Manchester United Talk banner

Goodbye AVB, hello Tim Sherwood

15K views 82 replies 43 participants last post by  Josh Tipton 
#1 ·
#6 ·
The lack of goals in the Premier League coupled with a few bad results (the 3-0 home defeat to West Ham and the absolute batterings they took against City and Liverpool) seem to have cost AVB his job.

The board should really have looked at the bigger picture. So many new signings (especially foreign imports) were always going to take time to gel but Spurs still topped their Europa League group, are in the quarter-finals of the League Cup and are only 5 points off the top 4.

It just goes to show the insane pressure top level managers are under when only being in 7th place in the Premier League is enough to get you the sack.

#7 ·
http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2...-neville-twitter-tottenham-andre-villas-boas/

Sacked Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-BoasPhoto: Back Page Images

Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed the sacking of manager André Villas-Boas.

The 36-year-old, whose side were on the wrong end of a 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool at White Hart Lane on Sunday, leaves Spurs after just 18 months in charge of the north London club.

Here is the best of the Twitter reaction from the professionals, past and present, to the Portuguese’s dismissal on Monday morning.

West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster (‏@BenFoster) seemingly reeling from Steve Clarke’s sacking still: “And there’s that yellow bar at the bottom of @SkyFootball going crazy again..”

Former Liverpool striker Don Hutchison ‏(@donhutch4) fancies making a quick dollar: “Think I might become a Premier League manager. All I’ve gotta do is get it wrong a couple of times…. #multimillionare”

Ex-Manchester United defender Gary Neville (‏@GNev2) gives his thoughts: “So AVB gone now! Had to incorporate seven new players which takes TIME/ TIME/ TIME! Rubbish! Let him finish his work!! [...] Prime Ministers and Presidents get 4/5 years for a reason!”

Another Red Devils legend Norman Whiteside ‏(@NormanWhiteside) explains his views on management: “Three-year plan for any manager. Inherit a team. Build a team. Get results. Then make a decision – at least give them a chance.”

Former Norwich City forward Darren Huckerby ‏(@hucks6dh6) can see Redknapp returning: “AVB has gone, he’ll be looking at yachts in the Christmas sales, what’s the odds on Redknapp going back? Range Rover must be running already!”

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler ‏(@Robbie9Fowler) is slow to hear the breaking news: “Spurs sacked AVB?”

Former England captain Michael Vaughan ‏(@MichaelVaughan) can’t understand the decision: “So AVB gets £100m to spend…three months later he gets sacked..!!!!!! Do not understand the logic in that……”

Ex-Spurs chairman and Villas-Boas detractor Lord Sugar ‏(@Lord_Sugar) wants the club to make an in-house appointment: “Spurs need to put Les Ferdinand and Tim Sherwood in charge for a while.”

Tottenham legend Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) would like to see Glenn Hoddle back at White Hart Lane: “AVB has been sacked by Spurs. Would love to see Glenn Hoddle given another chance at this level. Has a brilliant football mind.2″

But Sugar ‏(@Lord_Sugar) doesn’t agree: “@GaryLineker Hoddle. Leave off Gary!”

However, Lineker ‏(@GaryLineker) has the final say: “RT @Lord_Sugar: @GaryLineker Hoddle . Leave off Gary < When non football people decide, they go for the likes of Cristian Gross."

#9 ·
Both Pellegrini and AVB went on big spending sprees this summer, buying some relatively unproved players. I thought it would be interesting to see how they adapted to the Premiership and there's no doubt that Pellegrini has been far more successful. Pellegrini was luckier, however. The core of his team remained the same and he added some well targeted additions who have integrated more or less seamlessly whereas AVB lost his main man in Bale and had to scramble for additions which have altered the structure of his team. It may well be that future Spurs managers will reap the benefits of Lamela, Eriksen, Paulinho et al coming of age in due course with AVB being the fall guy in charge of a team in transition. We'll see who replaces him.

#10 ·
As much as i agree with what you are saying from what i've heard and read not all the additions were of his choosing. Baldini the Director of Football seemed to sign a few of them. But yes the man who manages to get all those players to play together in a system is going to have a very good time.

#11 · (Edited)
I know they just got hammered 5-0 against Liverpool, City battered them for 6 and probably the hardest defeat for the Spurs fans was losing 3-0 to West Ham, but I still think the sacking is a bit harsh.

They're currently 7th in the league, only a few points off the top 4 places.
That's better off than we are too. It's not as if they're back in 13th or 14th position.
It's a squad full of new signings and it was always going to take time for them all to settle.
I think his biggest problem was not knowing his best starting 11 and obvious lack of goals.

I guess we'll never know now, but I think he would've done quite well with them in the end this season, maybe even got them to a cup final. They still have a COC Quarter-Final to look forward to Wednesday night and a chance to get revenge on West Ham.

Spurs have to be realistic here. I know they spent a lot of money in the summer, but you can't just expect all these new signings to adapt to the PL straight away. It takes time and patience. You see how open and competitive this season has been at the top already, there's no easy games anymore and the big teams are all dropping points too. It's amazing how a run of wins can boost you up the table, just look at Newcastle for example. It was always going to be a difficult season for them after losing Bale, but I believe it's been made even harder now by sacking their manager in the middle of December.

Who's going to come in anyway and do a much better job?

#13 ·
It is very harsh, but when I heard their result yesterday I had a feeling this was coming. Spurs were wrong to sack 'Arry in the first place, now they've axed his replacement after just 17 months? Ridiculous. That club is turning into a joke.

AVB is a very talented manager and he's still so young, so he'll be fine in the long run; but for now he should avoid taking another job in the Premier League. I think Valencia have just sacked their manager, so they could give him a chance to get straight back into management. I could also see Milan going for him at the end of this season. Good luck to him anyway.

#17 ·
I don't think they've been that bad overall this season. The lack of goals stems from the fact they've had to completely overhaul their attacking set up and that Soldado is not the player they hoped he'd be.

But there is a difference between needing time for new players to gel and just getting it completely wrong. Shipping 5 at home to Liverpool? 3 at home against striker-less West Ham. 6 away to City? Regardless of their form at the Etihad those are all really shocking results, and potentially more to come if they don't change quickly, starting with getting rid of Dawson and finding the right balance in midfield. I know many on here love to rave about their midfield. Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho together is not good at all.

#20 ·
It's going to be a tough job for whoever takes over; Soldado and Lamela, both players I rated, have been disappointing. Plus Spurs have now sacked their best performing manager, points wise, in the Premier League era.

The most damning thing is that AVB didn't learn from any of those previous thrashings, insisting on playing a high line. Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho are all powerful players but none are disciplined enough to properly protect a back four. Couple that with a makeshit centre half in Capoue, and the glacial Dawson, and good teams will have a field day running in behind. The high line can work, but it was completely suicidal to stick with it with the players at his disposal, and to force it so high up - Capoue was frequently further forward than Carrick would be for us.

#23 ·
Levy should go as well.
Any manager that accepts a director of football above them however is weak in my eyes.
Clubs inflated prices for average players as they knew Spuds were flogging Bale.
AVB is tactically naive as his record at chelsea bore out. Bale got 9 wins for them last year
Capello could be in charge after world cup as he likes Baldini

#25 ·
No real surprise that he's gone. I would have been shocked if he'd made it past this week.

The whole issue of their transfers is hard to analyse, because we don't actually know how many of the players that joined Spurs were signed by AVB. But whatever the case, he hasn't found a formula to make it work and looked to be making the same mistakes. They probably do have a better squad than they did last year, so the new manager might benefit, but it didn't look like things were going to change with AVB.

They were stupid to sack Redknapp at the time and it looks an even worse decision now. They've got to think carefully about where they go from here and might well have to rethink their whole strategy, because sacking two managers (on top of all the money they've spent) in such a relatively short space of time isn't great for them.

#28 ·
Whatever his faults I think he deserved time,at least this season to integrate all those new players, but he shot himself in the foot by persisting on the Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho trio leaving his side horribly lacking in creativity. This will go down as Spurs shooting themselves in the foot because you can't build amid such a high turnover in the dugout which will mutate into a high turnover on the pitch because any new man will want different players to the ones already there.
I hope this teaches a number of us that titles aren't won during the transfer window !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.