Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Manchester United and England star Owen Hargreaves faces up to six months on the sidelines after agreeing to have an operation to cure a long-standing knee condition.

United have decided to put their £18million midfielder under the knife after a course of injections to manage the tendinitis in his knee failed to resolve the problem.

Besides missing the vast majority of United's Premier League and Champions League games, it means the 27-year-old is also almost certainly out of England's key World Cup qualifier against Ukraine at Wembley on April 1.

A source said: 'The doctors hoped the injections would help the problem but everyone has accepted now it needs another approach. 'Owen has been very down but is hopeful this will help the problem in the long term. United paid a lot of money for Owen so there is pressure for him to do well. But his injury has stopped him showing what he can do.'

Canadian-born Hargreaves, who last played on September 21, against Chelsea, has endured a stop-start career at United since arriving from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2007.

He missed most of the first half of last season with his troublesome knee but returned to play a major part in United eventually winning the Premier League and Champions League double.

He was arguably United's man of the match in the famous Champions League final victory against Chelsea in Moscow.

However, this season has been a disaster with the tigerish midfield player appearing only three times for United and failing to play for England after Fabio Capello publicly declared him a central part of his plans.

Having chased Hargreaves for more than a year, manager Sir Alex Ferguson had hoped Hargreaves could avoid a long lay-off from an operation.

But the player has continued to be bothered by discomfort in his knee and all sides have now accepted it was the best long-term option.

Newcastle and England legend Alan Shearer missed several months of the 2000-01 season to have two operations for his knee tendinitis and returned to play at the top level until he was 36.

With Hargreaves now out for a substantial period, Sir Alex Ferguson has pencilled in the FIFA Club World Cup for Paul Scholes' return from a knee injury. It takes place in Japan in December.

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-Man-Uniteds-Hargreaves-months.html?ITO=1490

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, this hasn't been confirmed by manutd.com or Sky Sports yet, so I won't look into it too much atm.

But if its true is disappointing. Hes already missed a lot of football for us, and missing him for another 6 months is a blow, even though the centre of midfield is one, if not our most, covered position.

However, then again if the procedure works, it'll be a big boost for when hes fit and hopefully he won't have any side-effects, such as injury-prone knees. But I did read somewhere that surgery isn't always guaranteed to work with tendonitis, so we'll just have to wait and hope that it does.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Ffs terrible news (if true). At least its the only sure way to get it sorted.
Shearer had the operation and came back as good as ever.
Lets just hope he gets over it 100% and we can look forward to having him
back towards the end of the season.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good imo . Lets get what ever is wrong with him sorted once and for all . We'll have him back for the business end of the season . I think if we are honest with ourselves then we can afford to lose a midfielder . Dont get me wrong I'm one of Owen's biggest fans but we dont want him turning into another Saha . I'm a bit miffed how we didnt see this one coming . What sort of medical did he have .

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Its probably imperative that he gets the surgery, so long as it will cure his long-term tendinitis problem. However, its still a huge blow for us, but I wouldn't be shocked if he makes a speedier than anticipated recovery should he have the surgery.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Thats madnes...6 months !!!
Wel I guess Its better this way than him playing one game and then being out for weeks. I hope his knee is totally fixed by the time he gets back !!

Good luck Hargo

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
As long as this sorts his problem out for good, then best wishes too him, and hope for a speedy recovery. Provided this is true of course. It is a big shame though, he would have been so valuable too us this season in both major competitions.

G

·
Not one quote in the whole article.....only a so called "source", which could be the young lad helping out in the megawhore.

source, daily mail :rolleyes:

G

·
SALFORD RED said:
Not one quote in the whole article.....only a so called "source", which could be the young lad helping out in the megawhore.

source, daily mail :rolleyes:

Usually when I read that 'a source has said', i generally take it to mean 'this is what we're making up to sell papers'.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Blade said:
Usually when I read that 'a source has said', i generally take it to mean 'this is what we're making up to sell papers'.

Yeah, I don't believe this story. It was only a few weeks ago when the club said the only cure for his problem was time and rest. :confused:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
As far as I'm concerned he should have gone under the knife, as they say, long ago.

6 months is better than early retirement.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
We're still awaiting official confirmation of this. The only media to have reported this so far are the Mail on Sunday and Goal.com.

If the rumours are true then it is a big blow for Hargreaves and United. However, if it sorts out the problem for good then it could be worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts