Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mascherano played a lot more games for Liverpool than has Hargreaves. Hargreaves made a positive pre-season impact but his injury issue was a big problem, on off on off. Seems have cleared up now, time to cement a place in the first team maybe?

Mascherano has proven himself better in the EPL thus far. I guess Hargreaves would if he were similarly thrown into the deep end having to play every game this season. :cool:

Don't matter what that former scouser says./ hargreaves still scored a belter of a free kick - before masheranorealised he could score goals. lol

What role do you think hargreaves plays in our team? Compare his performances to the role of mascherano at liverpool and contrast their styles. You should conclude by giving a summary on their roles.

let's see who cando the 3000 word essay firswt
lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stevie wonder

You guys are havin a laugh right, tryin to compare the monster masch to hargreaves, not a hope, anyone who's impartial in the whole game if forced to pick a holding midfielder from the two would leave poor old owen back in the changing rooms(with John o'shea). Masch is world class, hargreaves is a bit of a pretender, from a team that had roy keane at the healm for so long, should at least be able to spot his equal.And that ain't hargreaves.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
First of all, I have to admit that Mascherano has been possibly the most improved player in the league this season. His passing now is as good as any other midfielders and he is turning into the complete player with a nsuperb individual goal against Reading at the weekend.

Mascherano is not just the midfield terrier anymore, he creates now for Liverpool and his passing relieves pressure and structures the team. Also of course, he is one of the most determined players in the league and a fierce tackler.

He has turned out to be Liverpools best signing in years after only Torres.

Hargreaves has a sound enough start to his premiership life at OT. He hasn't exceeded expectations at all but he hasn't been poor either.

Like Mascherano, he cleans up in midfield with his tough tackling and exceptional fitness levels.

However, I would say Hargreaves offers very little in creative ability, less so than Mascherano. Hargreaves is a good work-horse who has gotten himself to where he is today by sheer determination and some talent.

However, he has a deadly free kick and when he is fully fit, he is a great man to battling for you in midfield, especially against the more physical teams.

Conclusion:

On current form, Mascherano is the better player but we have to give Hargreaves time to prove himself and to regain his fitness.

I'll return to this topic at the end of this season or perhaps next Christmas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mascherano has looked better cos he has played more
but hargreaves has had better performances wen he has played...... he took da arsenal and liverpools midfield apart wen we played dem ..... they couldnt get goin.....
well in Hargreaves... u is quality!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both are great players and very effective in their positions.

May have possibly prefered Mascherano, but Hargreaves is a top player and when he plays he always does a great job with his role so am perfectly happy with him right now.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
So this topic crops up right after Mascherano scores his first ever goal
for Pool. Yes it was a belter but thats probably the last goal he will get
for a long while. Along with Torres and Gerrard, Mascherano is Pool's best
player by a long shot. He mops up so well and is like a terrier in the tackle.

I think its unfair to compare him so soon to Hargo, who has had injuries
and had to fight his way into the best midfield bunch in Europe.
I think they are the same really. Id be as happy having Masch but there
is no way he is far better than Hargo. I wont accept that at all.
In case some of you have forgotten he was England's best player at
the World cup.

Hargo doesnt need flair in his game, he does the same job as Masch does,
which is breaking up the oppositions attacks. If we had Hargo last year,
you cant tell me he wouldnt have helped contain Kaka, when our defence
wasnt all there.

Anyway I think the answer of the thread topic will be there for all to see
at the end of the season when United are picking up trophies and
th Scousers arent;-)

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colie said:
You guys are havin a laugh right, tryin to compare the monster masch to hargreaves, not a hope, anyone who's impartial in the whole game if forced to pick a holding midfielder from the two would leave poor old owen back in the changing rooms(with John o'shea). Masch is world class, hargreaves is a bit of a pretender, from a team that had roy keane at the healm for so long, should at least be able to spot his equal.And that ain't hargreaves.
Same job, hassling and stressing tough taclking and puttin in the simple effective pass, stop attacksand preventing them from doing a counter attack.

mascherano prefers to sit back in his zonal area, make the odd run forward. reminds me of makalele only more expansive and better at pssing. MAscherano is an excellente. but was poor when he first made his introduction to the premiership. Not poor, but not as effective as he is now. Give Hargeaves time tillthe end of next season then we'll see how much of a quality player he is.

He's got excellent free kicks, scored from his first one :D.

I'm just thankful we have 2 great players in the premiership. The Argies are showing how good they can become in the British leagues and i'#m hoping more will follow.

God if only we could find another Gabraiel Batistuta.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hargraves is Very good, and a great player all round, give him time especially in the champions league he could be very key.
I dont know what everyone expected Hargreaves to do hes not exactly going to score millions of goals over anything i think hes had a couple of MOM's as well :|
But Masch is good and probably better as a holding player.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Colie said:
Mate, in fairness, Hargreaves has been struggling with injury for the whole season and has not played a game where he has been fully fit.

On the other hand, I agree Mascherano is top-class, maybe not world, but an excellent player and ahead of Hargreaves at the moment.

But as I already said, give Hargreaves time, let him get back to fitness and then compare the two.

And yes I agree, Of course he is no Keane and probably never will be, but he still deserves my respect as a United fan and I hope he can do his best for and help the club to glory like Keano did.

ManUtd08 said:
who give shit about mashcerano init
Language!!! Please refrain from using vulgar language. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Hargreaves is wonderful. He probably has more energy but Mascherano is better technically. As for ball winning I might be tempted to go for Mascherano over Hargreaves. Oh and I'd take Carrick over both. :)

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
tice14 said:
mascherano has looked better cos he has played more
but hargreaves has had better performances wen he has played...... he took da arsenal and liverpools midfield apart wen we played dem ..... they couldnt get goin.....
well in Hargreaves... u is quality!!!!!!!!
Type in english please, thats crap!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Hargreaves is wonderful. He probably has more energy but Mascherano is better technically. As for ball winning I might be tempted to go for Mascherano over Hargreaves. Oh and I'd take Carrick over both. :)

lmao - in your dreams...just kidding - they're all wonderfull players but mascherano is way ahead of those 2----hargreaves started good but now - he hasn't mantained the same form, pace, whatever

·
Registered
216 Posts
as great as Hargreaves is, there are currently two great defensive midfeilders in the premeirship, thats mascherano and flamini (the arsenal chap), Hargreaves has to get fit and establish himself before he can be compared to these two

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
It was Ronnie Whelan that raised all this nonsense.

We ran the story in the News Room too ...

So of course it is biased ... :p
Ronnie Whelan talks a lot of crap to be honest. He "isn't sure" about Anderson. :rolleyes: Also he is so biased towards Liverpool on Irish Premiership highlights.

·
Registered
854 Posts
mascherano is absolute quality. he is as important to liverpool as gerrard and torres. he has been fantastic this season for liverpool and is much better than sissoko. He covers so much ground also.

I haven't been convinced at all bout hargreaves but hopefully he shows his class in the title run in. Away games to chelsea, roma, maybe barca that will show how valuable hargreaves is imo.

this season i dont tink any1 can argue mascherano has been the best between the 2 so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts