Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always find stories about how people became fans as very touching and interesting, after all, the fans of football are a constant that the game takes for granted. Here is my story of how I became a fan of the greatest football club in the world-Manchester United
----------------------

I've always had football in my blood but I wasn't really into it in my early years. One day I bought a football from the store when I was about 9 or 10 and my dad taught me the basic skills. I started liking the game and my love and passion for it grew as the days went by. Even though I didn't realize it until the time of writing, my parents were huge factors in me becoming a football fan. They were the ones who told me the rules and were really passionate supporters.

Despite all of this I wasn't really tuned in to the international scene that often my parents were usually watching an Egyptian league match or the Egyptian national team and I would watch with them. My grandfather was the coach of the Egyptian team so that was a huge pulling factor for me. At that time I was a firm fan of Egypt and Al-Ahly (A club from Egypt) who are widely recognized as the Manchester United of Egypt lol in their dreams. Al-Ahly wear red, wear Vodafone, are the front-runners of many cups in Egypt and call themselves the Red Devils; pretty damn close to United if you ask me but I didn't know shit about United or European football at that time.

Then gradually I started tuning in to the international scene. I occasionally watched a few highlights of European leagues and matches and I wanted to know more about each team and their players, I already had a solid understanding of the game at that time and there were many players I started to like. Bergkamp being one of them, Ronaldo of Inter, Kluivert of AC Milan, Roberto Baggio of Italy, Rivaldo of Barcelona, Owen of Liverpool, Batistuta of Argentina, Okocha of Nigeria. These were only some of the players I got to know and I really started to follow them. The World Cup of 1998 was the turning point in my footballing life. I started to watch each team with intent of knowing more about them and I was a firm Brazil fan because, well, they are Brazil who doesn't like Brazil now eh? Plus most of the players I knew were from Brazil. The Dutch team was highly impressive as well. I remember one game when it was England vs Argentina me and my mom were supporting England and my dad was supporting Argentina, my dad never really liked English football (apart from George Best). It was one of the best games I've seen in my life and it remains in my memory until today.

Of course up until now I didn't know anything about United, and I didn't get to know about them for a long time. However I still heard about them from my friends and from the TV. My dad of course wasn't so keen on English football, because he has bad memories from it (I wont get into it because it is a long story).

All that changed in one faithful day. Once I was flipping channels and I saw a Manchester United game about to start. Coincidentally it was on February 6 1999 the day the Busby Babes died tragically, of course I didn't know that back then. It was our game against Nottingham Forest and I remember it like it was yesterday. United played such lovely, breath-taking football it was so hard to believe. And what really got me was that I hardly knew any of the players apart from Stam and Schmeichel because of the world cup. But this team was just incredible such skill, character, creativity, energy, beauty and goals galore. That was the moment that triggered my United fandom. I remember the order of things as well first Yorke scores, then they equalize Cole scores 2 then Yorke scores again. You'd think it was over after that because it was 4-1 but then Ole comes on and he scores 4 goals in 10 minutes it was absolutely incredible. 8-1 and I was enjoying it very much. I remember very little details in the game like Scholes's screamer that hit the crossbar after good team work, and you just had a feeling that every time United attacked they were going to score it was that simple. I could never understand why my dad hated English football after such a lovely display of football no team on earth could match.

That game captured my heart, imagination and soul and it made me obsessed about the team. I always looked in the news to see when the next United game was going to be and I would watch. One thing that creeps me out though is that the season I supported United they won the treble, I feel very privileged to have supported this team and I can't imagine myself supporting another team.

I still watched the team in the next games of the season. However, I don't remember the games very well to be honest although I do seem to recall their being a string of 1-0 wins especially during our title run-in. I was lucky enough to see United vs Inter at Old Trafford a game we won 2-0 and of course the big one against Bayern Munchen in the Nou Camp. At that time I wasn't a very passionate supporter of United I just liked them and I was only a kid so when we went 1-0 down I was displeased but not as anxious as the United fans in the Nou Camp lol!!!! United controlled the 1st half of the game without getting anywhere. The 2nd half was not much better we got caught out 3 times and we could've been buried. The team made a couple of subs and when I saw Ole come in I thought “Oh yeah he was the guy who scored 4 goals in 10 minutes we will see what will happen here.†In the last 10 minutes United started fighting hard and we looked like scoring everytime we went forward and I thought “bloody hell, why couldn't they play like this from the beginningâ€. We kept attacking and attacking but to no avail and when the 4th official raised his board that said “3†I left the TV room and went to get a snack and take a piss. When I came back the game was over and the United players were dancing around and the score came up and said Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munchen.

Next year was another successful year for United but sadly I wasn't able to watch all games because I was still settling in to Egypt after having lived in Zimbabwe for the treble season. But still the 2000 season was the most successful domestic season for United. There were many great moments but I won't be able to list them all.

By next season I knew we were going to win the league easily so I didn't bother watching all the games only the ones that were really big. I was really tuned in to the Champions League however because it was the trophy I wanted us to win so badly. There are some memories that stick out in my mind but I've forgotten most games I watched and I had to move to another country again, this time to Turkey.

By 2002 my fan attitude took a whole different turn I was still obsessed with the Champions League but in doing that we failed to win the league. I remember this moment very well, we had lost to Bolton at home 2-1 after leading thanks to a sublime Veron free-kick. I was really mad because we were playing so badly that season we lost to Liverpool, and Arsenal both 3-1 and I was hopping mad. But then I heard of a saying I don't remember where but it said “Don't judge a season by one game look at the big picture†You will enjoy the season much more that way. But still 2002 was a bad season for all United fans and losing to Arsenal and Leverkusen at the end hurt so bad. Add to that all the rumors that Fergie is leaving, a massive clearout, Liverpool finishing above us and having to put up with claims that Arsenal would now take over the premierleague. It was a season to forget for sure. This was the first year that we lost the league since I started supporting United. But of course that season I learned how to be a real fan and it did a lot of good for me. I now learned to respect opponents more and for once I realized that United can be defeated. I started going on the internet to see what people were saying about United and I just ended up knowing more about the club. I felt a lot more connected to the club because of this. Since then I've watched like 99% of all United matches up to date. Of course United fans have had a lot of disappointment afterwards especially in the seasons between 2004-2006. We suffered 3 years of pathetic performances and massive underachievement in Europe and the domestic scene. United were no longer the force they used to be as Arsenal and Chelsea took the crown from United and to them United became nothing but history. I honestly never thought we would be winning the league again. However in 2007 I'd be proven wrong and we have once again won the league for the 16th time, very close to Liverpool. It has been one of the best seasons even though we could have won a lot more. One thing is for sure...United will never die!!!

United Forever!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice nice man,....well my story is a little different.i started 2 play football when i was 8 years old,...and i didn't really know the clubs and the players and well,...nothing really:) then my friend told me about MAN UNITED and i watched the games of MAN UNITED and then i told myself-THIS IS MY CLUB.And since then i am a MAN UNITED FAN,....for 10 years now!!!
I just love this club,style of play and the FANS!!! Red Devils are the best fans in the world for me and i just wish that i could go on one match with them!!!
UNITED 4 LIFE!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
im a manutd fan because wen i was born my uncle bought me a manutd bib so i was a manutd fan ever since i can remember really :)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "forum things" ???

And secondly, could you people please type in english not sms as that is blatantly lazy and I hate it ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My parents and three brothers were all City season ticket holders when i was about 2. They dragged me along to watch them for a couple of seasons and luckily an uncle of mine moved back into salford and took me along to his own religion of man u. There was something magical about old trafford that grabbed me, i think it was the intensity of the crowd and even though at that time the blue scum had a better team, 35 years later i never miss a home game. United i love ya.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On a primary school trip to London at the time of the Cup final against Brighton (83 or 84 cant remember). All my mates were dippers and were banging on about how funny it would be if Brighton beat United. I didn't like the way they were going on so I said I supported United just to wind them. When we won that was it, things just seemed to stick and I have been a fan ever since

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been a united fan since I was 4 years old, my dad is used to live in Manchester before moving back to Northern Ireland. So I guess it's because of my dad, he wouldn't want his son growing up supporting a team like Liverpool now :p.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i became a united fan when they started winning things ... dead simple!! i live in london and most of my mates are manu fans too :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
well i must have been about 8,9 playen footy with my mates and some of them calleing me maclare,i didnt know any thing about him or the team whent to see my uncule and he told me about him and the team then i seen a game and it was paul ince that was my top player then........about 15,16 years now i think ....
the rest is history and a very good one at that......:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
why did you love manchester united ?

It start with me in 1999 I was a fan for inter milan ;
but as u know man utd beat him so after that game ; my friend was a fan for juventus so to make fun of my friend I began to be a fan of the man utd and after the dramatic way of the winning of the man when he won 3-2 at the juventus club I begaun to love the greatest team ;

and i remeber when my tears go on when the 90 minutes come aginst in the history game vs the byren when the were go to won ; but solsker and tedy make the difrince and we won ; but the reason of loving him was for the game aginst the italy team juventus

glory glory man united

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
actually fifa05 helped me understand football and now i love football........my first manager mode team was man utd............and now i am a great fan of united........this is pretty much it..........kinda weird aint it...........

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
when i first started watching football, united was the first team i saw, and i think the chemistry was just right, i knew united is going to be my club
and the more i learn abt the club's history, the more i realise how special is this club, now i am just one of the fans

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
My first memory of football is from when I was 5yrs old. I was watching Man United v Norwich City on TV. Norwich City scored and I kept asking my dad whether it was offside (even though I didn't know what that meant!) When he said it wasn't I suddenly got very upset.

And so it began! :D

Looking back at our results we lost that game 1-0 and finished 11th in the league that season. :(

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
yangch0000 said:
when i first started watching football, united was the first team i saw, and i think the chemistry was just right, i knew united is going to be my club
and the more i learn abt the club's history, the more i realise how special is this club, now i am just one of the fans
Yeah, basically that sums it all up for me! ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
my first game was United vs Forest my sister was a Forest fan so supported united to piss her off the rest is History fell in love with them on that day ( we lost 1-0 pearce free kick couldnt score from 12 yrds but can from 30 Donkey)

·
23,699 Posts
Back then in the 1970s, we were watching black and white TV. As a mild form of sibling rilvalry, my brother always supported the team in 'white' and me, the team in 'black'. And we slowly began to recognise teams albeit the games were just some weekend highlights or selected delayed games only.

It was 1977 when it happened by fate that United were playing Liverpool in the FA Cup Final. It was also our first live match that we witnessed. Of course, United won via a solitary goal by Lou Macari, if I don't remember it wrongly.

And that was it. The rest is history. My brother still supports Liverpool till today...

Whenever I recall my association with United, I always shudder. What if the teams in the final then were some other 'funny, funny teams'..... instead?!:eek:

1 - 20 of 345 Posts