Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has our giggsy found a new home? THE CENTRE OF MIDFIELD.

I remember Fergie testing this out a few years ago and giggs looked far more comfortable there than on the wing as he did not have to raid the touch-line let's face it we can't expect him to do that anymore.

Then Fergie never played him there and i was a bit disappointed and even though i was sad for scholes' injury i was delighted to see giggs play in the centre again. He's been our best player (rooney aside) in the last month. Plus what are opposition defenses thinking when Ronaldo and Nani are attacking the wings and Giggs is running through the centre.

I know we have plenty of centre midfielders to come back but the football we are playing now is amazing to watch and the speed that Giggs turns our defenses into attacks can be seen in our 4th goal against West Brom.

For me this is without doubt the best football Giggs has played in the last few years and I would have no problem if Fergie continued playing him there.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Nice observation....

I'm not sure I would associate Giggsy's performances with the word best, but unlike some, I though he did very well in central midfield against Aalborg and WBA.

He assisted Rooney against Aalborg and Started the movements that led to Rooney's and Nani's goals against WBA, so i was quite encouraged.

Giggsy has a great footballing brain and he distributed the ball very well and he was more convincing that he has been in the past two season when he was put on the wing or played as a striker.

he might not have the legs, but he will be a very vlauable option for fergie to have in the middle of the pitch.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
giggs is a natural for this role.....for one reason the guy has a footballing brain. many other players i.e. lothar matthaus.......if gasgoine had any brains at all he could have prolonged his career by years. the best players who are fit and have a footballing head on them can adapt to other positions in the team and prolong their career.giggsy has another couple of seasons in him doing this role...not in every game but here and there where needed.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I think that Fergie's made a good decision by moving him central, a better utilisation of his efforts of course and he's taken over Scholes' playmaking role well. However, when considering center midfielders, with all of them fit, he'll be 4th or 5th in the pecking order to be honest.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
What absolute rubbish , okay he had a decent first half but like the rest of them , he went totally missing second half .
He might fill in because of injuries but as a central midfielder no way , we missed carrick and scholes and maybe even sicknote hargreaves .
Ryan giggs best days are over , he is a winger full stop and when all the players are fully fit , i hope they use him as a sub for the last half hour when the rest are tiring.
He has been a legend , one of our finest but please dont think he can play centre midfield because we will end up losing more than we win , he is light weight in the big matches when its time to roll the sleeves up and get stuck in he will be found wanting

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
^ A bit harsh there.

He made Fletcher's goal and distributed the ball nicely in the first half. Giggsy then had a poor second half, but the whole team didn't show up.

the main thing I would fault him for today was letting the ball run on to Berba when we were 1-0 up instead of putting it in goal and securing the win.

That was very complacent. As a senior figure Giggs is not using his experience which is quite worrying.

Still thought he had had a good first half and that he can play in central midfield.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I dont think it was harsh just realistic , he had a decent first half no question about that , and his experience is valuable but not as a central midfielder .
You cannot see past scholes carrick anderson and hargreaves when they are all full fit , he has had to fill in because of injuries which is fine , but as a permanent move i do not think so

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
In the 06/07 season Giggs played a fair bit in the centre of the park and we won the league that year.
He has done well this year in that position and has set up a few goals an done well.
But when the big guns come back he will just be a bit part player.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jazz 16 said:
In the 06/07 season Giggs played a fair bit in the centre of the park and we won the league that year.
He has done well this year in that position and has set up a few goals an done well.
But when the big guns come back he will just be a bit part player.

Jazz he never really played there at all that season because Carrick, Fletch and Scholes were there. It was actually the season before that he played there with O Shea.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Im pretty sure it was that season. Scholes was out for ages with his eye complaint
and Carrick with some shoulder thing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i promise u Scholes' eye thing was the season before. His return was actually the main reason we won the league. The season before Keane had left, Scholes got injured so we only had Giggs and O Shea left.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Scholes didnt play the last half of the 06/07 season.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4634118.stm
O'Shea/Giggs played a fair bit in the middle and Carrick when he wasnt injured.
It WAS 06/07 season, when we won the league back.

I'm pretty sure it was the 05/06 season. Remember he was out for the second part of the season and came on as sub with Ole in the last game vs Charlton.

If you rremember he was fine in the last half of the 06/07 season. Remember the flick to Rooney vs Milan? Or getting sent off vs Roma and Liverpool?

In 05/06 we played Giggs - O'Shea at CM and had a great string of results until we got thumped by Chelsea if you remember.

We played the Scholes-Carrick-Fletcher partnership in the big games. Giggs was a winger usually and then towards the end of the season he played CF up until Smith came back.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
come on lads if you really want to see what giggs was all about check your old dvds out, he is only half the player he was .
admittidly he still is a valuable member of the squad but about fifth choice as a central midfield player, i think everyone lets the heart rule the head

1 - 19 of 19 Posts