Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always imagined Hargreaves as a driving force in midfield, Like keane was. Im not saying hargreaves is like Keane, but Hargreaves provides that fighting, stamina and tireless drive. I can remember when bayern were to stubborn to let Hargreaves go and we never got him and then he broke his leg for bayern. I really thought f we had got him that time he would have been the keane type of player today injury free.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
There are definite similarities. Thats why Hargo is one of my favourite players.
cos of the fight, determination and passion he shows on the field, just like Keane did.
He is due to play this week, so lets hope he can get a good run in the team
to show what we know he can do.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i also thought hargreaves would be the teams driving force but he will be lucky to play half the games per season with that dodgy knee , i would now make anderson the player to build the midfield around.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
He has totally gone off the radar. I want him to get fit and hold down a constant place in the team now.

As for keane he plays similarly but as a person they couldn't be more different. Hargreaves is nothing like keane in terms of leadership.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
can i see hargreaves dragging us back from two down in italy to go on to cl final and bossing every other midfielder of his generation mmmmmmm nopey

he is more a deschamps water carrier type player if he ever plays more than 20 games a season that is ---- i fear we may have another saha on our hands

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
he's a good player ... he has a leadership i can see
but one thing i really hate is that.. he always got injuries
i wish him to be our next keane.. but first he needs to
overcome his injuries!
;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For me he is the replacement of Roy Keane. His not the exact same perhaps character wise but football and position wise he is. In addition he has that never die attitude & is a great DMC & can even play an attacking role on either wing or even from the centre, which Keano never brought. & don't forget the great job he did ar RB!

His best position imo is the DMC & I remember that role he played after he broke his foot and came back from injury & played a man of the match performance vs Real Madrid in the Champions League. He was outstanding and from then on I really wanted him to complete his move to us! & does anyone remember his performance vs Liverpoo last season at An-failed? Him and Anderson & how they bossed the centre of the pitch? Simply amazing imo. & he wrote himself into my good books for sure when he scored that winner vs l'Arse at OT last season!

For me he brings more than what Keano did on the table in footballing terms & I certainly will choose him as my first choice holding midfielder if I was Fergie.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
have said all along in many posts that he should have made the midfield general role his own by now, but injuries and the fact he can't therefore get a run in the team are making that an impossibility....whether he evetually gets injury free remains to be seen.
only difference is that he aint got the keano leadership qualities, but he could have made up for them with his play.....problem is with hargo is that at the moment it is all " if " and " when ".

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He's one of the most dynamic player we have. Much like John O'Shea, he can play anywhere on the pitch, however he is more then useful in any spot unlike Johnny. Owen can really bomb forward AND track back when he's on the wing. On a lighter note, I watched the movie Crimson Tide in its entirety specifically because there was a guy named Hargreaves in it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Theres no doubting Hargreaves' quality.

However, tendonitis is a complex condition, and there doesn't seem to be an infinite cure for it. I have a fear that we won't get the see the very best of Hargreaves, and the very best of him on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
SPARKIC did you ever see keane play because he is the best midfielder the premiership has seen and was the dominant force for over 10 years.to say hargreave's brings more to the table is totally bizzare and you obviously did not see keane in full flow , i noticed your 17 and i guess your generation never saw the best of him .
hargreave's a good player and i just hope he regains full fitness because utd really needs him but roy keane was a totally different class my friend and hargreave's could never be anywhere near keano's legendry status in utds history .

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
like hargreaves,he's a great player,works so hard for us,but keane was an all round great for utd,hard as nails,and gave his all,he scared the beejesus out of the opposing teams,i don't think hargreaves has that,don't think any one has that.keane was a one man winning machine,loved him.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Its so rare to find a player like Keane in football, their isn't a player in the premiership at the moment that could boss a game like keane did.
Its very unfair to compare the two of these players as Hargreaves is not even near the same personality as Keane.
Dont get me wrong Owen is a great player and i hope he can make a name for himself here but asking him to be our new Roy of the Rovers is not on

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VaVaVoom said:
Its so rare to find a player like Keane in football, their isn't a player in the premiership at the moment that could boss a game like keane did.
Its very unfair to compare the two of these players as Hargreaves is not even near the same personality as Keane.
Dont get me wrong Owen is a great player and i hope he can make a name for himself here but asking him to be our new Roy of the Rovers is not on

Im not trying to compare them, just trying to say that owen has that drive, he is a player that for 90 minutes he still plays like he at the start of the game. A player that continues to fight even if we are losing by 2 goals at any point of the 90 minutes. Just like keanes attribute, get the ball and continues to get forward at make things happen throughout the match when we are losing or drawing

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
trikam patel said:
Im not trying to compare them, just trying to say that owen has that drive, he is a player that for 90 minutes he still plays like he at the start of the game. A player that continues to fight even if we are losing by 2 goals at any point of the 90 minutes. Just like keanes attribute, get the ball and continues to get forward at make things happen throughout the match when we are losing or drawing
Yes i totally agree with you that Hargo has a winning mentality, love the way he gives us his all no matter where Fergie puts him on the pitch.
He is a good example to be fair.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I can see some similarities in that they both are very passionate on the pitch, but thats where it ends IMO.

I can't see Hargreaves going up to someone like Giggs or Scholes and berating them, almost forcing them into raising there game as he seems to have a lot of respect for them (which he should). Keane on the other hand had no respect for reputations when he was on the pitch. Obviously he had a ton of respect for them as people and players after and before matches, but as Giggs said in his DVD he didn't care what your reputation was, if you weren't playing up to your normal standard he'll let you know about it. I can't really see Hargreaves doing this.

From a playing point ov view I still don't think there that similar. Yes, both players would run 123839282 miles in a match and chase down every single ball, but to me Hargreaves doesn't have the same footballing brain as Keane did. His 1 touch passing for instance is completely different. Hargreaves will get the ball, run with it then either pass or cross.

Hargreaves doesn't have that presence either. Opponents used to fear Keane, wheras Hargreaves isn't really an intimidating player.

I don't think Hargreaves will be our Roy Keane. No one will be our new Roy Keane. Hargreaves will be his own version with a few similar traits to Keane.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah he is not player that commands the team (leader). More of a player that gets the team forward. If the team needs to calm the situation down then hargreaves is a player that will keep possession. Bit if we need a goal then if scholes cant find that wa through hargreaves will do his best to keep the ball and keep the ball moving towards the goal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts