Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two more goals - including another physics-defying free-kick - put Cristiano
Ronaldo in the record books last night when he broke George Best's tally of 32 in
a season from a winger.

With a decent run of games left to play there's every chance Ronny can get up to
40 - which would make an already incredible achievement border on the
astonishing.

There's a lot of reflection in the papers today about Ronny's contribution to the
game and where he stands in the pantheon of football greats - so I thought it
was time to assess your views.

There are two issues - is Ronaldo a better player than George Best and is
Ronaldo the finest player ever to play in the Premier League?

Controversial suggestions, I know. But it wouldn't be a debate otherwise.

For the record I think that considering his young age Ronaldo will certainly
become recognised as a better player than Best, if not now then over the next
couple of seasons.

As for the Premier League, I still find it hard to be persuaded that Ronaldo is a
better player than Eric Cantona - mainly because of Cantona's all-round
contribution to the game and the effect he had on the club when he arrived.

Again though, if Ronaldo continues to improve I doubt even that comparison will
stand.

Better than Best, best ever in the Premier League?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ronaldo for me. Maybe because I have watched him more and maybe only because Best ruined his career. If Best continued to play longer than he would be a bigger legend then he is now imo.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I don't think we can make much of a comment as Best and Ronaldo played in different era. In the past I think the premier league are much more competitive as compared to now. And I guess this season is all going well for Ronaldo, but he's still too new to be reckon with George Best and Eric Cantona. Maybe time will tell if he's consistence to be better then them.

My verdict: Too fast to judge...

·
Registered
3 Posts
We need to see Ronaldo for a couple of more years before we can tell him wheter he's better than George and Eric. But we can't deny that Ronaldo accomplishment has already made him a legend for United at such a young age. If he can win a couple of more trophies, like the ECL, then there's no doubt he is the best player of his generation, or ever for that matter. And also wheter or not he'll ruined his legacy by joining Chelsea or something like that somewhere in his career :(

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
ronaldo isnt the best in the EPL...yet........
he is one of the best now but not the best there ever was.....as carly said...cantona is better,henry was better etc etc.....
better than best???
maybe...maybe not....depending on how how consistent ronnie is...and ronnie has to improve his game against the bigger teams too...then.....he will be better than best

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
As things stand at the moment when you take everything into account...
I think Best is better. If that sentence is grammatically correct.:confused:
Give it a few years and we'll do this again.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
akash_reds said:
ronaldo isnt the best in the EPL...yet........
he is one of the best now but not the best there ever was.....as carly said...cantona is better,henry was better etc etc.....
better than best???
maybe...maybe not....depending on how how consistent ronnie is...and ronnie has to improve his game against the bigger teams too...then.....he will be better than best
so who is better in the epl then ?
george did it over several seasons ronnie so far just the one . george was great from the off ronnie has taken 3 seasons to learn to pass and cross properly .
george did it on the biggest stage and earned the admiration of the whole footballing world .

if ronaldo continues in his current vain for another 4 or 5 years then and only then can he claim to be as good

·
Banned
198 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Two more goals - including another physics-defying free-kick - put Cristiano
Ronaldo in the record books last night when he broke George Best's tally of 32 in
a season from a winger.

I was there in the Stretford end to witness it!! My first ever match at OT, i get there in a Fresh 56plate CLS Mercedes Benz. Get semi drunk, have large chips from loui macaris chip shop [great chips btw], get more drunk
get to the stadium in the stretford end to witness a truly great performance. My first ever football match as a spectator.. Not a bad choice was it? lol.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
best at his peak was untouchable in all honesty,he did mess up his carear we all know that but when he shone he lit up the football world.
ronaldo has been outstanding for 2 seasons now and is easily the worlds best
player at present,his scoring record this season is amazing.
ronaldo is much bigger and more powerful than george was,but george was the master of trickery,but perhaps what the younger reds should realize is best scored more goals in a game {6} than the outstanding ronaldo can in a month,if ronaldo equals that i will even call him the greatest.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
sweet fa said:
best at his peak was untouchable in all honesty,he did mess up his carear we all know that but when he shone he lit up the football world.
ronaldo has been outstanding for 2 seasons now and is easily the worlds best
player at present,his scoring record this season is amazing.
ronaldo is much bigger and more powerful than george was,but george was the master of trickery,but perhaps what the younger reds should realize is best scored more goals in a game {6} than the outstanding ronaldo can in a month,if ronaldo equals that i will even call him the greatest.
i live in northampton and best scored 6 against town in the fa cup . town are now and always have been div 3 /4 fodder with one season in top flight so 6 goals against them was not necessarily that good an example :D :D

·
23,699 Posts
Let's hear from the horses mouth

Source: Edited from TEAMtalk

Manchester United's goalscoring sensation Cristiano Ronaldo wants to write his name in the Old Trafford history books.

The Portugal star broke George Best's record of goals for a United winger with his 32nd and 33rd of the season in Wednesday night's 2-0 victory over Bolton.

Ronaldo is in the form of his life and although he is already approaching legendary status with the club's fans, the 23-year-old believes he still has a way to go before his name can sit comfortably alongside the likes of Best, Eric Cantona and Sir Bobby Charlton.

"I am in great form and I want to keep going. I want to be part of the story of this club and if I keep going like that then why not?" he said.

Ronaldo now has scored 33 goals in all competitions this season but it was the passing of Best's mark which grabbed the headlines.

However, the Portuguese felt he was not worthy of being spoken about in similar terms to the late Northern Ireland international.

"It is fantastic for me (to break the record)," he added.

"I don't like to say I broke the record of George Best. I have had the opportunity to see a few tapes and he was a magnificent player."

The win over Bolton took United three points clear of nearest rivals Arsenal at the top of the Premier League.

But with matches still to come against the Gunners and Chelsea - who are just five points behind - and with arch-enemies Liverpool visitors to Old Trafford on Sunday, Ronaldo knows the title race is far from over.

"We don't have a big advantage and we need to think about results but we are playing fantastically and we are in good form," he told MUTV.

"We are three in front of Arsenal and five of Chelsea and we have to keep going like that but we are in a good moment."

There you have it.

And great to know that Ronaldo still has his feet firmly on the ground. For that, he will go far.:)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i totally accept your reply ,but still this feat is rarely done in proffessional football especially from wingers.its not like the game finished 20-0,i think it was 6-0 and best scored them all ,if thats correct its some achievment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ronaldo needs longer at the club to be compared to Best! It's actually unfair on Bests legacy to even compare ronny to him with the short time he's been at the club

1 - 16 of 16 Posts