Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Tragedies like these transcend footballing rivalries. 96 innocent people died, and needlessly at that.

RIP.
There you go.

I was 9 years old. I can't remember if it was "live" on BBC Grandstand, but I do remember watching the horror unfold - not quite comprehending that the bodies on the advertising boards (makeshift stretchers) were dead.

All they did was go to a football match, and 96 souls were never to return. Also to anyone who doesn't "get" the poignancy of Hillsborough - I read this in a book once.

"This should affect everyone who's ever stood at a football match, Fate chose Sheffield that day, but it's only by the grace of God, that the Hillsborough memorial plaque isn't at another ground with our own name upon it."

I hope the families find what it is they are looking for, and more importantly find peace.

I remember ITV did a really powerful and moving docu-drama about the disaster once. I;ve never seen it again but it was so well done.

I will also say, on the final game of that season - Arsenal presented flowers to each of the Liverpool players before kickoff, a truly classy gesture. Of course they then stuffed them 0-2.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Whilst more than ever the gulf in relations between Liverpool and United remains more of a chasm, today is a day to forget football rivaly. Today is a day to take a moment and remember 96 men women and children who went to an FA Cup Semi Final in Sheffield, full of hope, joy and anticipation - but were never to return. 96 lives lost through a tragic turn of events that could have happened at any ground in the country. An event that had fate chosen somewhere other than Leppings Lane Sheffield on April 15th 1989 - could well have taken our own life. It is by the grace of God that that memorial is not at Old Trafford with 96 United supporters' names engraved in stone.

It is a day to unite with our brothers and sisters in this crazy football community that we are part of and reflect, that not only were Liverpool football club affected by this, and the wider football world - but families, some who never gave football the time of day - lost relatives or friends.

That is why EVERYONE needs to take a moment to reflect on the events of that April afternoon.

RIP to them, and may their families find the closure they seek. You will never walk alone.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
I'm a Liverpool fan I thought i'd have a look on here and see what was being said about Hillsborough. Could I just say a huge thankyou to the ones who have posted their respects in this, whether it be a Liverpool or United fan, players, staff or whatever nobody deserves to die going to a football match. R.I.P the 96 and once again thankyou all.
Goes beyond football, you'd like to think that everyone would remember that. Unfortunately there are the minority of idiots who don't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts