Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. All football players this weekend have been wearing black armbands as respect to those who died in the tragedy and respect to the victim's families.

However last year, there were special armbands made for the 17th anniversary (pictured above), which I own and bought off a friend who recieved it from a Wigan player when they played at St James Park (Newcastle Utd) last year. I did not know why they didn't wear them this year, perhaps they feared that they'd be put on Ebay for auction or something....I don't know.

The Hillsborough disaster was a deadly human crush that occurred on April 15, 1989, at Hillsborough, a football stadium in Sheffield, England resulting in the death of 96 people (all fans of Liverpool Football Club).

The inquiry into the disaster, the Taylor Report, named the cause as failure of police control, and resulted in the conversion of many football stadiums in the United Kingdom to all-seater and the removal of barriers at the front of stands......(this reminds me of the incidents at Lille and Roma this year with Manchester United's champions league away games.)

Liverpool F.C. faced Nottingham Forest F.C. in the semi-final of the 1989 FA Cup, at Hillsborough, the home of Sheffield Wednesday F.C. FA Cup semi-finals are traditionally played at neutral venues so as not to favour either club involved. Liverpool and Nottingham Forest had also met at the semi-final stage of the same competition at the same ground the previous year without incident.

M

·
0 Posts
without being ignorant, but just what justice are you looking for, it happend, yes it was horrible BUT we saw the same in athens, NO TICKET, DON'T GO.
its all good goin over to support ya team but why STEAL tickets off your own fans, and barge your way in before genuine FANS. was the same at hillsborough but whos fault was it, not the scousers eh?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
This is an emotive subject that is best left alone now - no need to refuel the fires of arguements again and again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.