastles score down he helps keep us in games alt of times! look at the liverpool game their last week if it wasnt for him it coulda be 10 or 11 goals in liverpools favour!

im in doubt doubt that if we had given in goals he would save us at least 12 points a season as i think he wouldnt have messed up agsint the pool when vds punched the ball of browns knee :mad: still dont get what he was doing :confused: ! ya i agree and when given does make a mistake he makes up for it with his saves! ya tbh ithink vds i sorta past it still a great keeper but he seems to make more mistakes this season then he did in all previous seasons put together but thats my view as you say 99% of people on hre will disagree;) :p

ya i know :p and were all of the same opionon its weird still though great minds and that ;)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
ya mate i know and its wrong on shay because i watch him for ireland aswell and he doesnt just help keep newcastles score down he helps keep us in games alt of times! look at the liverpool game their last week if it wasnt for him it coulda be 10 or 11 goals in liverpools favour!

im in doubt doubt that if we had given in goals he would save us at least 12 points a season as i think he wouldnt have messed up agsint the pool when vds punched the ball of browns knee :mad: still dont get what he was doing :confused: ! ya i agree and when given does make a mistake he makes up for it with his saves! ya tbh ithink vds i sorta past it still a great keeper but he seems to make more mistakes this season then he did in all previous seasons put together but thats my view as you say 99% of people on hre will disagree;) :p

ya i know :p and were all of the same opionon its weird still though great minds and that ;)
Well, I'll take your word about him about international level. I do like Ireland tbh, and want them to do well, but they always seem to play at the same time as Scotland so I can't see the games. :rolleyes: :p

And I agree about VDS. He's been a great signing, a fantastic keeper for us and has been an important part of our success. He's finally overcame the Schmeichel problem (at about the 109th attempt :p) But he's in decline, and isn't as reliable as he has been (or as reliable as Given would be ;)) He does make a lot of mistakes, but on a lot of occasions he gets saved by poor finishing by the opposition, or by great defensive work by one of his team-mates so people forget or don't seem to see it as a mistake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts