Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Platini attacks top-flight set-up

Uefa president Michel Platini has launched a scathing attack on the influx of foreign owners in the Premier League over the last few years.

He said: "If you bring people from Qatar and there is no-one from Liverpool or Manchester at the club, where is Liverpool or Manchester?

"I think it is not good. I think the Qataris should invest in Qatar.

"They should develop the football in each country. Can we do something against it? I will try to."

Nine of the 20 English Premier League clubs have foreign owners.

Manchester City are the latest Premier League side to have been taken over after Thaksin Shinawatra sold the club to Abu Dhabi United Group, which is backed by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

Concerned by the influx of foreign owners and players to the Premier League, Platini believes the balance has tipped too far in England.

He continued: "Do you want in Liverpool an Arab sheikh as president with one Brazilian coach and nine or 11 African players?

"Where is Liverpool in that? We have to make some rules.

"What is football? Football is a game and this game has become popular because of the identity.

"You have to have identity, that is where football's popularity lies."

Platini also revealed Uefa would looking at ways of introducing Europe-wide regulations.

"Can we do something against it? I will try to do something, I am not sure it will be possible to do that but I have to see European law, English law, French, German, Russian, Ukrainian, many."

The former French playmaker also criticised English clubs for poaching underage players from abroad as he stressed the need to "control the transfer of minors".

"When you buy Ronaldo or Pele or Maradona or Robinho, I have no problem. But when you buy players at 13, 14 or 15 years, I don't like that," he said.

"One player aged 11 is coming from Marseille to Chelsea. For the mother you think that is good?"

the man cant keep his trap shut about english football what banker spelt with a W:eek:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd really like to punch this guy in the mouth. The sad thing is, every time his hate for England and the English game is brought up he just laughs it off and denies it.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piazza said:
I'd really like to punch this guy in the mouth. The sad thing is, every time his hate for England and the English game is brought up he just laughs it off and denies it.
the blokes just a ***** to be honest its clear he dont like english football so why dont he just come out and say it

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
what an absolute pillock this fella is...does he actually have any idea of what he's talking about.oh probably not. most parents would be delighted that they're kids are being looked after by the big clubs.it's blatantly obvious that he detests english football.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For a guy that was an extremely intelligent player in his day. He is extremely naive when it comes to sport, business and life. How is he going to implement a rule where people from one country cannot be involved in the financial side of teams in other countries?

What next, players from France can only play in France? Or lets take this further, people who come from Spain can only work in Spain. The mind boggles, it really does.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
as i've said before on threads about platini-what happened...one of the world's greatest ever player who i saw play in the flesh ( amazing night) has turned into the worst sort of football politician.seemingly having to be controversial about everything he does and for some reason having a grudge against the english game.

he should turn his attention to more important things...

- the disaster that is the french league, our lower leagues are better supported.

- match fixing scandals which seem commonplace in italy and now with russia and it's wealth and propensity for corruption things will only get worse.

- the racism endemic to certain countries, which both fifa and uefa ignore with pathetic fines and slaps on the wrist.

platini- grow a pair and get things sorted!!! and comb your hair

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I can't stand Platini. He has a valid point on this occasion but why single out England? Do no other clubs in World football have foreign owners?

He's always bleating on about what's wrong with the English game. Well let me tell you something Platini, there is somehitng wrong with the French game - it's rubbish!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ha ha this guy is a joke in all respects.

i take this as a compliment really.
hes moaning abut overseas owners/players in the english game.
why?because in recent years loads more have arrived....but why have they arrived??...

because the premiership is the best league in the world;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts