Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Personally i thought it "was" a penalty, i just think that if the goal keeper makes contact with a player in the box then it's a penalty, it was a 50 - 50 decision though, luckily enough it went our way.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
When it happened - in real time - it looked a stonewall penalty....and it must have looked the same way to Howard Webb, who has not been the kindest ref to us.

Only the replay from the reverse angle showed it was good goal-keeping and probably shouldn't have been a penalty.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I was screaming for a penalty at the time and the crowd would have reacted furiously had it not been given but after seeing the replay the keeper got the ball so it shouldn't have been given.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
yeah like i said to my mate at the time, its one that your happy to get but one youd be unhappy to be given against you, no matter what happened it was a talking point.

when i first saw it i thought penalty then after a few watched i changed my mind, but if you look at it from where webb was standing and in the speed it happened i can clearly see why he gave it.

even in the slow mo version you could see carrick moving the ball away and for me thats what webb saw, its a mistake but they happen just like they did last week in the FA cup semi

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
but since howard webb gave a penalty, how come he didnt send em off, its the rules...
i dont think gomes was the last man back if i remember rightly, he ran a long way towards carrick, and that would of been even harsher and maybe worse cause after all gomes did gift us some other goals

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
I think people are being ridiculously harsh on Webb, it needed a series of slow motion replays to prove Gomes made contact and at the time my first reaction was penalty... Far too much was being made of it on MOTD with Hansen calling it the turning point, that's rubbish, we were beginning our dominance and we would've scored sooner rather than later and then scored again. Bitter scouse bastardo's

1 - 20 of 36 Posts