Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our troops tired, way out of form, and making basic errors left right and center, things have been looking very worrying in the league. Liverpool have been in the form of the season and confidence has been through the roof. Its been looking more and more likely they could catch us and take the title that would be the most painful to lose.

Tonight though, things have got a little different. Confidence? What confidence? They just got battered 3-1 at Anfield and it could have been worse. They are staring exit from the European cup, and belief in their own ability would have taken a serious blow.

Now I'm not saying this will kill off their season all together, far from it, but maybe it will just deal enough of a blow to allow us to hold them off in this most excruciating of title run ins.

Positivity, welcome back! :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Why was/is everyone worried about the Pool. We will win the league and now they wont win the CL. Happy days. Chelsea>Pool both in Europe and will finish higher than them in the league. We will get over our blip. Even if we dont get through in the CL, we still have the domestic treble to go for, which would be an amazing season.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Why was/is everyone worried about the Pool. We will win the league and now they wont win the CL. Happy days. Chelsea>Pool both in Europe and will finish higher than them in the league. We will get over our blip. Even if we dont get through in the CL, we still have the domestic treble to go for, which would be an amazing season.
Still, you don't see them as a threat?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Still, you don't see them as a threat?
I do see them as a 'threat' but as Ive always said, Im more worried about Chelsea in both the league and CL. You were right that Pool would be close to us, and they have been, albeit surprisingly in recent weeks. I just dont think they are as good as us or Chelsea and they have definitely punched above their weight this season.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It could be a good thing for us or a bad thing, there's two ways of looking at it:

Liverpool will now be short of confidence after a home thrashing against one of their main rivals and will go on a poor run of games under-performing, remind you of anyone:p

Liverpool could now fully concentrate on winning the League and may give up on all hope in the return leg at Stamford Bridge.. They will only remain in one competition where the will completely focus on winning their remaining games, while their other rivals will compete in CL and the FA Cup..

I'm guessing that this result tonight really hurt Liverpool and they will be very low on confidence after being completely out-played at home.. They will go on a poor run in the League and will drop numerous points from now til the end of the season finishing in 3rd place:D:D

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
It could be a good thing for us or a bad thing, there's two ways of looking at it:

Liverpool will now be short of confidence after a home thrashing against one of their main rivals and will go on a poor run of games under-performing, remind you of anyone:p

Liverpool could now fully concentrate on winning the League and may give up on all hope in the return leg at Stamford Bridge.. They will only remain in one competition where the will completely focus on winning their remaining games, while their other rivals will compete in CL and the FA Cup..

I'm guessing that this result tonight really hurt Liverpool and they will be very low on confidence after being completely out-played at home.. They will go on a poor run in the League and will drop numerous points from now til the end of the season finishing in 3rd place:D:D
spot on :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The loss of Mascherano hurt them tonight. There was a severe lack of support from Lucas and Alonso for the defence. Guus is a master tactician, he had Gerrard covered for the most part tonight. Plus Drogba, Kalou, Lampard and even Malouda were constant threats. The way to beat them is to negate Gerrard and go at them.

To answer your Q Richie, we will see on saturday how much this will help us. Their confidence will have taken a hit for sure, losing at home like that is hard for any top team. The way they respond will be key.

We have a day extra rest on them, plus they play early saturday. The fact its against Blackburn may seem like an 'easy' game but who knows.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
This is where Fergie mind games come into play.

It was very clever for him to say the winner of the CL match is the bigger threat in the league.

After Liverpool get knocked out it'll be interesting to see how Liverpool play.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I was right to change my Mood to worried then! First half could have gone either way but they looked more dangerous. Second half it was mostly them.
Lucas didn't have it easy as expected, and although some quality passes from Alonso he gave it away as well, also wasting opportunities. Even good passes were wasted e.g the long pass to Dossena that he let go over the line.
Don't talk to me about the corners, that's something they'll have to work on.
We defended them poorly and took them poorly.
A well deserved win by Chelsea, was amazed with the performance in the 2nd half.
There were times it looked like it was going to be our night when they made mistakes with mostly Torres there to steal the ball. After Dossena almost headed that Malouda(?) cross past Reina I was just glad it wasn't worse than 3goals. Good reactions by Pepe to keep that one out!
So we now have to go to the Bridge and score three. Not if they play like that again, not on your nelly.
Barca v Chelsea semi the way both those teams are playing now will be some match.
Our weaknesses tonight were highlighted and can only hope they will be addressed in the summer.
It was good to see a full house cheering off the team at the end though, we know there's another leg to play and we can't lie down just because it looks bad. The players need to know we're behind them whatever happens and we showed that tonight.
Not trying to play it down at all, but for us the Champions League this season is a luxury because of our league position. Usually its this other way round this time of year.
Blackburn next, back to work.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
No i don't think they have done us any favour, if Liverpool don't make it to the next stage of the Champions League then they will just be fully focused on the Premier Leage title, but i'm hoping that it will ruin there chances and they go on a 'slump' like we did.

Z

·
0 Posts
I was right to change my Mood to worried then! First half could have gone either way but they looked more dangerous. Second half it was mostly them.
Lucas didn't have it easy as expected, and although some quality passes from Alonso he gave it away as well, also wasting opportunities. Even good passes were wasted e.g the long pass to Dossena that he let go over the line.
Don't talk to me about the corners, that's something they'll have to work on.
We defended them poorly and took them poorly.
A well deserved win by Chelsea, was amazed with the performance in the 2nd half.
There were times it looked like it was going to be our night when they made mistakes with mostly Torres there to steal the ball. After Dossena almost headed that Malouda(?) cross past Reina I was just glad it wasn't worse than 3goals. Good reactions by Pepe to keep that one out!
So we now have to go to the Bridge and score three. Not if they play like that again, not on your nelly.
Barca v Chelsea semi the way both those teams are playing now will be some match.
Our weaknesses tonight were highlighted and can only hope they will be addressed in the summer.
It was good to see a full house cheering off the team at the end though, we know there's another leg to play and we can't lie down just because it looks bad. The players need to know we're behind them whatever happens and we showed that tonight.
Not trying to play it down at all, but for us the Champions League this season is a luxury because of our league position. Usually its this other way round this time of year.
Blackburn next, back to work.
Nice honest assessment there JM. Thanks for posting it. I really can't see you beating the by three clear goals at Stamford Bridge so I think you're out of it for another year.

Gerrard was pretty anonymous tonight, I was shocked with how poor he was.

Nothing about Lucas tells me that he'll ever develop into an actual footballer. His pass completion rate was quite high on the Sky Sports stats, but that's because he refuses to pass forwards. He always takes the easy pass as opposed to trying to create an opening, meaning all of his passes go sideways or backwards.

I thought Torres was poor too(apart from scoring obviously), but to be fair to him he didn't get much service tonight.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Gerrard was pretty anonymous tonight, I was shocked with how poor he was.

I thought Torres was poor too(apart from scoring obviously), but to be fair to him he didn't get much service tonight.
That was all down to Essien.
and Torres got no service cos Gerrard was taken out of the game.
It was a great Chelsea performance. Best they have played in ages.

I hope JM goes to the matchday thread to continue the discussion.
and yes, I agree about Lucas. He is muck.

Z

·
0 Posts

True. He's a massive boost for them in the run in and I can see them being a serious threat in the league.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Maybe liverpool will crumple now. I hope so. Gerrard pathetic game will no doubt crush the camp a little bit.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
we'll see on saturday. Blackburn have to profit from a wasteful shiverpool. realy hope they draw at least, cause i don't think they're gonna loose this one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This is where Fergie mind games come into play.

It was very clever for him to say the winner of the CL match is the bigger threat in the league.

After Liverpool get knocked out it'll be interesting to see how Liverpool play.
To be honest I'm more interested in seeing Fergie use some mind games on our players right now. I think he should figure out how to instill some confidence in our players before he makes statements about other clubs. Get things right in the dressing room first fergie!!!! At the moment our team look mentally shot to pieces and until he sorts that lot out anything he says elsewhere just looks hollow to me. I wish he would stay quiet and find a way to get our team to kick some *** for a change. You can't play mind games when your own team looks so nervous and fragile.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It will help, definitely it will. Who said that a 2-2 result at home is bad? **** me, 3-1 is even worse :eek: Our confidence should increase by this, this gives us a sign that yes, Liverpool are still prone to a day off, and they won`t win every tie they`ve got left. What is most concerning is the fact that we need to convert that confidence into good performances on the pitch. Its the most important yet the most difficult thing we are facing right now. I don`t know if we can be in any other better position, okay we should`ve had beaten Porto and the lead between us and Liverpoo should have been bigger too .. But then again, things could be worse. Just because Livepoo are enjoying some happy times lately, they still give everything to be in our position. I dare to say that i would not have wanted my team in a better situation regarding the PL`s table position and CL`s aggregate due to the fact that this is keeping our feet on the ground and play each game as it is vital for our chances in each competition. This does not include the performances, we SHOULD play better as there`s quality for it, and if this confidence we are rebuilding does not show on the pitch .. Then we`re gonna have to make up for it in May.

·
Banned
151 Posts

Agree with this. Essien did a number on Gerrard, kept him quiet, so less service for Torres from him.
Hiddink won the battle with Rafa.
Rafa should have changed things earlier when he noticed Gerrard was being marked out of it.
Lucas put in a good effort but the concensus with most the fans is that he's just average. On his most inspired day you might get a 7/10 from him otherwise its always 5 or 6.
Alonso was voted LFC MOTM, but he too could have done better and I put that down to Mascherano not being there. He will be for the next leg. And Terry wont.
So we'll be slightly stronger and they'll be slightly weaker, that and the fact we have nothing to lose now are our positives. We know we can go there and win, but 3 goals will need Istanbul inspiration.
We've done it before so have enough confidence to go there with the belief, and that's the main thing.
To answer the thread question, if we do go out then of course, we will be able to concentrate 100% on the league which is the most important. Although it doesn't make that much of a difference because if we get past Chelsea it only means an extra two games to play. The favour could go either way depending on our response in the league.
This defeat will now be put to the side, as soon as they were off the pitch they were talking about Blackburn, that is the most important game for us.
We'll just have to wait until Saturday to see how they respond.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No i don't think they have done us any favour, if Liverpool don't make it to the next stage of the Champions League then they will just be fully focused on the Premier Leage title, but i'm hoping that it will ruin there chances and they go on a 'slump' like we did.
Fully agree with your point,
The only positive is that their confidence will be down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel that Chelsea's confidence will be sky high now and Liverpool's will be very lot. Hopefully Liverpool will slip up Saturday and we can get further ahead :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts