Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On good friday 1915 united faced liverpool at old trafford in what was a vital game for utd.

Struggling in the relegation zone,utd were desperate for the points to avoid the drop into division 2.

Liverpool on the other hand were safe in mid table with nothing to play for.

It was a game utd needed to win and they went on to win 2-0 .
the game might have passed by unremarked upon if it were not for some strange betting patterns .
The ref thought it a peculier match and one or two papers commented on liverpools lack of interest .

There was plenty of jeering at the match and liverpool had missed a penalty but utd won and as liverpools form had been poor of late it was put down to poor liverpool game .

Two weeks later handbills were handed out in the manchester area offering a 50 pound reward for any information to prove that the match had been fixed .

The handbills were published by a firm of bookies called the Football Kings that alleged that a large number of bets involving huge sums had been placed at 7-1 on a 2-0 utd win .
Football betting in those days was common but correct score bets rare .
The football league launched a six month investigation which unearthed clear evidence that the result had been fixed .

3 utd players , 4 liverpool players and a chester player were involved and all were banned from the game for life . Sandy Turnball,Enoch west and Arthur Whalley were the united players and liverpool player Jackie sheldon who had played for utd acted as the go between .

Enoch west denied it and launched an unsuccesful libel action .

At the end of the war all players bans were lifted apart from wests in an act of magnanimity .

west was not forgiven till 1945 by which time he was a bitter old man .

So remember folk nothing is new and grandads generation could be far more crooked than todays .:)

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unreal i post a really interesting thread and nobody cares ! i post about a microwave burger and kapow !!! note to self know your target audience --- drunken burger munchers !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Haggler. I couldn't remember their names or the year. The worst thing was that Swann and kay were really good players and it was a shock at the time when the news broke.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crazy how greed gets the better of players sometimes .

italian scandal recently was even worse as the players /clubs involved were already minted .

reminds me of the baseball scandal of just after first world war red or white sox cant remember which -- say it aint so joe say it aint so .

we love sport for its purity and the thought that on any given day if a team raises its game and another misfires dreams can come true . then along come things like these to kill those thoughts

druggies in sport do the same . i saw ben johnson blitz lewis and cheered him to the rafters believing i had witnessed greatness only to have been sold a pup

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
haggler said:
crazy how greed gets the better of players sometimes .

italian scandal recently was even worse as the players /clubs involved were already minted .

reminds me of the baseball scandal of just after first world war red or white sox cant remember which -- say it aint so joe say it aint so .

we love sport for its purity and the thought that on any given day if a team raises its game and another misfires dreams can come true . then along come things like these to kill those thoughts

druggies in sport do the same . i saw ben johnson blitz lewis and cheered him to the rafters believing i had witnessed greatness only to have been sold a pup
Cycling is completely ruined and the Olympics to an extent.

I hope you're not talking about Joe Di Maggio there hags :eek: Are you?

Money rules over everything now, everything, we can even see that in the United crest :rolleyes:

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no one of the chicago players was quizzed by a young boy on newsreel as he came out of inquiry . jolting joe was much later

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
good snippet Hags.....
Sandy Turnball was one of the players done.
If I remember rightly he scored the winner in the 1909 FA cup final
for United.........
Id never heard that story though Hags so good snippeting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts