Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first major of the year started yesterday (US Masters at Augusta) with a strong start by the British contingent.

Justin Rose tied for the lead on -4, Lee Westwood tied 3rd on -3, Ian Poulter got an ace (hole in one) and finished on -2, Paul Casey finished -1 and Sandy Lyle rolled back the years by finishing even par and level with Tiger Woods after the 1st day.

I'm not very good at golf but enjoy playing it and will be dusting off the clubs again this summer.

Anyone else watching the Masters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,236 Posts
Yeah I'm watching it.

Woods is coming back now but his driving is just too wayward for Agusta unfortunately. I think it needs to be better sadly for him to win it.

I asked solks to put up betting for last two rounds lads. I couldn't log in yesterday so last 2 rounds will have to do. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
wow thank God someone answered your thread Dwarf.:D
I was getting worried for ya there mate, that this Golf thread might be a
washout of the highest order.
Sorry cant help it, but golf aint up there on my list of top sports, maybe
its because Im rubbish at it......:eek:
Anyway go Harrington and all teh other Irish players.:)
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jazz 16 said:
wow thank God someone answered your thread Dwarf.:D
I was getting worried for ya there mate, that this Golf thread might be a
washout of the highest order.
Just wait until I start my American Football thread when the season starts in September :D

I watched just about all the TV coverage of the Masters (I always watch the majors and have been to the Open 3 times and will be going again this year with it being at Royal Birkdale).

I can't believe Tiger Woods played so poorly and still finished 2nd! Same with Phil Mickelson finishing =5th.

A total disaster for the British contingent over the weekend but at least Lee Westwood finished in the top 16 so will be invited back next year.

Never would have backed Immelmann to win it...even after he lead on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd day! It wasn't until everyone started dropping shots before he had even teed off on the final 18 that I thought he'd win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,861 Posts
reddwarf said:
Just wait until I start my American Football thread when the season starts in September :D

I watched just about all the TV coverage of the Masters (I always watch the majors and have been to the Open 3 times and will be going again this year with it being at Royal Birkdale).

I can't believe Tiger Woods played so poorly and still finished 2nd! Same with Phil Mickelson finishing =5th.

A total disaster for the British contingent over the weekend but at least Lee Westwood finished in the top 16 so will be invited back next year.Never would have backed Immelmann to win it...even after he lead on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd day! It wasn't until everyone started dropping shots before he had even teed off on the final 18 that I thought he'd win.
You see justin rose? :D He was like 1 off or something after round one then finished like 16 over par lmao!
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SolskjaertheLegend said:
You see justin rose? :D He was like 1 off or something after round one then finished like 16 over par lmao!
He was tied for the lead after the first day with Immelmann...Immelmann went on to win and Rose finished =36th!!! :rolleyes:

He did the same last year at the Masters.

Jazz, you're right. Harrington tied for 5th with Mickelson and Steve Flesch. He was the highest ranked European.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abojodeh said:
i love golf
i love to watch and play it
and also i play golf video games
Same here. I've got Tiger Woods 06, 07 and 08 on my xbox 360!!!

I fell out of love with golf for a while though.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was playing golf with my younger brother and I was having a nightmare round. I was losing balls in the trees, water and even in the deep rough! I was getting angrier and angrier and this was making me play even worse.

On the 17th I lost the last ball I had and I lost it. I threw my club down and screamed "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh". At that exact moment a bird took a dump on my head and my brother found this hysterical. I stormed off the course and didn't play again for over a year :eek:
 

·
Proto-Hipster
Joined
·
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
Same here. I've got Tiger Woods 06, 07 and 08 on my xbox 360!!!

I fell out of love with golf for a while though.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was playing golf with my younger brother and I was having a nightmare round. I was losing balls in the trees, water and even in the deep rough! I was getting angrier and angrier and this was making me play even worse.

On the 17th I lost the last ball I had and I lost it. I threw my club down and screamed "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh". At that exact moment a bird took a dump on my head and my brother found this hysterical. I stormed off the course and didn't play again for over a year :eek:
i needed 4 months to know how to hit the ball :eek:
and the first time i hited the ball ///.....,,,, the ball just moved about 15cm:p
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The US Open starts tomorrow.

Tiger hasn't played for 2 months because of a knee operation. He should play in Torrey Pines but the other golfers may just have a chance!

Tiger has been paired with Phil Mickelson so the crowds following them around will be huge.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
reddwarf said:
On the 17th I lost the last ball I had and I lost it. I threw my club down and screamed "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh". At that exact moment a bird took a dump on my head and my brother found this hysterical. I stormed off the course and didn't play again for over a year :eek:
LMAO Dawrf I can't believe I've only just seen this, it's hilarious :D:D
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-zuco- said:
LMAO Dawrf I can't believe I've only just seen this, it's hilarious :D:D
Yeah, it's one of those 'in a few years time you'll look back at this and laugh' moments but I wouldn't have believed it at the time! :eek:
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
reddwarf said:
The US Open starts tomorrow.

Tiger hasn't played for 2 months because of a knee operation. He should play in Torrey Pines but the other golfers may just have a chance!

Tiger has been paired with Phil Mickelson so the crowds following them around will be huge.
Not much interest in the US Open then!

Surprise, surprise Tiger emerged victorious. Although Rocco Mediate took him to an 18 hole play off and England's Lee Westwood finished a commendable 3rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
I liked very much this 19-hole US-Open play-off!! There were some decent shots and the whole atmosphere around it was just superb.
I'm glad Tiger Woods overcame his pain and managed to win it at the end...
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lawbreaker1944 said:
I liked very much this 19-hole US-Open play-off!! There were some decent shots and the whole atmosphere around it was just superb.
I'm glad Tiger Woods overcame his pain and managed to win it at the end...
I didn't explain that very well did I? :eek:

It was an 18 hole playoff but the scores were tied so they had to play an extra hole. I don't remember seeing a play off where they have to play a whole round before - it's usually a few holes or whoever wins the next hole.

I was surprised to see so many people there on the Monday too. I wonder how many people rang in sick to work so they could watch Tiger? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
reddwarf said:
I was surprised to see so many people there on the Monday too. I wonder how many people rang in sick to work so they could watch Tiger? :D
:D Yeah..something like: Hey, boss. I'm very ill at the moment, but I promise I'll be fully recovered by Tuesday!

The most amazing tournament for me was..I think..British Open several years ago, where French player called..something like Vandevelde has about 4 shots to a credit before the very last hole of the tournament. And he managed to lost all 4 shots on a single hole and then he lost the 4-round play-off.

Truly remarkable game!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Holy Smoke. Tiger is THE best sportsman in the World. He has to be..
2 months after knee surgery...and in obvious pain, he fought like never before
and prevailed....Im not usually mad about golf but Woods is a genius.
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top