Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
manutdpies.com :eek: It's been nearly three years since Malcolm Glazer bought a
controlling stake of United amidst widespread opposition with fears of
bankruptcy, rising ticket prices and even the formation of a separate club.

Since then, overseas investment in the Premier League has become commonplace
with eight clubs now operating under foreign ownership - but not all US
takeovers have gone according to plan.

We're talking of course about the ongoing battle at Liverpool between its two
American co-owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks. By looking at what could have
happened, dcould it be that the Glazers might not be so bad after all?

Liverpool's owners have barely been in control for a year and already there are
strong suggestions that the club will be sold on for a profit to Dubai's DIC -
leaving the businessmen richer but without any progression or trophies to show
for the supporters.

The mutiny between the two partners, who this week are wrangling over the
worth of chief executive Rick Parry, has stretched from the board room to the
boot room and their relationship with Rafa Benitez has become repeatedly
strained by public disputes, restriction of funds and clandestine meetings with
German coaches.

Despite what the players claim, this must have had an effect on performances
and it's no coincidence that Liverpool's worst run of the season came when
Benitez was least sure of his job - and it still looks like only another Champions
League title will save him.

Meanwhile, very few people at United will have even seen Malcolm Glazer. He has
handed over directorial responsibilities to his two sons, the so-called 'Double
Glazers', but they also have taken a low profile approach leaving David Gill and
Sir Alex Ferguson to remain as the club's public faces.

Agreeably, ticket prices have increased and the compulsory cup tickets scheme
hasn't been well received but, while international business ventures grow
returning our title as the world's richest club, at least there hasn't been any
restrictions on the manager's buying.

Since then we have reclaimed the Premier League, spent a fortune on new young
talent, kept the world's best player and evolved into possibly the best team in
Europe - and all with less board room disputes than we remember during Martin
Edwards' days.

There is still the debt to finance but as long as the team is successful then the
bills will be paid while we concentrate on winning trophies.

If you look at our situation compared to Liverpool's - is it time to accept the
Glazers at Old Trafford ?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Well Carly it is a tough one...

Not much has changed at face value at our club. Which is a good thing. We have remained successful. However if we have a disaster season and don't make UCL out of some freak. Say we finished 3rd next season and got drawn against AC Milan (by looking at Milans league place suggests they'll have to qualify for the UCL - this is just an example of potential problems) in the 3rd round of qualification and went out. Imagine what that would do to the club. We may end up in very deep water.

Compared to Liverpool our takeover is though beginning to look better. I don't think Liverpool are really in trouble though. They have good players and at least one interested owener. I think its Hicks who is the problem (correct me if i'm wrong). If they were both acting like idiots then Liverpool would be in big trouble.

I think the "crisis" at Liverpool is not a crisis though and the papers just like to have a laugh at them and try and write anything they can to make the situation look worse. I'll be extremely shocked if Rafa goes in summer. I'm sure Liverpool will make decent signings and be stable for the meanwhile.

So in all i don't think either situation is that bad.

One thing that pisses me off though about our club is that the shirts are changing again. Thats a bad move by the ownership...

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
oh carly you love galzer Marry him
i hate glazer
he dont know the word free cheap or even Sale!!!
sir bobby watch matches for free just because he is the club greatest legend
and when giggsy beat up his record (record of highest # of matches) i dont think that bobby gona watch a match for free

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
abojodeh said:
sir bobby watch matches for free just because he is the club greatest legend
and when giggsy beat up his record (record of highest # of matches) i dont think that bobby gona watch a match for free
That'd be a disgrace. It wont happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Compared to Liverpool,Unitd's reign under American ownership is going extremely well dispite the huge debts.We are again looking like the one major force in english football and i doubt we would have been able to buy all 4 summer signings without Glazers money.But i think there is still a huge disliking of Glazer (rightfully so in my opinion)that will never go away.If given the chance today i'd still get rid of him even if it mean't being less successful for awhile.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RichardsReds said:
If it ever happens you can have all my vcash, it wont happen.
realy yeah:D
i wish if this was real

Microsoft chief Bill Gates today released the shattering news that he intends to buy Manchester United PLC. The giant of the computer software world intends to pay a whopping £1 billion to own the club, lock, stock and barrel.
Shirt sponsor Vodafone will be replaced. The famous red home shirts will now carry the name "Microsoft" whilst all away kits will bear the name "X-Box".

At a news conference in Manchester, the Microsoft billionaire chief enthused: "Just as the X-Box is the future of video gaming, Manchester United is the future of World soccering. I believe we have a lot to offer each other in terms of synergy and cross-promotion. Everyone in England just loves Man United and they'll love the X Box as well with its range of amazing games".

"With its breakthrough technology and incredible graphics capabilities, Xbox will set the standard in gaming for years to come, just like the Man U have done in the 90's." Mr Gates continued.
Microsoft claims the X-Box can deliver three times the graphics performance of its rivals. Holding the console in his hands, Gates stated: "Rendering up to 12 million polygons per second on the screen, it enables game designers to create a whole new world of game-playing experiences that will captivate the imagination and competitive spirit of gamers like no other console."
Gates was enthusiastic about the co-operation. "As famous Manchester players like Bobby Charlton, Jim Best and Eric Can-tana have set the standards, so has Microsoft with its new XP software and X-Box system. Just like Manchester has overcome the Liverpool and London soccer franchises, Microsoft has overcome opponents like Apple and the OS Operating system. Not only that, in the future with new online enterprises we're ready to take on the challenges set by Linux and Sony".

When questioned about wether he would change the name of the club to "Microsoft United" Gates laughed. "No, no, no....the name is a vitally important part of global branding, marketing as well as the sporting legend of England and Soccer in general. Under this deal the team only has to spend 4 months touring America per year, so those at the legendary Trafford stadium will still see their stars most of the time."

The smiling Microsoft chief then shook hands with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. "Sir Alex and I are very alike" beamed Gates, "In 1980 I created DOS, a standard disk operating system but I still was'nt happy, I wanted to improve it with the GUI friendly Windows software - likewise Sir Alex is always looking to improve his team with new players".

Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon said: "It's yet another example of Manchester United, whether it be on the field or off the field, breaking new ground,"

Kenyon added "Microsoft are an icon of America" Kenyon said. "Their executive staff know the North American markets better than anyone. Soccer has developed dramatically in the U.S. over the last 10 years and we believe there is a market for Manchester United content among football fans of all ages. This new deal will give us the money to buy Zidane and Rivaldo, I hope."

Bill Gates then continued to outline his vision: "We see Europe as the centre of this business, gamers in Europe will love the X-box and its top quality content. Now with the Man U's backing we are on to a winner."

There then followed a 20 minute film demonstrating the new X-box's gaming and online abilities. Added the computer billionaire, "I'm talking about an extended PC - a PC that talks to the TV set-top box, talks to the music player devices, co-ordinates with other PCs, its the future of technology in the 21st Century"

Manchester United's stock price increased 13 percent to £1.65 during mid-day trading on the London Stock Exchange before closing at £1.62, an increase of 15.4 percent. "Everybody loves the Man United and everybody loves Microsoft, its a win-win situation" concluded Gates.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that a club should belong to its supporters and if not at least be owned/run by someone who themselves is a fan of the club.

I dont think Liverpools internal problems have affected them on the pitch that much. Infact if you took those away they'd probably still be in a similar position anyway. you just have to look at the fact that only Torres & Gerrard would get in the teams of Man Utd or Chelsea if both players happened to be at either club. The others wouldnt get a lookin. Though i still think Hicks is a f*cking idiot who should take a leaf out the Glazers & Randy Lerners books and just leave his Ceo & Manager to get on with their jobs respectivly.

As regarding The Glazers I actually thought it was them who are actually in debt not the club. So if they certainly went into finacial ruin they'd would actually lose all of their assets not just Man Utd. As long as we're making a steady turnover every year we will never actually be in debt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes i think that the shambles at looserpool has shown how good the glazers business brain is. they haven't got that much cash but they create great revenue and let fergie do the rest

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
manchester united premier league champs
united sign 4 world class players
united on the verge of a historic double
liverpool in a right old mess ' priceless'

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Accept the Glazers at Old Trafford?

Compared to the goings on at dirty Liverpool? Why should we. What's it got to do with them.

Love United, Hate Glazer. It's got nothing to do with Liverpool.

Someone's "less-off", so we just accept things?

·
Banned
96 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
manutdpies.com :eek: It's been nearly three years since Malcolm Glazer bought a
controlling stake of United amidst widespread opposition with fears of
bankruptcy, rising ticket prices and even the formation of a separate club.

Since then, overseas investment in the Premier League has become commonplace
with eight clubs now operating under foreign ownership - but not all US
takeovers have gone according to plan.

We're talking of course about the ongoing battle at Liverpool between its two
American co-owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks. By looking at what could have
happened, dcould it be that the Glazers might not be so bad after all?

Liverpool's owners have barely been in control for a year and already there are
strong suggestions that the club will be sold on for a profit to Dubai's DIC -
leaving the businessmen richer but without any progression or trophies to show
for the supporters.

The mutiny between the two partners, who this week are wrangling over the
worth of chief executive Rick Parry, has stretched from the board room to the
boot room and their relationship with Rafa Benitez has become repeatedly
strained by public disputes, restriction of funds and clandestine meetings with
German coaches.

Despite what the players claim, this must have had an effect on performances
and it's no coincidence that Liverpool's worst run of the season came when
Benitez was least sure of his job - and it still looks like only another Champions
League title will save him.

Meanwhile, very few people at United will have even seen Malcolm Glazer. He has
handed over directorial responsibilities to his two sons, the so-called 'Double
Glazers', but they also have taken a low profile approach leaving David Gill and
Sir Alex Ferguson to remain as the club's public faces.

Agreeably, ticket prices have increased and the compulsory cup tickets scheme
hasn't been well received but, while international business ventures grow
returning our title as the world's richest club, at least there hasn't been any
restrictions on the manager's buying.

Since then we have reclaimed the Premier League, spent a fortune on new young
talent, kept the world's best player and evolved into possibly the best team in
Europe - and all with less board room disputes than we remember during Martin
Edwards' days.

There is still the debt to finance but as long as the team is successful then the
bills will be paid while we concentrate on winning trophies.

If you look at our situation compared to Liverpool's - is it time to accept the
Glazers at Old Trafford ?

after reading that i cant help but feel you talk crap !

the glazers whether it be malcom or the brothers are lyers

they have lied to the fans, they have drove away a large amount of LOYAL fans

they have been replaced by idiot glory supporting freaks

the club continue to ruin the fans and treat them like crap !

personally i dont belive who you are and consider this a wind up if it isnt then your a disgrace

because the glazers have ruined our club we are probs worse than liverpool

1 - 20 of 151 Posts