Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e tried a lot of computer solution forums but non of them seem to make sence....

here's my problem: i have a wireless router modem and a laptop.. every couple of months a lamp on the modem called ppp turens off and the modem doesnt seem to work anymore although it seems that the wireless network is connected and everything is normal.. but it just wouldnt connect to msn messenger or explorer or anything at all.. I really think this is a modem problem but I dont know whats the modem admin screen called (its all numbers and stuff) can someone help me pleeeeeez im dying here:(

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
cristiano04 said:
Iv'e tried a lot of computer solution forums but non of them seem to make sence....

here's my problem: i have a wireless router modem and a laptop.. every couple of months a lamp on the modem called ppp turens off and the modem doesnt seem to work anymore although it seems that the wireless network is connected and everything is normal.. but it just wouldnt connect to msn messenger or explorer or anything at all.. I really think this is a modem problem but I dont know whats the modem admin screen called (its all numbers and stuff) can someone help me pleeeeeez im dying here:(
If I was in your situation I would go to the web site
of the people who you bought the equipment off
and then I would email them with my problem.

At least you will have advice from the people who make
your stuff rather than maybe some wild guesses from people
who may or may not know what they talk about .....x

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
common Carly dont u think I tried it out?..

its deffirent here in Israel it takes the company like a week to reply and then they throw some unprofessional solutions and then they say if u want the problem fixed u should call our customer service and order a handiman to come and fix the modem at ur pllace so that u'll have to pay 25$ :(

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
cristiano04 said:

its deffirent here in Israel it takes the company like a week to reply and then they throw some unprofessional solutions and then they say if u want the problem fixed u should call our customer service and order a handiman to come and fix the modem at ur pllace so that u'll have to pay 25$ :(
Oh right - just trying to help, sorry

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
cristiano04 said:

You are Israeli. If you are we've got something in common!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You are Scottish aren't you, my cousin is Scottish, Glasgow born and Raised now a laywer in Australia for the past 4 years and married another lawyer not to long ago!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Anderson's God said:
You are Scottish aren't you, my cousin is Scottish, Glasgow born and Raised now a laywer in Australia for the past 4 years and married another lawyer not to long ago!
yeah im Scottish....not a fan of Glasgow though lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just to bring things back on topic, I do tech support by trade...

The router/modem should have an IP address for it. Usually this is in a format of X.X.X.254, where X is a number. This varies from company to company, but traditionally speaking, the LAN (i.e. router, modem, hub, switch, etc.) will be in the .254 slot. So how to figure out what the X's are?

Assuming you're on a windows pc, go to start - run - type "cmd" (without quotes) - press enter (or click ok). This should brint up a black box (called the command prompt). Type "ipconfig" (no quotes) and press <Enter>. This should bring up a line that says IP Address followed by a gap, some dots, and then a number.

Note - Don't give your IP address to anyone. This piece of information can open your pc to hacker intrusion, etc.

Pull up your internet browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.) and type in the first 3 sections of that IP address, followed by 254 (example: 10.10.10.254) and press enter. Hopefully it connects - that means there is communication between the modem and your pc. If not, then it's one of 2 things: no connectivity, or the modem address is different and you'll need to contact your provider to get this address.

If there's no connectivity, then try plugging the pc into the modem via cable and see if you can get connected. This way we can test if it's the wireless card or settings -vs- something else.

Hmm. That's enough for now :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
still need help? I have a solution look when you bought the wireless router they should have given you a Passphrase and Key1 so if you have those type it in and the person that set it up for you has the things i just said

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, either A. he fixed his problem, or B. it went down and won't let him reconnect! hehe.

Hopefully the former of course :)

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
PrinceZane said:
Just to bring things back on topic, I do tech support by trade...

The router/modem should have an IP address for it. Usually this is in a format of X.X.X.254, where X is a number. This varies from company to company, but traditionally speaking, the LAN (i.e. router, modem, hub, switch, etc.) will be in the .254 slot. So how to figure out what the X's are?

Assuming you're on a windows pc, go to start - run - type "cmd" (without quotes) - press enter (or click ok). This should brint up a black box (called the command prompt). Type "ipconfig" (no quotes) and press <Enter>. This should bring up a line that says IP Address followed by a gap, some dots, and then a number.

Note - Don't give your IP address to anyone. This piece of information can open your pc to hacker intrusion, etc.

Pull up your internet browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.) and type in the first 3 sections of that IP address, followed by 254 (example: 10.10.10.254) and press enter. Hopefully it connects - that means there is communication between the modem and your pc. If not, then it's one of 2 things: no connectivity, or the modem address is different and you'll need to contact your provider to get this address.

If there's no connectivity, then try plugging the pc into the modem via cable and see if you can get connected. This way we can test if it's the wireless card or settings -vs- something else.

Hmm. That's enough for now :)
I hope you now know you are the official 'computer wizard' and will now get all the problems sent to you - he he he.....well volunteer Mr :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts