5 Serie A Titles
1 European Cup
1 Coppa Italia
1 Intercontinental Cup
1 UEFA Super Cup
1 UEFA Intertoto Cup
1 Serie B Title

------------------------------

All world class players, and probably the greatest legends still playing, but who is the number 1?

For me it goes:

1. Maldini
2. Giggs
3. Raul
4. Del Piero

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
You forgot Figo...

Honours

Sporting C.P.
* Cup of Portugal: 1995

FC Barcelona
* La Liga: 1997-98, 1998-99
* Copa del Rey: 1997, 1998
* Supercopa de España: 1996
* UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1997:rip_1:
* UEFA Super Cup: 1997

Real Madrid CF
* La Liga: 2000-01, 2002-03
* Supercopa de España: 2001, 2003
* UEFA Champions League: 2002
* UEFA Super Cup: 2002
* Intercontinental Cup: 2002

Inter Milan
* Serie A: 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08
* Coppa Italia: 2006
* Supercoppa Italiana: 2005, 2006, 2008

Portugal
* FIFA World Cup: (4th Place) 2006
* European Football Championship: (runner-up) 2004
* FIFA U-20 World Cup: 1989, 1991

Individual honours
* Ballon d'Or: 2000
* FIFA World Player of the Year: 2001
* FIFA World Player of the Year: (runner-up): 2000
* FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2006
* FIFA 100
* UEFA Team of the Year: 2003
* Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
* Portuguese Golden Ball: 1994

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talent wise, yes, but he was involved in one of the most controversial and selfish moves in the history of world football.

And he keeps opening his friggin mouth about Ronaldo saying he should go to Madrid.

Figo is in now way as classy as the guys in the top post.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Talent wise, yes, but he was involved in one of the most controversial and selfish moves in the history of world football.

And he keeps opening his friggin mouth about Ronaldo saying he should go to Madrid.

Figo is in now way as classy as the guys in the top post.
Ok, 1st of all, it was Barça's fault that Figo left. He was in the club for 5 years, he was the captain, and he was one of the worst payed players. Nuñez refused to renegotiate his contract, untill 2000, and by that year, since he was to step down for another president, he ignored it once more. Gaspart, which was gonna be the natural sucessor, and a vice-president at the time, also refused to talk about a renewal of the contract, and so, Figo made that deal with Perez, hopping to put pressure on the Barça board to renew with him.
Of course, no one expected perez to win, or that he could pay the release fee, so they kept on ignoring it, but he won, and he payed.
Now, if you ask Barça fans, most might still be hurt, but they know it was the board's fault, that Figo wanted to stay, and even Josep Luiz Nunez admited later it was his fault Figo had left.

As for him oppening his mouth about Ronaldo:
A- That's the 1st I've ever heard of it;
B- He played for 5 years at Real, so it's hadly surprising he said that, and, I bet he said it to madridian reporters;
C- He plays for INTER. You know, the same Inter United are facing in the Champions League... It's mind games, what do you expect?

So keep those things in mind, and don't let bias cloud your judgement...

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Is Ronaldo (Brazilian) still playing for Corinthian's? If so he's in hands down.

Also Andriy Shevchenko I don't care what anybody says. Legend.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, 1st of all, it was Barça's fault that Figo left. He was in the club for 5 years, he was the captain, and he was one of the worst payed players. Nuñez refused to renegotiate his contract, untill 2000, and by that year, since he was to step down for another president, he ignored it once more. Gaspart, which was gonna be the natural sucessor, and a vice-president at the time, also refused to talk about a renewal of the contract, and so, Figo made that deal with Perez, hopping to put pressure on the Barça board to renew with him.
Of course, no one expected perez to win, or that he could pay the release fee, so they kept on ignoring it, but he won, and he payed.
Now, if you ask Barça fans, most might still be hurt, but they know it was the board's fault, that Figo wanted to stay, and even Josep Luiz Nunez admited later it was his fault Figo had left.

As for him oppening his mouth about Ronaldo:
A- That's the 1st I've ever heard of it;
B- He played for 5 years at Real, so it's hadly surprising he said that, and, I bet he said it to madridian reporters;
C- He plays for INTER. You know, the same Inter United are facing in the Champions League... It's mind games, what do you expect?

So keep those things in mind, and don't let bias cloud your judgement...
If he cared that much for Barca he wouldn't have gone. Its 1 thing bluffing, but another actually signing for your rivals. There are other clubs he could have had an agreement with, why Franco FC?

He's talked about Ronaldo quite a few times.

So? You don't hear any of our players saying we have to buy 'x player'.

He was/is a great player, definately world class, but the point of this thread was to combign talent with accomplishments and class. Figo falls at the last hurdle.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
cheers ya that`s the last i heard but wasn't sure if he had retired!

cafus playing with some non league team in England as well i think?:confused: read it somewhere anyway :rofl:
Garfield Town or something like that. Some ***** club in Leeds. :the_finger:

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Garfield Town or something like that. Some ***** club in Leeds. :the_finger:
he was serious back in the day though did you ever see the video of him and Ronaldo when we played them and Ronaldo pushed him and he just started laughing? he was class :)

but says it all that hes gone to some team in leeds most love his sheep :rolleyes:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
he was serious back in the day though did you ever see the video of him and Ronaldo when we played them and Ronaldo pushed him and he just started laughing? he was class :)

but says it all that hes gone to some team in leeds most love his sheep :rolleyes:
He and Zanetti are the best right-backs of our generation IMO. Though I think Ramos is well on his way to eclipsing both of them.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
He and Zanetti are the best right-backs of our generation IMO. Though I think Ramos is well on his way to eclipsing both of them.
agree totally although Ramos had a poor showing at the euros IMO not as good as he could be but would love to see him here but then again if Rafael works on his defensive side of his game he could be up there with them two i think!

tbh i think Cassials(sp?) is a legend too even though he is pretty young hes won the lot he just needs to add a world cup to his collection and to top it all off his a one club man too

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
agree totally although Ramos had a poor showing at the euros IMO not as good as he could be but would love to see him here but then again if Rafael works on his defensive side of his game he could be up there with them two i think!

tbh i think Cassials(sp?) is a legend too even though he is pretty young hes won the lot he just needs to add a world cup to his collection and to top it all off his a one club man too
Poor showing? :eek: Maybe the group stage, and that's a strong maybe. He was absolutely immense in the final, and against Italy let alone the 2 master classes against Russia, but that's neither here nor there.

Speaking of legendary keepers, hows abouts Gianluigi Buffon?

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Poor showing? :eek: Maybe the group stage, and that's a strong maybe. He was absolutely immense in the final, and against Italy let alone the 2 master classes against Russia, but that's neither here nor there.

Speaking of legendary keepers, hows abouts Gianluigi Buffon?
whenever i seen him witch was in the groups he wasn't the best at defending but as the tournament went along he got better tbf ! hes a qauilty right back and everything the modern right back needs not to mention he bags his fair share of goals!

i have huge respect for him too he could have jumped sip when the shit hit the fan like 90 % of the other players did at juve but he stayed which shows alot of character ive not heard one person ever say one bad word about him but imo Casislas > Buffon

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Great thread!! and some good calls by Dlan, Pizza, cantos and Sporty as well.

from the original 4 its
Giggs
Maldini
Del Piero
Raul

1 - 20 of 31 Posts