Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both teams are excellent and we could argue both squad are the best in the world . But if you to put our squad against chelsea's and mark them out of ten would we have a stronger squad . We all know its not just about your squad but also team morale and also fitness and this im certain we are better than them . But on paper is our squad better than chelsea's ?

·
Banned
292 Posts
As a mad united fan I would have to honestly say no. I think they have more options than we do in the striker department, they have Drogba Anelka Shevchenko and Pizarro. Tevez and Rooney are more like attacking midfielders and Ronaldo has been cutting in from the wing to score his goals. I think next season with Manucho coming in and hopefully a big name striker like Berbatov, our squads will be equal. However I still think Man Utd will win the CL, it is destiny this year.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes because if you think about it most matches we have to leave out players like O'Shea/Fletcher who would be good enough to make the majority of premiership firrst team's. Chelsea only have about 16 decent players imo also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Banana-rama said:
As a mad united fan I would have to honestly say no. I think they have more options than we do in the striker department, they have Drogba Anelka Shevchenko and Pizarro. Tevez and Rooney are more like attacking midfielders and Ronaldo has been cutting in from the wing to score his goals. I think next season with Manucho coming in and hopefully a big name striker like Berbatov, our squads will be equal. However I still think Man Utd will win the CL, it is destiny this year.
I agree with this fully. Chelsea edge us when it comes to strikers. I really hope the CL final isnt like last years FA Cup Final.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
They have 2 great strikers (Drogba and Anelka), where as we have 2 great behind-the-striker men (Tevez and Rooney)

But other than that we have a better squad than them.

But, being picky, they are physically stronger :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
We are so much greater in the area that matters the most. DESIRE!!
regardless how much that abram. geek spends ,this team is always going to play
better than them in all areas. Who on chelski has more passion than wazza, none!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
They have the better squad in terms of squad depth. We have two attacking central midfielders. Scholes who is getting close to retirement and Anderson who is still very young. Other than that we have no attacking presence in the center of the park and that does bother me somewhat. Scholes is awesome but he'll leave some day and I worry what we'll do. Obviously we can't just have Anderson as our sole attacking center mid. Plus I also get worried whenever United get linked with another defensive midfielder like Veloso or people talk about Possebon getting promoted to the first team. I'm truly over defensive mids and I feel there are way too many in world football today. I just want an explosion of attacking center mids.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Goalkeeper- In the goalkeeping department, they have Cech who is one of the best keeper in the world. Chelsea outshines us in that department.

Defence- I rate Rio and Vidic partnership as the best in the world. This partnership has both pace and power compared to Chelsea's Terry/Carvahlo partnership that lacks pace. In the fullbacks department, Evra edges Cole and RB is a problem area for both sides. United wins in the defence department.

Midfield- Chelsea's midfield is one of the best in the world. With players like Essien, Ballack, Lampard, Mikel etc their midfield physically dominate their opposition and grind out results for the team. Whereas our midfield depends on its technique, vision and passing ability to create chance and has a more artistic approach to the game. A full 10/10 on style for us! In terms of efficacy both midfields are similar.

Attack- Unlike most people, i believe that our striker are as good as Chelsea's if not better. They have Drogba and Anelka and we have Rooney and Tevez, which by no means are inferior to the Chelsea strikers. The only reason their attack department looks stronger than us is because of their formation. They need only one striker up front. Drogba normally plays upfront which leaves them a world class striker like Anelka on the bench. Whereas we have to use both of our strikers and when we look at our bench, we have nobody(Saha spends more time on the physio's bench than the substitutes bench). Player for player our attack is as good as their's(lets leave the likes of Shevchenko's, pizzaro's and Saha's).

Overall- Both the teams have similar midfield and attack. While Chelsea has a better keeper, we have a better defence. Our defence has been the backbone of our team all season and i expect it to be the difference between the two teams in Moscow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
We have almost an equal squad in terms of qualities... We lose out in terms of experience... Theirs are all in their peak but ous have not reach... We have to go all out to get a remarkable result in CL final... Against Wigan, a win ends all talks.

Manchester United
Champion 2007/2008

·
23,699 Posts
I think Chelski is mentally tougher than us as evidenced by the way they crawl back from an early slump after the sudden departure of Mourinho and the way they keep chalking up results game after game, by luck or by grit, to actually draw level with us to arrive at this unprecedented 2-trophy situation. Hate it, but in all fairness, I have to give credit to them for that. I seriously doubt we will be able to do that if Fergie had left just as abruptly.

However, I always believe we have the best squad and quality in England as a total sum of parts, except perhaps for the slight imbalance in the striking department due to the perpetual injury of Sa(r)a and that our only two strikers are neither the abstute finisher or target man but similar link-up men only. If not for the extraordinary expliots of Ronaldo as a winger this season, we would not be where we are now and still having a shout at the title, given the relentless pursuit and scary consistency of Chelski.

So what does this translate to then? Well, 'moaners' will know - take advantage of the better quality we actually possess, play to our strength and unleash our firepower to overcome and take the game to our opponents. Nobody has scored more goals than us so I don't see why we are so shy to 'play it safe' and let the play remains in our half and the ball flies from everywhere into our box until 'accidents' happen. Not that we struggle to score and so need to sneak in a goal or two from some dead ball situations or from counter attacks.

We will never have to be in this 2-final situation if we have been more positive with our quality and to better employ the firepower we have.

Sorry, boring repeated stuff but everything is linked. And the truth is glaring and the truth hurts.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
fazman said:
Both teams are excellent and we could argue both squad are the best in the world . But if you to put our squad against chelsea's and mark them out of ten would we have a stronger squad . We all know its not just about your squad but also team morale and also fitness and this im certain we are better than them . But on paper is our squad better than chelsea's ?
Another good question fazman.

I was thinking about this recently actually.

Chelsea have been hit by some serious injury problems this season. They've had Cech, Terry, Ballack, Lampard and Drogba all out through injuries. They lost the likes of Essien and Drogba to the ACON and yet here they are at the end of the season level on points with us.

I can't help but be impressed by that and if I'm being totally honest I think that Chelsea would have won the league if they hadn't had these problems during the season.

Of course we've had our problems too - Foster, Neville, Silvestre, Park, Saha and Scholes all had long-term injuries. We've missed Rooney at times through injury too.

If you look at the players Chelsea had missing compared to ours I think they've had more key players missing than we have. With the money they have spent over the last few years you'd expect them to have a stronger squad.

But the important question come 21st May will be...who has the strongest first choice XI?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
we have a better team in terms of defense but i think midfield wise chelsea and united are equally strong...they have j.cole,essien,lampard,ballack...we have hargo,scholes,carrick,ronaldo,anderson to an extent.....but they have better strikers than us...like mu004 said..we have 2 good behind the striker men and they have good strikers........
so both of us are quite equal IMO........

·
Registered
24 Posts
belive we do have the better squad.
at the end of the day, when the both teams finish the season equal points 1 game left- probebly equal power for both sides.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
what you have to think is would our squad players make their squad, the answer is no .
we have fletch and o shea and their players are stronger and physically better , and are older with more experience.
but it doesnt make them a better team

1 - 19 of 19 Posts