Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having watched Evra bomb down the left this season, he is in my opinion the greatest ever left back in our history. I know the likes of Heinze and Irwin would be high up.But if I had to choose an all time united xi I would definitely choose Paddy. And theres no doubt that he is the best left back in the world atm also . :D

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i've only lived through irwin, heinze and evra. out of those three, i would put him at the top. he has everything, even aerial presence (impressive considering his size) and i doubt there's a better left back in the world

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
very hard one - if evra stays for years i would put him top .

but dennis was good all over and a great taker of a free kick to boot.

he fed ryan so well while nev was feeding becks down the other side

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
irwin, great in defence, could tackle, play a mean pass, link up with giggsy on the wing and then there were those occasional free kicks. top guy aswell. agree if evra stays for a good few yet and keeps up his present form he could possibly overtake him, but thats for the future

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Having watched Evra bomb down the left this season, he is in my opinion the greatest ever left back in our history. I know the likes of Heinze and Irwin would be high up.But if I had to choose an all time united xi I would definitely choose Paddy. And theres no doubt that he is the best left back in the world atm also . :D

You should be banned! :mad::rolleyes:

For me its Irwin for Mr. reliable, but Evra is world class...best in the world ATM and
certinaly one of if not the best LB United has ever had!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keano! said:
You should be banned! :mad::rolleyes:

For me its Irwin for Mr. reliable, but Evra is world class...best in the world ATM and
certinaly one of if not the best LB United has ever had!
Yeah how stupid of me why would I mention a player who won our player of the season before alongside other players who have NEVER won it. :rolleyes:

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
denis irwin is the best for me.
mr.consistent he rarely if ever put a foot wrong, unbelievable signing at ONLY £625,000.
he had it all , pace skill and an amazing ability to read the game, in fact he was so good going forward he could easily have played left wing.

1. denis irwin.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
dennis irwin is the best left back i have seen play for utd {following utd since mid 70's} , dennis was good at everything and very consistent to go with it and a very quiet modest fellow to go with it. evra is a very good left back one of the best around today but i doubt if many older wiser utd fans would choose him ahead of dennis , ferguson would choose irwin every time guaranteed.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, Evra's been my favourite Utd player for a while yet. He's the best LB in the World atm, he's an important player in our team (his importance may well be under-rated) and he's been a fantastic signing for us.

However, I would say Irwin is Utd's best ever LB. But if Evra stays for many years to come, it will certainly be awfully close.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think there is some selective memory going on here.

Irwin was the complete fullback and scored goals too! Even from free kicks.
He was completely reliable and never had a game below 6/10.

Mr Reliable. Mr Dependable. And he was for many, many years.

Pat would have to play at last season's, as well as this season's level for the rest of his UNited days to be comparable.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Irwin.

Evra needs a few (maybe 7) more years at this form and he'll overtake him.

Irwin might be the best leftback this side of Roberto Carlos and Giancinto Fachetti, let alone Manchester United.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its got to be Irwin for me.

On a side note is it me or has Evra's performances not been quite as good as last season?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I have to go with Denis Irwin we had over ten years of solid displays and he also scored some great free kicks .

I know Patrice Evra is the more talented player but for value for money and consistant displays it has to be Denis Irwin .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts