Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All our hard away games in the first half of the season was it a tough fixture list this season or was taylor made for a title run .

There is two ways to look at it either it was too are advantige or bad for us ?

For me the fixture this season have been a dream United did enough to keep with the top 2 for the first half and have stepped it up for what should be a decent run in .

·
Registered
629 Posts
The fixture list was really tough for us. We did exceptinally well in the first half to stay as close to the top two as possible. The kind of fixture list we had, most of the best teams would have slipped to fourth or fifth by the first half of the season. We always have a better season post-Christmas and the fixtures this year will only highlight that fact.

Playing a lot of home games this month has really been the main reason for our record number of clean sheets. We've done really well and really look set for a third title in a row.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly dont think we can fail with this fixture list on the run in. People think Im jumping the gun a little but I have been watching United for over 20 years and this squad is the best we have ever had in my opinion and when all hit top form like they are now its scares me I think this team would beat the treble team.

·
Registered
629 Posts
red dave said:
I honestly dont think we can fail with this fixture list on the run in. People think Im jumping the gun a little but I have been watching United for over 20 years and this squad is the best we have ever had in my opinion and when all hit top form like they are now its scares me I think this team would beat the treble team.
Why are you scared if this team wins more than the treble team? Wouldn't it be great if we can add another treble to our glorious history?

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
TBH the whole thing of home/away doesnt mean alot.You can play better away,better at home or both.EVERY fixture is tough and will continue to get tougher.You have to play each team twice anyway so wether they are all away,all at home or alternate doesnt make for anything unless you beat them.Yes you have support at home,your own pitch ect,but from what ive seen/heard the away crowd have been far superior to the OT lot depsite the numbers difference.When you're playing with confidence and passion you can beat the lot.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
red dave said:
All our hard away games in the first half of the season was it a tough fixture list this season or was taylor made for a title run .

There is two ways to look at it either it was too are advantige or bad for us ?

For me the fixture this season have been a dream United did enough to keep with the top 2 for the first half and have stepped it up for what should be a decent run in .
TBH we have been very fortunate that Chelski and, to a lesser extent, the dippers have underperformed in games when they should put some serious space between us.

BUT, should we win our next two games, we will only be 1 point off our pace from last season after 24 games (I just looked that up and it surprised me more than a little!). Great teams take advantage of good fortune.

With OT being such a fortress this season, we are in a VERY good position.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moondog said:
TBH we have been very fortunate that Chelski and, to a lesser extent, the dippers have underperformed in games when they should put some serious space between us.

BUT, should we win our next two games, we will only be 1 point off our pace from last season after 24 games (I just looked that up and it surprised me more than a little!). Great teams take advantage of good fortune.

With OT being such a fortress this season, we are in a VERY good position.

I have to agree with that to be honest they have dropped points in some important games.

Having said that they showed the league tables of the last 5 years in the paper the other month and Liverpool were on more points then nearly all but one season so it hasnt been a low points season.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
TBH the whole thing of home/away doesnt mean alot.You can play better away,better at home or both.EVERY fixture is tough and will continue to get tougher.You have to play each team twice anyway so wether they are all away,all at home or alternate doesnt make for anything unless you beat them.Yes you have support at home,your own pitch ect,but from what ive seen/heard the away crowd have been far superior to the OT lot depsite the numbers difference.When you're playing with confidence and passion you can beat the lot.

^^^^You do know we've only dropped 2 points at home. Newcastle on the opening day.

As moondog said "Chelsea and Dippers should have taking advantageof our hard fixtures in the first half of the season"
I believe we can pull away a bit now. We have one hand on the trophy IMO.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
^^^^You do know we've only dropped 2 points at home. Newcastle on the opening day.
Yes i do VaVa,but my point is either way,your going to play them at home & away so whenever this happens doesnt reallly matter.If you had all home games then all away in a season,your still going to get near enough the same results as you would if it was alternated ect.As its proved this season,we have played well in the 'tough' games so when the 'easy' games come we have a good backing of points.But im not one for the whole easy/tough gander,every game in the EPL is tough.

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
I think the fixtures have been a great benefit to us lads. We just had to keep pace with the others until now and when we have a few nicer fixtures really turn ther screw. Hopefully it continues.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It was tough in the start of the season. I was worried when the fixture list came out and with our injuries and tough games (especially away) it could of spelled a disaster if we did not get good results. Since we did, it looks like an advantage for us. Yes we did drop points like Villa away, Spurs away, Everton away, Liverpoo away, Arsenal away, Newcastle home etc but considering our squad available and circumstance we did well and our fellow rivals also dropped even more points than us so its a great advantage.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think the fixture situation would depend on what position we were in. If we were in a bad position in the League then it would have been seen as a disadvantage, but now that we're in a good position it's now going to be seen as an advantage.

We did have a hard first-half of the season, but the second half is very good for us and I think we're in a fantastic position because of the way the first half of the season turned out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts