Manchester United Talk banner

Which is your preferred attacking partnership?

• Berbatov + Rooney

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Berbatov + Tevez

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Rooney + Tevez

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Berbatov + Rooney + Tevez

Votes: 19 44.2%
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dimitar, Bye Bye Carlos?
Dimitar Berbatov is a sublime forward with many gifts that will, no doubt, push United forward and challenge for both the Premier League and Champions League. However, will the purchase of the Bulgarian come at a costs of losing out on the permanent purchase of an Argentinian. Carlos Tevez signed for United, on loan, in August 2007 in a transfer wrangle that would have rivaled both Ronaldo’s and Berbatov’s ordeals this summer. However, let this not be forgotten, that our number 32 is still only on loan till next season. There have been reports of a permanent record breaking transfer, however this has not yet been finalised.

Carlos Tevez is a world class forward that was a vital part of our success last term and it would be a massive loss if we did not retain his services for the next few season. We already know that he isn’t going to be United for years to come - which is acceptable, he gives his heart and soul for United and was superb against both Portsmouth and Zenit St Petersburg recently. However, after the Berbatov signing, can we merit forking out another 32 Million pounds? Remember, there will be no shortage of takers for the former South American footballer of the year - with Chelsea or our good friends Real Madrid.

The concerns that I raised last week were not against the judgement of the gaffer regarding Berbatov or the qualities of the Bulgarian forward - it was merely in support of our unique style of play and for the man who may miss out on playing time - Carlos Tevez. Of course a large squad, of quality, is needed to succeed at top level football - thats a given - but in Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov we have three of the best forwards in the league and I do not believe that the three can be accommodated in the same side.

Some fans and journos have also suggest that the Berbatov deal means that Ronaldo is going - which is a load of rubbish. Why on earth would Fergie fight tooth and nail to keep the boy at Old Trafford, to only lose him 6/12 months later - having recovered from injury? I believe that Fergie will want to line up with Ronaldo on one flank, Carrick and Scholes in the middle of the park, with Nani, Hargreaves or Park occupying the other side. Which leaves two spots up top, which means that one out the three will miss out. On the basis of form, Berbatov hasn’t played - but of course he’ll play having spent so much on the player, Rooney had a decent game against Portsmouth but has not looked as impressive as Tevez did in the two games they’ve played together.

So who should start? We ran a poll last week and you voted in your droves with the selection of all three strikers leading with 33%. Surprisingly, for me anyway, Tevez and Berbatov was second with 28%, whilst Rooney and Berbatov was in third with 22% and last was our pairing from last year in Rooney and Tevez with 16%. I am intrigued to see how all three could line up together and i’m sure at some point of the season they will but with Ronaldo coming back from injury can all of this attacking talent play together? Ronaldo can never be considered a midfielder. He is an forward, who can put both the fullback and winger (if playing a 4-4-2) on the back foot and allow United to press on even further. The best way, although much easier said than done, is to force Ronaldo back into his own half - as done by Clichy at the Emirates this season. With the attacking freedom that Ronaldo is given, is it really a possibility that all three strikers can play together?

Rooney and Tevez struck up a devastating partnership in 2007/08
A major part of this is the form of Wayne Rooney, who over the past couple of seasons has had some raised eyebrows - unfairly in my eyes. I’ve spoken before about Rooney’s work rate and movement that is so vital to the success of United over the past two seasons. When Wayne Rooney was on the pitch, with the exception of the Portsmouth FA Cup game last season, Manchester United didn’t lose a game.

I’ve heard people spout nonsense like ‘Manchester United ruined Rooney’ or ‘He’s not the player he used to be’. I literally am bamboozled by such remarks. When Rooney signed for United in 2004 he was a young international starlet who was coming into a side that was in transition - that he would then become part of. He, single handedly at times, lead the line so well in that season when Ruud VanNistelrooy was injured and played a massive role in the 4-2 win at Highbury, which ironically - considering his current climate - was overshadowed by a brace from Ronaldo. I believe Rooney is a worldclass player with sublime vision, great strength and desire to succeed. He is also capable of scoring a decent amount of goals with a vast amount of quality.

I’m both intrigued and excited as to how Fergie will line us up over the next few weeks and I have no doubt that Berbatov will be a success - but hopefully not at the cost of losing Carlos Tevez.

Berbatov is going to be a success at United but can all three line up together?
So please leave a comment as to how United will line up over the next few weeks (with or without Ronaldo) and your thoughts on Carlos Tevez - am I making an issue out of nothing? If all three line up at Anfield, will it be Rooney that adopts a left sided role? Looking forward to seeing your lineups.

---i copied this text from "the stretty rant"...but it's a very interesting point...
................so would you rather have berbatov or tevez ? .......
for me there is only one answer - TEVEZ ANYTIME ! Having striker like him in a team is a pure gold ... you can find strikers with class all over the world, but class plus his commitement - nowhere in the world ! I wish if he could stay for 10 more years and become a captain one day - although with his love for Boca Juniors it is highly unlikely !

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'd rather have Tevez but I honestly don't think it will be an issue. United have repeatedly stated that they want Tevez on a permanent deal and Gill reiterated this recently. However, signing Tevez for £32m will probably mean us not signing any other players next summer unless players are sold.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
RichardsReds said:
I'd rather sell Rooney and keep Tevez.
you might as well keep up the rooney bashing like the media richard , rooney will be back to his best before long there is no worries about that.
we will have all 4 forwards fully fit soon and i for one cannot wait , we will have some awesome power coming off the bench , its been a while since that happened 99 in fact and look what happened then
:) :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
reddwarf said:
I'd rather have Tevez but I honestly don't think it will be an issue. United have repeatedly stated that they want Tevez on a permanent deal and Gill reiterated this recently. However, signing Tevez for £32m will probably mean us not signing any other players next summer unless players are sold.
Completely agree, Tevez will be wrapped up pretty early in the summer an that possibly will be the end of the spending next year. Can't see Tevez wanting to go anywhere else unless Berba was THAT good and he'd never get a game, but i see him still in the first team plans definitely.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
RichardsReds said:
I'd rather sell Rooney and keep Tevez.
I love Tevez but in a million years I would never sell Rooney... I'm not even going to start about how good he is and how important he is for the team... Tevez is a difficult situation cos if 32 million figure is accurate, its far too much money... I cant see it... 90 million worth of attackers!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I just watched the Dimitar berbatov exclusive on MUTV and David Gill clearly states thatt the next piece of business is to wind up the Tevez transfer, so Tevez isn't going anywhere.

I can't believe I'm reading about Rooney OR Tevez possibly leaving.

They don't all have to line-up at the same time, but why would Ferguson give up the chance to have all three in his quad. Name me two other players like Rooney and Tevez in this league. There simply aren't any.

In Tevez we have uncovered a second Rooney. As if one wasn't enough, we now have to in the squad - both terrorizing defences. berba's signing is brilliant, cos it gives us a different options.

Especially when Ronaldo leaves. The winger that will replace Ronaldo will not be expected to equal his goal-scoring feats, which is why Berba is here.

His arrival does NTO signal anybody's departure.

And I can't believe anybody would want to sell Wayne Rooney. What rubbish. He inspires Manchester United on the pitch, damn it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
no! Hello Berbatov,bye Rooney....:(
Rooney is really not good now....Tevez is so good.

I think Rooney will sit on the bench or Berbatov....

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
We will defend with 6 players and attack with 4. Rooney will be moved out at right wing and Ronaldo at left while Tev will roam behind Berbatov who will be the target man upfront.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
If i remeber rightly tevez came off the bench quite alot last year, i dont understand how the berba deal has sparked fans to get upset that we have 3 world class strikers?? Be happy and be ready to watch us tear teams apart.
The defence is all but solid, midfield has plenty of talent...and the strikerforce was completed this summer.
Bring on years of JOY for us UTD fans....look at barca, they had eto'o ronaldinho messi and henry!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I highly doubt Rooney will make a spot for himself on the bench....
SAF has a soft spot for Wazza,
anyways he DOES make a difference, he may not be as flashy or direct as some of the other players but his work rate is INSANELY high and he sets that example for the other players, keeps them going with his Determintion.
Berba belongs to our team, but he still has to Earn a place in the starting 11. We still don't know exactly how they will fit together as a team.
Rooney's not going anywhere...he is loyal to united for Life...do you not remember?
Tevez also will stay,
and we'll see how Berba slots in...hopefully well.
who knows?
maybe we'll see some 4-3-3 action?
And in some cases we might have too much attacking power, then you drop Rooney to an offensive centre midfield...he tracks back to help so much anyways...

But on the other hand, sometimes having a strong offense is a KEY element to defending....
And i'll agree with what else was pointed out....
think back to '99 then try complaining
=]
Rooney will be around forever... He is the HEART of United!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was looking forward to berbatov signing if Im honest. He would have been good for the team. But I agree with sean2689 we already have some great strikers.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
i would rather Have Tevez over Berbatov

but people relax eh :rolleyes: ... Fergie have the key for everything Sir Alex would never let Tevez leave nor Rooney and Berbatov

and they key am talking about is rotation :)
now days with Slave out we can play with 3 strikers 3 midfielders and 4 defenders
and when Slave return we play 4-4-2 and Rotate Rooney Tevez Berbatov and hopefully Manucho (i say hopefully that he find success in england and no injures :))
and if we had a good mix with the rotation we will have a fit attack
(Rooney and Tevez rotate fore the same position -second striker- and both of Berba and Manucho rotate for the markman position
and the best partnership wins (Tevez-Manucho Rooney-Manucho Tevez-Berba Rooney-Berba)

and later on we will have many tactics so for an example if we want more pace speed and agility in our team we play Rooney and Tevez together and that partnership would tear up any defence
or if the oppistion defence was basically tough strong physically we choose attack our tall strikers Berba and Manucho

plenty tactics plenty choices and no one leaving :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
No! 4-3-3 its impossible for United!We havent Owen now...but we can to use 4-5-1 if Rooney and Tevez will play like always lol....really they play like midfs.And berba will play in attack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with rotation, and i forgot about Manucho! Remember when we had to have Larsson on loan because our strikers were injured??? We have enough SUPERB ones now that should no longer be a threat!!!
But like i said before 3-3-4 should def be considered as an option...
There is absolutely NO reason to worry.
Rooney will drop back and play as more of an offensive center mid anyways.
saying we will play with 3 strikers doesn't mean that 3 players will just sit and wait for the ball...if I understand the way united play like i thought i did i know that the strikers will come back and FIGHT for the ball. This isn't a lazy team. And remember...in some cases offense can be defense!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zenitka said:
No! 4-3-3 its impossible for United!We havent Owen now...but we can to use 4-5-1 if Rooney and Tevez will play like always lol....really they play like midfs.And berba will play in attack.
We never had Owen???? and nothing is impossible
=]

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
abojodeh said:
and they key am talking about is rotation :)
Thats the worst word and should be banned when you talk about football. Who do you think you are Abo? Rafa?:D

United shouldnt use a loser tactics as rotate the squad. United should play with the best possible team every game and rather to give the players a break when needed and NOT by the calendar.

Edit:And of course when the coaches feels a change of tactics is needed to get the result we want.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
DeviL_ReD1908 said:
We never had Owen???? and nothing is impossible
=]
I am about Hagro...:D

and trust me...if we want to play 4-3-3 we must to have a great player in center like Gattuso or Timoschuyk. I am sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think we would be perfectly fine.....
We shouldn't have a problem...and I agree with Spellbound:
Why not put all of our strongest players out?
and I think that the most convient way of doing that is with 3strikers

1 - 20 of 116 Posts