Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's been a massive loss to us this season in quite a few areas of the pitch.

When we've been short of a right back he would have played there. Not that our defense has been bad obviously, but he'd have offered a hell of a lot more going forward than O' Shea. He's solid defensively and has the pace to recover if he makes a mistake. He's also great going forward, can go past a player when he needs to and is one of the best crossers of the ball in our team.

When we've needed a battler in midfield he'd have been in there hustling, making tackles and breaking up play, instead we've had other players who aren't on a par with him: Fletcher, who is actually having a decent season but isn't close to Hargo in quality. Anderson, who has failed to continue his form from last season and has been quite poor. And Carrick, by all accounts he's been quality this season, but in games like the Liverpool one we need someone who will get into a dogfight in the middle and take charge of the game and he simply never does that.

I think we've also missed him on the right wing. Nani simply hasn't performed this season and although he hasn't had many opportunities to prove himself, he simply hasn't done it when given the chance. Park is a brilliant grafter and will run his little heart out for the team, but he offers very little in an attacking sense. Fletcher should never ever get anywhere near the right wing. His crossing is poor, he's pretty slow and he can't dribble past a player. Hargreaves would have been our best option because of the reasons I stated earlier, pace, ability to beat a man when necessary and excellent crossing ability.

The last area we've missed him for is set pieces. Ronaldo scores one every now and again, but the large majority of them go straight into the wall , miles wide or into row Z. Hargreaves scored two free kicks for us last season and seemed to hit the target with most of his others. The close range free kicks around the edge of the area should ALL be taken by him, because Ronaldo struggles to get the ball up over the wall and down again from such a short distance.

So there we have it, although we're still having a great season, I think if Hargreaves was fit we'd have been running away with the league by now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:thumbsup:Agree with everything you said, spot on assessment IMO, Will be like signing a new player next season if (as hoped) he can come back successfully from his ops.

When we've been short of a right back he would have payed there. Not that our defense has been bad obviously, but he'd have offered a hell of a lot more going forward than O' Shea. He's solid defensively and has the pace to recover if he makes a mistake. He's also great going forward, can go past a player when he needs to and is one of the best crossers of the ball in our team.

When we've needed a battler in midfield he'd have been in there hustling, making tackles and breaking up play, instead we've had other players who aren't on a par with him: Fletcher, who is actually having a decent season but isn't close to Hargo in quality. Anderson, who has failed to continue his form from :thumbsup:last season and has been quite poor. And Carrick, by all accounts he's been quality this season, but in games like the Liverpool one we need someone who will get into a dogfight in the middle and take charge of the game and he simply never does that.

I think we've also missed him on the right wing. Nani simply hasn't performed this season and although he hasn't had many opportunities to prove himself, he simply hasn't done it when given the chance. Park is a brilliant grafter and will run his little heart out for the team, but he offers very little in an attacking sense. Fletcher should never ever get anywhere near the right wing. His crossing is poor, he's pretty slow and he can't dribble past a player. Hargreaves would have been our best option because of the reasons I stated earlier, pace, ability to beat a man when necessary and excellent crossing ability.

The last area we've missed him for is set pieces. Ronaldo scores one every now and again, but the large majority of them go straight into the wall , miles wide or into row Z. Hargreaves scored two free kicks for us last season and seemed to hit the target with most of his others. The close range free kicks around the edge of the area should ALL be taken by him, because Ronaldo struggles to get the ball up over the wall and down again from such a short distance.

So there we have it, although we're still having a great season, I think if Hargreaves was fit we'd have been running away with the league by now.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
We certainly do miss him. I don't think people realise how much we have this season.

Obviously you have covered all the positions where he could have helped us this season. I think if he was available for last week and today, midfield should have been the position he played in. I think we lacked energy, drive and strength in there and about today, I'm really quite puzzled as to why he chose Giggs and Scholes tbh.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We certainly do miss him. I don't think people realise how much we have this season.

Obviously you have covered all the positions where he could have helped us this season. I think if he was available for last week and today, midfield should have been the position he played in. I think we lacked energy, drive and strength in there and about today, I'm really quite puzzled as to why he chose Giggs and Scholes tbh.
Agreed, Legends that they are ,unfortunately they don't have the legs for a midfield battle anymore, more so Scholesy who i think struggles when he is closed down quickly now, don't get me wrong i'm noy knocking them , i love the two of them, i just think this was not the right game for them to play

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
A lot!

I'm not going to repeat his qualities since you've already done that nicely in the first post.

Suffice to say, he is a top player who added an extra bit of quality to the squad.

We were expecting a defensive midfielder when his transfer was finally completed, but since his arrival he has struck me more as a box to box midfielder and actually impressed me more when he played as a right back or on the wings.

He plays with a lot of energy, is the second fastest player in the team behind Ronaldo and his drive, hustle and crosses are being missed right now.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ever since his world class performances for England in World Cup 06, i've been a massive fan of his.
Suffice to say, I'll have a huge smile on my face when he dons the Utd shirt for us next season. We really need him.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Ive always said that what we have missed is a defensive mid a la hargreaves, I was kind of hopping we would go out and get somebody in january to fill in his role.

·
Registered
773 Posts
if the antonio valencia rumours are true then i'd be happy.....and next season hopefully hargreaves keep fit and play every games and be mr reliable like how ronaldo does last season...

·
Registered
734 Posts
if the antonio valencia rumours are true then i'd be happy.....and next season hopefully hargreaves keep fit and play every games and be mr reliable like how ronaldo does last season...
i dont see Hargo scoring 40 plus goals some how, but Hargo is a class act and when he is back in full swing it will be a monstrous boost to the team.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Yup, we've missed him badly.

We need someone like him in the middle of the park. Another area I think we've missed him - Free Kicks.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
oh owen hargreaves you are the love of my life oh owen hargreaves ill let you shag my wife oh owen hargreaves

true legend

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Yes i think the thing we miss about him most is his intelligence, being a winner and his discipline whatever job he does. Like he offers more drive to the team than carrick and ive always said that carrick never offers drive to a team with his style of play. The difference between him and berbatov are that even though both are experienced players, hargo is more experienced in terms of winning things, being a champion so to speak with bayern and we could with a head like his at this time of the season, its priceless.

Ofcourse the versatility part is also a huge miss and i think along with him we miss brown abit too if im being honest. He had that right back position on lock last year with his strenght and he had some nice assists with his crosses too, we miss them both imo.

I agree some of our other midfielders have not been at there best such as anderson but i think fergie made some mistakes in terms of team selection yesterday possibly. Its easy to speak in hindsight ofcourse but i think he should have played the team that lost to liverpool and redeem themselves but thats just the way it is i guess.

We'll have to send a message against villa now to the rest of the premiership.

pz! :cool:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Yes i think the thing we miss about him most is his intelligence, being a winner and his discipline whatever job he does. Like he offers more drive to the team than carrick and ive always said that carrick never offers drive to a team with his style of play. The difference between him and berbatov are that even though both are experienced players, hargo is more experienced in terms of winning things, being a champion so to speak with bayern and we could with a head like his at this time of the season, its priceless.

Ofcourse the versatility part is also a huge miss and i think along with him we miss brown abit too if im being honest. He had that right back position on lock last year with his strenght and he had some nice assists with his crosses too, we miss them both imo.

I agree some of our other midfielders have not been at there best such as anderson but i think fergie made some mistakes in terms of team selection yesterday possibly. Its easy to speak in hindsight ofcourse but i think he should have played the team that lost to liverpool and redeem themselves but thats just the way it is i guess.

We'll have to send a message against villa now to the rest of the premiership

pz! :cool:
Agree with the post - especially the highlighted bit.

He said that Carrick was looking tired, but with the Internationals coming up, he should have started with the team that lost Liverpool and taken players off once the game was comfortable.

Then again, the team that he did start with was good enough to win. Even when down to 10 men we could have and should have at least equalized.

We are missing directness and drive from midfield and Giggsy has done well in his new position this season, but there's no doubt that there are some tired legs in the United ranks and an extra player of Hargo's calibre would definitely add extra ammo to our fire power.

·
Registered
57 Posts

When we've been short of a right back he would have played there. Not that our defense has been bad obviously, but he'd have offered a hell of a lot more going forward than O' Shea. He's solid defensively and has the pace to recover if he makes a mistake. He's also great going forward, can go past a player when he needs to and is one of the best crossers of the ball in our team.

When we've needed a battler in midfield he'd have been in there hustling, making tackles and breaking up play, instead we've had other players who aren't on a par with him: Fletcher, who is actually having a decent season but isn't close to Hargo in quality. Anderson, who has failed to continue his form from last season and has been quite poor. And Carrick, by all accounts he's been quality this season, but in games like the Liverpool one we need someone who will get into a dogfight in the middle and take charge of the game and he simply never does that.

Hit the nail on the head:specool:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think hargreaves is a very good player and utd would certainly benefit with him in the team ,but when you say how much has utd missed him i find that very hard to judge because hargreaves has not nailed a position down yet due to all his injuries , he was out of the team just has much as he was in it last season because of persistent injuries if my memory is correct and he has missed the whole of this season , so when did utd actually rely on the guy ,i desperatly hope that hargreaves can one day show us how good he is in a utd shirt and put this injury hell behind him but so far utd have had very little of a return for the 18 million he cost.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
If, when Hargreaves returns, we get a freekick and
Ronaldo tries to take it I want Hargreaves to punch
him in the eye.

Seriously though, Hargreaves should be taking our
freekicks regularly. Last year he took one and scored.
100% record. Eat yer heart out Mr. 50/50 Juninho.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If, when Hargreaves returns, we get a freekick and
Ronaldo tries to take it I want Hargreaves to punch
him in the eye.

Seriously though, Hargreaves should be taking our
freekicks regularly. Last year he took one and scored.
100% record.
Eat yer heart out Mr. 50/50 Juninho.
He scored two, Fulham and Arsenal. :whistling:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts