Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the media making noises saying that the yesterday's penalty decision was controversial and Howard Webb was biased, when it was clear that Gomez brought down Carrick before getting the slightest touch on the ball and it was a penalty.
But they seem to be completely unaware of the extravagant dive of Mascherano when Botaeng was no way near, which lead to a dangerous freekick and a subsequent goal. So what's up with that? Wasn't that their 1st goal also and didn't that effect the game in Liverfool's favor. So why are the media on our back, taking the brilliance of the comeback away from the game, and not on Liverfool's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
because there all liverpool fan's alan green,big nose,hansen lawro etc can get stuffed for all I care. makes our victory more sweeter when there moaning about us.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
To be fair it wasn't a penalty yesterday, I think most of us agree on that.
It was a major turning point in the game, but even after we scored 4 more legitamate goals the commentars, pundits and media all still went back to that one decision.
At the end of the day, we were the better team yesterday against Spurs and we deserved to win the game, no doubt about it.
Going back to your point on Liverpool, your right it wasn't a free-kick in the first place either but Alonso did make the most of the 2nd attempt he had.
The media are always gonna highlight United because we are the most successsful club in the league and there's always gonna be "the big clubs get the big decisions."
In the end of it all who cares what the media thinks, let them write whatever they want.
We'll keep on winning trophies.:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It wasnt a penalty, who cares, who decided to let them selves go when they are stil a goal ahead and sulking and then conceed a further 4?!? Yeah Alan Green does my nut in!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
penalty or not, it makes up for the one utd werent given in the carling cup final when king fouled ronaldo...

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
am i the only one who thinks it was a penalty?:confused:

More I saw it...more I think Gomes did get a tiny nick on the ball after Carrick touched it to the side. Having said that...Gomes' body did kinda knock Carrick off stride...

And being at OT...when the chips were down....crowd roaring for it...Webb was overcome IMO.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
More I saw it...more I think Gomes did get a tiny nick on the ball after Carrick touched it to the side. Having said that...Gomes' body did kinda knock Carrick off stride...

And being at OT...when the chips were down....crowd roaring for it...Webb was overcome IMO.
i dunno ive seen it a couple of times and i think that Gomes gets a pice of the ball after the contact was made but i seem to be the only one to think this and had to listen to "thats ye getting the ref behind ye at Old Trafford again" from my spud fan mate :rolleyes: TBF to him though he said at half time a 2-0 lead wasn't enough and he was proved right :p

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
To be fair it wasn't a penalty yesterday, I think most of us agree on that.
It was a major turning point in the game, but even after we scored 4 more legitamate goals the commentars, pundits and media all still went back to that one decision.
At the end of the day, we were the better team yesterday against Spurs and we deserved to win the game, no doubt about it.
Going back to your point on Liverpool, your right it wasn't a free-kick in the first place either but Alonso did make the most of the 2nd attempt he had.
The media are always gonna highlight United because we are the most successsful club in the league and there's always gonna be "the big clubs get the big decisions."
In the end of it all who cares what the media thinks, let them write whatever they want.
We'll keep on winning trophies.:)

It wasn't a penalty ONLY after they showed the replay.

Whgen it happened, it looked a stonewall 100% penalty.

I recorded the highlights and have seen it maybe 10 times now.
When it happened, there is NO WAY Howard Webb could have seen that Hilarious Gomes touched the ball.

The travesty for me, is that when it happens in favour of our rivals, it only a "debatable" decision.

When it happens in favour of United, all hell breaks lose and Mother Theresa, as well as Budha are influencing the officials from the after life....

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It wasn't a penalty ONLY after they showed the replay.

Whgen it happened, it looked a stonewall 100% penalty.

I recorded the highlights and have seen it maybe 10 times now.
When it happened, there is NO WAY Howard Webb could have seen that Hilarious Gomes touched the ball.

The travesty for me, is that when it happens in favour of our rivals, it only a "debatable" decision.

When it happens in favour of United, all hell breaks lose and Mother Theresa, as well as Budha are influencing the officials from the after life....
I'll be honest with ya, I stood up and roared for a penalty when it happened in normal time but i knew it wasn't a penalty. I was convinced Gomes touched the ball and when the ball went the direction it did, so I knew before the replays came up that it wasn't a penalty. I feel Howard Webb made the decision too early and should have talked it over with his fellow officials.
If you watch Gomes reaction, he knew it wasn't a penalty, sometimes it's the players reaction that tells the story. Remember when Ronaldo was booked for "diving" in the Carling Cup Final and you seen his reaction, he knew it was a penalty that time.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'll be honest with ya, I stood up and roared for a penalty when it happened in normal time but i knew it wasn't a penalty. I was convinced Gomes touched the ball and when the ball went the direction it did, so I knew before the replays came up that it wasn't a penalty. I feel Howard Webb made the decision too early and should have talked it over with his fellow officials.
If you watch Gomes reaction, he knew it wasn't a penalty, sometimes it's the players reaction that tells the story. Remember when Ronaldo was booked for "diving" in the Carling Cup Final and you seen his reaction, he knew it was a penalty that time.
You must have bionic eyes, because Carrick's feet were in the way.

I'm assuming you're saying that gomes' hand was heading that way and when the ball moved the way it did you ASSUMED it was gomes, but Carrick did get to the ball first and from in real time looked like he go to the ball first, which he did.

I'll say it again, if not for the reverse camera angle, nobody oculd be sure if Goes touched it or not.
You say the ball moved that way, but Carrick got to the ball first and it could have been his touch.

What about Mascherano falling over and earning a fewe kick for the dippers against Hull. That was even easier to catch and the ref bottled it. and it happend in from on if the ref.

Nah.... I'm convinced Howard Webb couldn't have seen Gomes touch the ball from his angle and the ball's movement COULD have been a result of Carrick's touch.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You must have bionic eyes, because Carrick's feet were in the way.

I'm assuming you're saying that gomes' hand was heading that way and when the ball moved the way it did you ASSUMED it was gomes, but Carrick did get to the ball first and from in real time looked like he go to the ball first, which he did.

I'll say it again, if not for the reverse camera angle, nobody oculd be sure if Goes touched it or not.
You say the ball moved that way, but Carrick got to the ball first and it could have been his touch.

What about Mascherano falling over and earning a fewe kick for the dippers against Hull. That was even easier to catch and the ref bottled it. and it happend in from on if the ref.

Nah.... I'm convinced Howard Webb couldn't have seen Gomes touch the ball from his angle and the ball's movement COULD have been a result of Carrick's touch.
Yeah I assumed it was Gomes that moved the ball in that direction, not Carricks touch.
I agree Carrick did touch the ball first and you could see that in normal time but if I was betting in that moment I would have put all my money on Gomes touching the ball and moving it in that direction. That's just my opinion of the incident and i'm sure everyone has their own thoughts on how it looked in normal time.
That reverse camera angle did show Gomes touch the ball and your right if not for that, then nobody would have been 100% sure about the incident.
I watched the Liverpool game. I've already said that Mascherano shouldn't have got a free-kick that
time and the Ref completely bottled it.
Howard Webb crumbled under the pressure of 60,00+ United Fans and the 11 players roaring for a penalty at Old Trafford when they were trailing 2-0. Something most other Refs would have done IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts