Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Why sell O'shea. He has never expressed desire to play for another club and i'm certain everyone wants him to stay.

Just what is the point in this thread?

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
RichardsReds said:
Why sell O'shea. He has never expressed desire to play for another club and i'm certain everyone wants him to stay.

Just what is the point in this thread?

What was the point of your gym thread it was put out there to see people's point of view richard do some sit ups u look like u have a chubby belly

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
We cant only have 11 senior player and reserves on sub bench. Johnny is a category of players who gives your team glory. He fits in wherever the manager asks him to play and he can sit on the bench a couple of games and no moaning like other 'team players' can start moaning if they are not picked for a game he got to get first team football.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
fazman said:
What was the point of your gym thread it was put out there to see people's point of view richard do some sit ups u look like u have a chubby belly
I know i'll focus on sit ups harder! It's hard tho going out on the weekends and getting lashed then keeping a 6 pack!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
fazman said:
Ive noticed of late John o shea isnt getting the minutes on the field he has in the past and was wondering if anyone agreed with my opinion united may be tempted to cash in on the big irishman . A great servent over the years his flexability has been outdone by a certain mr hargreaves which is the main reason for me Big john may leave in the summer so what do you think ?
you made a good point fazman o shea has not been used much this season ,and hargreaves is a much better player so its not gonna get any easier to get in the side .and one thing is certain with the size of the squad players will be sold in the summer to allow for new signings , players like o'shea ,saha,dong,silvestre ,fletcher are all possible leavers its a fact.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
burnzy1987 said:
i agree.

you gotta love "when jonny goes marching down the wing, OSHEA...OSHEA!!!"
I'd keep him for that reason alone!!!
cant believe Liverpool stole it!!

O'Shea is so annoying how crap he is cos I know how good he is (played against him once in a non competitive situation.. and he's the best I've ever seen!)! If he actually looked up and passed to his own team mates he'd be in the top player category,.. not that most of ye care but he is pathetic in an Ireland jersey 9 times out of 10!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Too be successfull over long campaigns...you need to have Strength-of-Squad to make it.

Teams can have the biggest names in football playing for them but its the quality of the lesser known squad players that plays the most important part in the long run.

John O'Shea is a quailty squad player...loyal, versitile and at peace with his role at the club...understanding how important he is in his own right.

Please don't go John! We need you...more than ever!

·
Registered
309 Posts
eoininho said:
I'd keep him for that reason alone!!!
cant believe Liverpool stole it!!

O'Shea is so annoying how crap he is cos I know how good he is (played against him once in a non competitive situation.. and he's the best I've ever seen!)! If he actually looked up and passed to his own team mates he'd be in the top player category,.. not that most of ye care but he is pathetic in an Ireland jersey 9 times out of 10!
have to agree as a fellow paddy that O'shea has been a major flop playing for Ireland although his recent performances have been more encouraging.

I feel O'Shea will go the way Phil neville/ nicky butt went in that after a number of years service its time to actually get more first team football especially as you approach your late 20's. i think as the first person said in the opening post that he was mr versatile but Fergie seems to have him further down the pecking order with Silvestre playing at left full against chelsea and hargo playing against the hammers and barca. These would have been games the Deise man would have been a shoe in up to recently when any of the first choice back 4 were injured or rested.

i wonder if Fergie really rates him and will he keep him this summer as if I were Johnno i would be asking that question in light of his recent demotion. Certainly if it continues the way its going till Christmas I would be handing in a transfer request as no player as seasoned as o' shea can be content with 2 minutes here or 2 minutes there. Besides Trapatonni may not pick him any more if he is a constant benchwarmer:D

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wouldn't like to lose John. We need players like John O'Shea, Fletcher and Park etc. to give the squad a good balance. While they may not be world beaters, a team full of stars doesn't always make you the best side, e.g. Chelsea, Real Madrid.

Johnny has played near enough ever position possible. He has played all across the back, in center midfield, as an emergency striker on the opening day of this season against Reading, and who can forget goalkeeper against Tottenham after VDS broke his nose.

I think one thing that works against Sheasy is in fact his versitility. There was a time when he had made the left back spot his own, but with injuries in other positions and the arrival of Gabriel Henize, John found himself without a regular first team position, but filling in all over the place. Since then he has never really had his own position in the side and quite honestly, I'm not sure on what his best position is anymore.

While he may not be a first choice player week in week out, I would much rather we hung onto big John.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
jd_united said:
I wouldn't like to lose John. We need players like John O'Shea, Fletcher and Park etc. to give the squad a good balance. While they may not be world beaters, a team full of stars doesn't always make you the best side, e.g. Chelsea, Real Madrid.

Johnny has played near enough ever position possible. He has played all across the back, in center midfield, as an emergency striker on the opening day of this season against Reading, and who can forget goalkeeper against Tottenham after VDS broke his nose.

I think one thing that works against Sheasy is in fact his versitility. There was a time when he had made the left back spot his own, but with injuries in other positions and the arrival of Gabriel Henize, John found himself without a regular first team position, but filling in all over the place. Since then he has never really had his own position in the side and quite honestly, I'm not sure on what his best position is anymore.

While he may not be a first choice player week in week out, I would much rather we hung onto big John.
Wow great post JD, couldnt have put it better myself.
Jonner will stay at the club he loves and be the great pro that he is.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think his apps were limited this season because we got another utility man in Hargreaves...but I would hold on to both of them because they both can be vital when injuries come!

·
Registered
488 Posts
He's a versatile player... Throughout his carreer, we have seen him playing in all position that SAF wants him to... I have to admit that he has been a great servant but with the number of midfielders we have, I find it rather hard to see him play often...

I mean if some club comes up with a good price, why not?

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think a few are picking up on my point but I do agree big John has been a excellent utility player over the years

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
fazman said:
Ive noticed of late John o shea isnt getting the minutes on the field he has in the past and was wondering if anyone agreed with my opinion united may be tempted to cash in on the big irishman . A great servent over the years his flexability has been outdone by a certain mr hargreaves which is the main reason for me Big john may leave in the summer so what do you think ?
Good question fazman.

His appearances have been limited, especially towards the end of the season, and you have to ask the question 'Do we need 2 utility men now we have Hargreaves?'

I think that if O'Shea is happy to stay knowing that his chances will again be limited next season then Fergie will be happy to keep him - you never know when an injury crisis will strike. However, if he wants regular first team football then I'm sure the boss won't stand in his way.

To the Irish members - do you think a lack of appearances could harm his chances of playing for Ireland?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
Good question fazman.

His appearances have been limited, especially towards the end of the season, and you have to ask the question 'Do we need 2 utility men now we have Hargreaves?'

I think that if O'Shea is happy to stay knowing that his chances will again be limited next season then Fergie will be happy to keep him - you never know when an injury crisis will strike. However, if he wants regular first team football then I'm sure the boss won't stand in his way.

To the Irish members - do you think a lack of appearances could harm his chances of playing for Ireland?

No because we have no defenders. Finnam, Carr and Andy O Brien have
recently retired. We have Dunne who is class and players like Stephen Kelly
who can kinda do a job, Kilbane at left back..... and McShane who's form has
gone to crap. There will always be a place for OShea in the Irish team.

You mention hargo as another utility man, but OShea can also play centre back
and keeper :p which hargo cant. Our squad has enough room for Jonner.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
No because we have no defenders.
Lol.

Fair enough. There's not really any great need for him to move on then. There aren't many other clubs who can offer him the chance to win trophies and play in Europe and if he moved to any of them I'm not sure he'd play many more games.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well it seems many have decided big john has a long future you may be right it is just my opinion that his time is drawing nearer I respect peoples point of view on this though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts