Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
Irwin, he had everything.


Irwin
Byrne
Evra

My top 3.
Good call Stee. Id agree with you, though I think it could easily change.
Evra has the natural ability and if he continues playing like he has done, for the next
5+ years then he will go down as the greatest United left back.
He is currently the best left back in the World so he is on track.
Denis was always one of my favourites. He is a legend.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Dennis Irwin.

Probably our most consistant player of the 90's. Every week he was an 8/10, never any less.

Evra has the potential to beat him though, but he needs to stick around for a while yet and win more trophies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Manchester United's left-backs:

Fred Erentz (Scotland), 1892-1902, 303 appearances, 9 goals
George Stacey (England), 1907-1915, 270 appearances, 9 goals
Jack Sil**** (England), 1919-1934, 449 appearances, 2 goals
Jack Griffiths (England), 1934-1944, 173 appearances, 1 goal
John Aston Sr (England), 1946-1954, 284 appearances, 30 goals (30 goals as a left-back, great)
Roger Byrne (England), 1951-1958, 280 appearances, 20 goals (the Busby Babes, we will never forget)
Noel Cantwell (Irish Rep.), 1960-1967, 146 appearances, 8 goals
Francis Burns (Scotland), 1967-1972, 156 appearances, 7 goals
Stewart Houston (Scotland), 1974-1980, 250 appearances, 16 goals
Arthur Albiston (Scotland), 1974-1988, 485 appearances, 7 goals
Ashley Grimes (Irish Rep.), 1977-1983, 107 appearances, 11 goals
Lee Martin (England), 1988-1994, 109 appearances, 2 goals
Mal Donaghy (Northern Ireland), 1988-1992, 119 appearances, 0 goals
Quinton Fortune (South Africa), 1999-2006, 126 appearances, 11 goals
Patrice Evra (France), since 2006, 122 appearances, 2 goals

To mention some of our greatest left-backs. :p
So my favourites are in bold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
Manchester United's left-backs:

Fred Erentz (Scotland), 1892-1902, 303 appearances, 9 goals
George Stacey (England), 1907-1915, 270 appearances, 9 goals
Jack Sil**** (England), 1919-1934, 449 appearances, 2 goals
Jack Griffiths (England), 1934-1944, 173 appearances, 1 goal
John Aston Sr (England), 1946-1954, 284 appearances, 30 goals (30 goals as a left-back, great)
Roger Byrne (England), 1951-1958, 280 appearances, 20 goals (the Busby Babes, we will never forget)
Noel Cantwell (Irish Rep.), 1960-1967, 146 appearances, 8 goals
Francis Burns (Scotland), 1967-1972, 156 appearances, 7 goals
Stewart Houston (Scotland), 1974-1980, 250 appearances, 16 goals
Arthur Albiston (Scotland), 1974-1988, 485 appearances, 7 goals
Ashley Grimes (Irish Rep.), 1977-1983, 107 appearances, 11 goals
Lee Martin (England), 1988-1994, 109 appearances, 2 goals
Mal Donaghy (Northern Ireland), 1988-1992, 119 appearances, 0 goals
Quinton Fortune (South Africa), 1999-2006, 126 appearances, 11 goals
Patrice Evra (France), since 2006, 122 appearances, 2 goals

To mention some of our greatest left-backs. :p
So my favourites are in bold.
Quinton Fortune wasn't a left back and Dennis Irwin is not on that list...
Neither is Phil Neville.
Or Mikael Silvestre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Quinton Fortune wasn't a left back and Dennis Irwin is not on that list...
Neither is Phil Neville.
Or Mikael Silvestre
Yeah, sorry my mistake. He played as a half-back on the left side. :eek:
How could I such a mistake. I'm sorry. :eek:

RedForceRising said:
Quinton Fortune wasn't a left back and Dennis Irwin is not on that list...Neither is Phil Neville.
Or Mikael Silvestre
I said some, not all. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
for me
irwin is
but evra is going great
may be he i would change my wind in a couple of years.......

the traitor is no where in the list for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
I think I would give it to Irwin....

Simply because Irwin NEVER had a bad game

Evra had 1 bad game (his debut) he's been immaculate since best full back of his generation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Heinze should not be mentioned at all. Evra and Irwin are similar as they are both likeable characters and are very consistent.

While Irwin didn't bomb forward like Evra he scored a lot of goals from frees penos. He was reliable in defence and I still think he edges it. Evra's catching up tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Heinze should not be mentioned at all. Evra and Irwin are similar as they are both likeable characters and are very consistent.

While Irwin didn't bomb forward like Evra he scored a lot of goals from frees penos. He was reliable in defence and I still think he edges it. Evra's catching up tho.
and i also thought heinze is now SH1T
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
irwin for me helps that hes irish too;)

nah but seriously iriwn was great nevr ever rember hearing one supporter of any team say a bad word agansit him! which speaks volumes for the lad! i still rember hearing he was going to be retiring from internationals and i went bizarke and shed a tear or two:eek:


evra is on the way of catching up with him though and not just catching up with him been remberd as one of the best left backs in history imo! he is the complete full backin the modren game! he has everything! he is fast he can tackle for the size of him he can head! hes always an out ball! bombs forward! gets crosses in! hes simply amazing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
For me there is simply no argument- Irwin it is by a country mile of full backs I hav e seen over the last 25 years.

i remember ferguson remarking after one game that that was only the second mistake Irwin had made in his entire united career and that was in his 12th and final year at the club!!!

Denis had everything you would want as a full back- he could defend,he could offer an offensive threat both in terms of passing and goalscoring. don't forget he scored 32 goals during his time at united which far outweighs any other contribution from any other full back. he could also be just as comfortable at right full-something evra cannot boast about.

dont get me wrong i like evra as a player and a person and is the quickest full back I have ever come across but to be mentioned in the same breath as Irwin he needs to be playing for us for at least a decade at the level he is currently at.

Case closed imo;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,605 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
Manchester United's left-backs:

Fred Erentz (Scotland), 1892-1902, 303 appearances, 9 goals
George Stacey (England), 1907-1915, 270 appearances, 9 goals
Jack Silc.o.c.k. (England), 1919-1934, 449 appearances, 2 goals
Jack Griffiths (England), 1934-1944, 173 appearances, 1 goal
John Aston Sr (England), 1946-1954, 284 appearances, 30 goals (30 goals as a left-back, great)
Roger Byrne (England), 1951-1958, 280 appearances, 20 goals (the Busby Babes, we will never forget)
Noel Cantwell (Irish Rep.), 1960-1967, 146 appearances, 8 goals
Francis Burns (Scotland), 1967-1972, 156 appearances, 7 goals
Stewart Houston (Scotland), 1974-1980, 250 appearances, 16 goals
Arthur Albiston (Scotland), 1974-1988, 485 appearances, 7 goals
Ashley Grimes (Irish Rep.), 1977-1983, 107 appearances, 11 goals
Lee Martin (England), 1988-1994, 109 appearances, 2 goals
Mal Donaghy (Northern Ireland), 1988-1992, 119 appearances, 0 goals
Quinton Fortune (South Africa), 1999-2006, 126 appearances, 11 goals
Patrice Evra (France), since 2006, 122 appearances, 2 goals

To mention some of our greatest left-backs. :p
So my favourites are in bold.
The best one is not even there - TONY DUNNE!!! Who the hell compiled this list?

534 appearances

2 goals and thousands upon thousands of successful tackles!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Red Devil said:
The best one is not even there - TONY DUNNE!!! Who the hell compiled this list?

534 appearances

2 goals and thousands upon thousands of successful tackles!!!
I listed some left-backs. These aren't all.
 
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Top