Manchester United Talk banner

Who would you prefer to see play for United ?

• Henry.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Berbatov.

Votes: 48 46.6%
  • Huntelaar.

Votes: 28 27.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard very late last night that united have agreed a fee of 15million for henry with barca and its a done deal , fergie switched his attention to henry because spurs messed him around too much and are demanding too much money for a 27 year old.
i heard that henry is ready to jump at the chance of joining us because his style of play suits the english game more than european

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a fellow season ticket holder who is usually right 9 times out of 10 , lets hope he is this time , he usually finishes with a remember where you heard it first.
he would be a great addition to our team and would score loads of goals

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I heard this ages ago and I also heard the new coach convinced Henry to stay with them for one more season and hence rejected Man United's offer.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could well be right sparkic , its just i try to avoid most of the tabloid speculation because they get you all excited and nothing happens.
this lads right most of time and i do tend to take him seriously , i have looked all over the net and cannot find anything new on it , but you just never know?

·
23,699 Posts
stretty said:
could well be right sparkic , its just i try to avoid most of the tabloid speculation because they get you all excited and nothing happens.
this lads right most of time and i do tend to take him seriously , i have looked all over the net and cannot find anything new on it , but you just never know?
Daily Star is carrying the story... See Transfer Speculation Thread now.

·
Registered
736 Posts
something is not right................henry to manchester united.....wow quiet interesting.........but if manutd can complete the transfer move for berba that's better.......henry......i'm i dreaming........manucho on the way......hope we sign berba not henry.....

·
23,699 Posts
Only Daily Star is carrying the story though....

daily star

FERGIE'S SHOCK HENRY SWOOP
By Duncan Wright

SIR ALEX FERGUSON is weighing up a shock £15m swoop to sign Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

The Manchester United boss has been forced to look at other strikers after being blocked so far in his attempts to sign Dimitar Berbatov.

And ex-Arsenal star Henry is one of those near the top of his list. Ferguson believes the Barcelona forward could do a similar job to Berbatov, leading the line at Old Trafford in a role which would release Wayne Rooney from his shackles.

The United boss has also run the rule over Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz and Ajax's highly-rated Klass Jan Huntelaar.

But it is the emergence of Henry as one player in the frame that will come as a huge shock to Premier League supporters – particularly Gunners fans.

The thought of seeing their hero line up in a United shirt will fill Arsenal followers with dread – but such a prospect is not out of the question.

Ferguson is desperate to bring in another forward, but with Spurs playing hardball and seeking to find other buyers for £30m Berbatov, the Scot has been forced to cast his net further afield.

There are few players in Europe with the pedigree to fulfil the role, which has led Ferguson to check out Henry's situation at the Nou Camp.

Though new boss Pep Guardiola has indicated he wants Henry, 30, to stay, the fact Samuel Eto'o is still at the club means the Frenchman could be available.

The United boss has a history of making surprise signings – the likes of Eric Cantona and Henrik Larsson all came out of left-field.

And he has no qualms going in for a player with such a big Arsenal history as he proved two years ago by trying to tempt Patrick Vieira to Old Trafford.

Much depends on whether Ferguson wants a player to make an immediate impact, or a signing to build for the future.

Dutch striker Huntelaar represents a long-term plan but in Henry, Ferguson knows he would be getting a player already adept at the demands of Premier League and Champions League football.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
£15 million for henry at 31 is bad deal. We need to be going for youth not some has-been.

In both games in CL, the little bit I did see of henry was nowhere near his time at Arsenal. His pace was his major strength and he lost that now.

Its was good business sense on Wenger's part to get rid of him when he did. It would now be bad business sense for us to buy him when he best years are long long gone.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would love it if he came but didn't he say once the only other EPL club he would play for if not Arsenal was Liverpoo?

Then again he did say he will remain with Arsenal for life haha

Nah he is world class and if Fergie could get him it would be awesome!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
sparkic said:
I would love it if he came but didn't he say once the only other EPL club he would play for if not Arsenal was Liverpoo?

Then again he did say he will remain with Arsenal for life haha

Nah he is world class and if Fergie could get him it would be awesome!
correction. he WAS world-class. what has he done over last 12 months to warrant us signing him

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
personally i think he would do very well for us , the fee would have to be very small though to justify his age

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think if we can sign him at around £10 million then we have got a great deal, yes he may be 31 and not one for the future but for this coming season alone he would be great and then the chances of signing a younger player in January or next summer may be greater for us, we would also be signing a player who knows what the premiership is like and who is a proven goalscorer in it.

Imagine beating Arsenal 1-0 at the Emirates and Thierry Henry getting the goal for us :eek:

·
23,699 Posts
I woudn't be excited but horrified if we sign him.

Accepting a former Arsenal's talisman is already a traumatic experience enough that may actually require professional help to reconcile with.

And to bring him back to EPL, when Wenger had so shrewdly disposed, cannot be a step forward for United.

Besides the fact that he is already past 30, his best days are clearly behind him. Why are we going the path of lower clubs like Sunderland, West Ham and alike?!

Let's not live in the past and think beyond a stop-gap measure just for the near term. The Swedish legend was a different matter because it was only a loan for 3 months.

And for 15m pounds? There must be better things to do with the money.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I cannot describe how much i'd hate it if we signed him, never have liked him and i think he's well over the hill, and for £15m please i'd rather play John O'Shea up top all year. :)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'm not sure he's the right man for the position although he's class and would do a good job, but i think its worth paying £20m just to p**s the gunners off!

·
23,699 Posts
http://manutdblogger.com/thierry-henry-to-united-are-the-daily-star-on-acid-or-just-a-national-joke/

Thierry Henry to United? Are the Daily Star On Acid Or Just A National Joke?

We know it's been hot over the weekend and people tend to get a little bit giddy and a little bit lazy as the temperature rises. Yet this is no excuse for completely abandoning any pretence of journalistic rigour.

The Daily Star this morning reports - or more accurately regurgitates the story - that Thierry Henry could be on his way to Old Trafford.

The Star is hardly renowned for its sporting scoops - when did that tab last break any story of any significance that wasn't related to the gratuitous display of knockers?

Why anybody should even bother clicking through to a Star football story is a mystery, but, nonetheless, we all do it. We promptly feel dirty and disappointed as we contemplate yet another rehashed or apparently entirely dreamt-up stream of journalistic dross.

So this Henry business, then.

The Star's addled logic, backed up with rigorous research inbetween copious pints of Magner's at the local, rests on the assumption (presented as fact) that the Berbatov deal is dead in the water.

You can imagine (there's no harm in imagining, just ask the Star) the editorial meeting at Star HQ:

The editor chews his pen and twiddles his egg-stained tie, burrows in his nose briefly and then the diabolic afflatus arrives:

“That's it: Henry! The Berbatov deal is stalling. No one's heard of half those other strikers. Just whack Henry's name on the back of the paper and we'll get all the Gooner fans reading as well as the United fans. Perfick. Now, what's lunch ?â€

That possibly over-complicates the train of thought, but you get the idea.

Let's play devil's advocate for a moment and try to imagine just how this Henry business could have a tiny shred of credibility to it….
……

Nope, us neither.

Henry has serially re-iterated his feeling that Arsenal are “in his blood†- it's hard to imagine how a player so intrinsically linked with the identity of the Gunners could ever have the chutzpah to join one of their greatest - and most-destested rivals.

Not only would Henry receive a less than whole-hearted welcome from United fans, he would, in one fell swoop, demolish forever his hero status amongst Arsenal fans.

In fact the more we consider it, this Henry business just has to be sheer nonsense. It has to be.

In fact we're so confident it is, that should it ever happen, we'll walk down United Road wearing an ‘Eric Cantona is Sh*te, Please Kung Fu Kick Me In the Nadgers' t-shirt.

If it doesn't happen we'd like the football editor of the Star to do likewise.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts