Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he will be more attacking this year

Owen Hargreaves has vowed Manchester United fans will see much better from him after claiming he was never more than 60 per cent fit last season.
The midfielder was plagued by a tendinitis problem last term, an injury which resurfaced at the start of this season.
Armed with the knowledge gained from 12 months ago, United's medical staff feel they have got on top of the injury.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Are they saying he is fully fit now?

Im happy with most of his performance for us last season and if he can do better, than that is certainly good news for us. Interesting to see the competition for placing between him, carrick, scholes and anderson. Sir Alex will have trouble in choosing his midfield maestro but that is an advantage isnt it.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol keano and hargreave will me more better than ballack surely

i like when this midfield play

ronaldo carrick andersson hargreave // nani andersson hargreaves and giggs

sub in both for carrick scholes

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
ye im a big fan of hargo. true professional, stays away from the media and loves playing football. long live his ot career :)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hargreaves' shock revelation: I was never fully fit last season
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1046792/Hargreaves-shock-revelation-I-fully-fit-season.html?ITO=1490

Owen Hargreaves has vowed Manchester United fans will see much better from him
after claiming he was never more than 60% fit last season.

The midfielder was plagued by a tendinitis problem last term, an injury which
resurfaced at the start of this season.

Armed with the knowledge gained from 12 months ago, United's medical staff feel
they have got on top of the injury.

And while Sir Alex Ferguson feels next Monday's Barclays Premier League trip to
Portsmouth may come too soon for Hargreaves, the 27-year-old is confident than
when he does eventually make an appearance he will be around for good.

'There is a lot more to come from me,' he said.

'I don't think I played a game healthy last season. I was at about 50 or 60%
at best.

'When I had another scan on the knee this summer it had not improved, so I
came back early to try to fix it at the beginning of pre-season.

'Hopefully I will be fit pretty soon.'

Hargreaves knows he is being missed, especially now midfield colleague Michael
Carrick has joined a massive list of absentees.

The former Bayern Munich man is also being forced to sit out England's friendly
with the Czech Republic on tomorrow and, quite possibly, the crucial World Cup
qualifiers with Andorra and Croatia next month.

However, while he is understandably frustrated at not being able to play any
part at present, Hargreaves remains confident everything will turn out fine in
the end, just as it did last term as he ended up a Premier League and Champions
League winner.

'I am not going to set a timetable but I am close,' he said.

'I am working on my fitness every day and while I have not joined in with the
lads yet, hopefully it will happen this week.

'Whether I am fit for Portsmouth or the match after that, the most important
thing is I am healthy for the rest of the season.'

Hargreaves has no doubt he made the right decision in quitting Bayern Munich
for United, allowing the Calgary-born star to play in the country he opted to
play for.

He could never say Bayern did not have state-of-the-art facilities. However, he
does feel the whole operation at United is geared towards improvement.

'I know how much I better I can get being around the players and coaching
staff here,' he said.

'I have not even come close to fulfilling my potential yet. And, providing I
stay healthy, this could be a really big season for me.'

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Terribly underated during his footballing career, but Owen Hargreaves is finally getting some respect off of the Football world. And boy have we missed some of his qualities already with only one game gone, but things are looking up he's nearly back.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
No doubt hes a quality player.

Hopefully we can fix this tendonitis problem, and he'll be back soon. If he was only 60 per cent fit last season, I would love to see him 100% fit! :eek:

Seriously though, he had a great first season. I can't remember him having a bad game. Lets hope he comes back, but this time to 100% fitness.

And his journey on the international front has been outstanding imo. From being the last 20 min sub, to the boo-boy, to the player that many thought would have saved England's Euro 2008 dream, he has certainly shown what hes made of.

Drew9 said:
Terribly underated during his footballing career, but Owen Hargreaves is finally getting some respect off of the Football world. And boy have we missed some of his qualities already with only one game gone, but things are looking up he's nearly back.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Owen Hargreaves is the kind of player I'm ready to hero-worship and praise.

Unassuming and hard-working with ability to boot, I would not be surprised if he were to wear the captain's armband one day.

When he was at Bayern, I saw him on several occasions and he always looked solid and committed, hardly ever giving the ball away. He was never and will never be spectacular, but he'll give you all he's got. And he's got a lot.

What I found curious about his debut season was that he was more effective when playing on the right - either as full back or as a midfielder. He was running up and down the right, doing well defensively and delivering some mean crosses whenever he went forward.

His displays in the centre of midfield were quite cagey in comparison. He was good at breaking up attacks by the opposition, but hardly started any nice moves, so he wasn't a good 'water carrier'.

I would love for that to change this season.

The same solid defensive displays, but coupled with better usage of the ball and more passes forward to the attackers. He has a sweet right foot and he should use once in awhile to get it to the strikers, not just pass it to the nearest team mate.

I also think Fergie should take advantage of Hargo's crossing by getting him to drift right whenever Man Utd are in possession of the ball and are further up the pitch.

Usually, at this point I'd put up some schema of my preferred tactics, but it's getting really difficult to play my fave players AND play 4-4-2, so I'll leave it at that.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Owen Hargreaves is the kind of player I'm ready to hero-worship and praise.

Unassuming and hard-working with ability to boot, I would not be surprised if he were to wear the captain's armband one day.

When he was at Bayern, I saw him on several occasions and he always looked solid and committed, hardly ever giving the ball away. He was never and will never be spectacular, but he'll give you all he's got. And he's got a lot.

What I found curious about his debut season was that he was more effective when playing on the right - either as full back or as a midfielder. He was running up and down the right, doing well defensively and delivering some mean crosses whenever he went forward.

His displays in the centre of midfield were quite cagey in comparison. He was good at breaking up attacks by the opposition, but hardly started any nice moves, so he wasn't a good 'water carrier'.

I would love for that to change this season.

The same solid defensive displays, but coupled with better usage of the ball and more passes forward to the attackers. He has a sweet right foot and he should use once in awhile to get it to the strikers, not just pass it to the nearest team mate.

I also think Fergie should take advantage of Hargo's crossing by getting him to drift right whenever Man Utd are in possession of the ball and are further up the pitch.

Usually, at this point I'd put up some schema of my preferred tactics, but it's getting really difficult to play my fave players AND play 4-4-2, so I'll leave it at that.
Yeah I agree with everything you said there. Apart from the City (a), Arsenal (a) and Liverpool(a) games I can't think of any games where he stood out at CM.

I don't think he is the player that we thought he is/would be though. He isn't the type of player to just run side to side shielding the defence, he's much more of a dynamic, box - to - box centre mid, thats why IMO he never actually played the DM role except the City away match.

Besides his pace and crossing ability the thing thats impressed me about him is that he shows a lot of passion on the pitch. Off it he seems quite quiet and polite but on the pitch you see how 'into' the game he is.

In the future I can see us playing a midfield 3 of :

Anderson---Hargreaves
---------Carrick---------

That IMO would bring out the best in him as he can go around tackling and harrasing the opposition while Carrick can use his positional sense to 'mop up'.

Its gonna be interesting to see how he plays with Carrick this season in a 2. He played 1 0r 2 times with him last saeason and was poor but that was when they were out of form.

IMO if I was to pick a first 11 then he'd be in it, playing in the same box to box right sided position like he did in the CL final. In a few years imagine a right side of Hargreaves and Rafael :eek: thats some serious pace righ there!

Random point but has anyone notice how often he uses the word 'fabulous'? I swear he never has an interview without saying it atleast once.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
TheManc said:
Yeah I agree with everything you said there. Apart from the City (a), Arsenal (a) and Liverpool(a) games I can't think of any games where he stood out at CM.

I don't think he is the player that we thought he is/would be though. He isn't the type of player to just run side to side shielding the defence, he's much more of a dynamic, box - to - box centre mid, thats why IMO he never actually played the DM role except the City away match.

Besides his pace and crossing ability the thing thats impressed me about him is that he shows a lot of passion on the pitch. Off it he seems quite quiet and polite but on the pitch you see how 'into' the game he is.

In the future I can see us playing a midfield 3 of :

Anderson---Hargreaves
---------Carrick---------

That IMO would bring out the best in him as he can go around tackling and harrasing the opposition while Carrick can use his positional sense to 'mop up'.

Its gonna be interesting to see how he plays with Carrick this season in a 2. He played 1 0r 2 times with him last saeason and was poor but that was when they were out of form.

IMO if I was to pick a first 11 then he'd be in it, playing in the same box to box right sided position like he did in the CL final. In a few years imagine a right side of Hargreaves and Rafael :eek: thats some serious pace righ there!

Random point but has anyone notice how often he uses the word 'fabulous'? I swear he never has an interview without saying it atleast once.
Of all the words to point out you point out fabulous?! The man starts EVERY sentece with "Well, ..." :)

Hand-on-heart, every single interview I've seen of him he starts each sentence with 'Well,..'. check it out.

You're right that he's not the player we thought he would be, but I think we also haven't seen the best of him yet.

If Ronaldo left tomorrow, I'd like to see Hargreaves play on the right and see how it works. He himself has said that he prefers playing in a more central position.

The thing about playing Carrick infront of the defenders and behind Anderson/Hargreaves is that I don't think he'd be fast enough to do the mopping up. You;re right he's got great positional sense, but when the break's on, it's on and I'm thinking Hargreaves pace would be better in that position.

In an interview he said he had the second fastest speed time in the squad behind Ronaldo. That's pretty darn fast.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Well said boys. I fully agree. hargo is one of my favourite players and imo the
most important out of the 4 signings last year.
Some ans dont rate him but Id have him in my first 11 each week, whether he
plays centrally or on the right. This guy has the passion and the fight as well
as the ability. He reminds me a bit of Keano at times and he is a born leader.
People often overlook his dead ball skills as well as his crossing.
Definitely my type of player. Cant wait for him to be fully fit. Watch him go.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Hargreaves is a tank! If he wasn't fully fit against Roma and put that performance in, oooooh baby! My mouth is watering at the prospect of having him play 40% better than that. :D :D :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
People thought Sven was mad picking him for England, and low & behold he turned out to be one of the most industrious and hard working players. A canadian boy trained up by the Germans and at Bayern of all places, so they will know about quality players, hence why they didn't want to lose him and why he was so important. He should be an England regular and I actually think either he or Gerrard should have got the Captaincy. He is better spoken than most players, fluent in two languages, never gets in trouble, works hard and is effective as a footballer, he also has spindley hair like spiders legs so we can make imitation wigs and shout Germanic things at him. Top guy.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for me hargo is better than gerrard and for captaincy i agree with you he must get it he always play with fighting spirit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts