Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Oliver Kay and Matt Dickinson
Friday April 04 2008

OWEN Hargreaves' peripheral role at Manchester United is not down to poor form but disciplinary issues, sources at the club say.

In particular, Alex Ferguson is known to have been angered by his poor timekeeping, with Hargreaves turning up late for several team meetings.

Signed for a projected £20.2m from Bayern Munich last summer, Hargreaves has found himself fourth or even fifth choice in central midfield as United chase domestic and European trophies. It is understood that the manager has been punishing Hargreaves for being late.

Most recently, he was late to arrive at Manchester airport on Monday morning before the squad flew to Italy for their Champions League quarter-final, first leg away to AS Roma.

Hargreaves was left out of the starting line-up in Rome, but made an impressive impact as a second-half substitute in United's 2-0 win.

Hargreaves' future at Old Trafford is not thought to be in immediate jeopardy, but he has been left in no doubt that he must clean up his act. (© The Times, London)

- Oliver Kay and Matt Dickinson

·
23,699 Posts
:eek:

Oh behave, Hargo. Discipline is only but a basic pre-requisite to being an accomplished player, don't you know?:rolleyes: :( :eek:

Maybe this forum's rules might help.. Verbal warning, written warning, ban for one day, 7 days and finally, forever. Lol.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
if this is true, i will have to judge him....
as a professional, this is the most basic thing and he is having problems following them. hope he better cleans up his act, and real soon....

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i am shocked to hear that,with hargreaves spending all that time in germany where they are the masters of discipline.i still think hargreaves has a big future at utd in big games where he is brilliant at breaking up the opponents midfield,next season i think he will be a regular in the team but he must stop upsetting the boss to achieve this.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Stupid paper talk for me!

I'd say he was late once or twice and the media have decided to jump on him.

No worries in my corner! ;)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Would explain stuff i suppose.

I admire him as a player i think he is a great footballer he showed this in the world cup, but i cant see this being a regular thing, im sure hes done it a couple of times and then this one is maybe the third therefore its angered Fergie.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
seen fergies inerview on sky sports news and he says he does not know where thi stories come from lol ? paper talk i cannot see hargo as the type to disrupt team spirit and being late?? it's gota be nonsense :) he'll be one of the players that that wins us trophies this season :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scott 4 evra said:
no dn't believe it. i just don't tink he's playing because he is not as good as our other midfielders. by quite a bit.
At the same time I don't think we've seen the best from him yet. He doesn't look as good as comfortable in our team as he did at Bayern. I'm very much looking forward to him finding his feet. Either at right back or as a defensive midfielder.

·
23,699 Posts
It was a shocking relevation to say the least for an often-touted model professional. If indeed true, I do think Fergie did the right thing. I am totally behind him on this.

He needs to be firm and bold about such things, no matter how controversial or 'painful' to fans, to inculcate a sense of discipline for the good of both the team and the development of the player himself. Only necessary for an interim period, I hope, but in the long run, it will certainly bear the fruit that we, the fans, hope to witness and enjoy.

And who else can do it better than Fergie.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
he looks every inch the frizzy haired slacker so i believe every word .

some may say haggler shut up you hate him as a player and take every excuse to put him down !

they would be right !

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Hargreaves central to Fergie plans
Apr 5 2008

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists Owen Hargreaves has a big role to play as his team chases glory on two fronts.

Ferguson has dismissed reports claiming the former Bayern Munich midfielder had angered him because of poor timekeeping and instead praised Hargreaves for the impact he made after coming on as a substitute in the 2-0 Champions League victory against Roma in midweek.

The England international could face Middlesbrough on Sunday and Ferguson said: "In many ways he changed the pattern of the game for us the other night. He did a fantastic job when he came on and he will be involved again on Sunday."

With six games remaining in the Barclays Premier League, United are in the driving seat but Chelsea and Arsenal could still overtake them.

Ferguson, however, remains single-minded, knowing they face a difficult game at Middlesbrough, who lost narrowly to Chelsea at the weekend.

He said: "It is important to do our own job well. With only two home games left, we have to make sure our form stays strong.

"We are approaching the finishing line. There is not long to go now but sometimes it is a lifetime away.

"At this time, nerves can play a part and form can play a part. We have to be consistent.

"We have to make sure we are at our best against Middlesbrough. There is no question they should have got something from the game with Chelsea."

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Im suprised at this story but to be honest he has been our 4th best central midfielder this season anyway there is still more to come from owen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts