Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
i think hargreaves is a very good player and utd would certainly benefit with him in the team ,but when you say how much has utd missed him i find that very hard to judge because hargreaves has not nailed a position down yet due to all his injuries , he was out of the team just has much as he was in it last season because of persistent injuries if my memory is correct and he has missed the whole of this season , so when did utd actually rely on the guy ,i desperatly hope that hargreaves can one day show us how good he is in a utd shirt and put this injury hell behind him but so far utd have had very little of a return for the 18 million he cost.
I agree he never really held down a place but what he can give us is a bit of steel in the midfield which we have been missing since keano left, and having a player like him sometimes is the difference in big games like the one against liverpool

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Personally I'm glad, he had the operation that means when he is back playing next year he should be injury free from the tendintus and the problem shouldn't come back.
I would love to see Owen pair with Carrick in the midfield next season.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
its funny how this thread never started after the chelsea game , we have played well for most of the season without him , now all of a sudden after two defeats in a row he is the reason why we have had a blip

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I agree he never really held down a place but what he can give us is a bit of steel in the midfield which we have been missing since keano left, and having a player like him sometimes is the difference in big games like the one against liverpool
i do rate hargreaves highly but he needs to be fit , and your dead right this team needs steel in midfield i have said it for 2 seasons ,most teams that get utds midfield under serious pressure will walk away with some points up until mid november we were very dodgy then we pulled clear but now the pressure games are beginning to tell again . whatever happens in the title race {utd still in control} we need to get a midfield enforcer from somewhere in the summer for this team to really hit its peak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
its funny how this thread never started after the chelsea game , we have played well for most of the season without him , now all of a sudden after two defeats in a row he is the reason why we have had a blip
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying he's a very useful player who would have been a much better replacement than O' Shea/Fletcher/Park etc and brings a hell of a lot more quality to the team when he plays.

I started the thread to try and create some discussion. What does the timing of the thread have to do with anything? It's hardly a doom and gloom thread is it? Have you even read it? I'll PM you next time and ask permission :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
hargo is one of our best midfield players.. with all these games we are having in our busy schedule we really needed him.. but im happy he has had the operation since he has been having all these problems.. sitting right in front of the defenders and helping out the attackers he never gives up.. cant wai till he comes back

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying he's a very useful player who would have been a much better replacement than O' Shea/Fletcher/Park etc and brings a hell of a lot more quality to the team when he plays.

I started the thread to try and create some discussion. What does the timing of the thread have to do with anything? It's hardly a doom and gloom thread is it? Have you even read it? I'll PM you next time and ask permission :thumbsup:
No need for that mr super mod , you are entitled to your opinion as i am mine .
I have read your post and what you say is true , but this discussion would not even be taking place if united had beat liverpool and fulham , all i am saying is these things are coming out now and nothing before when things were going well.
Is it just me or is there a lot more animosity on this forum lately:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No need for that mr super mod , you are entitled to your opinion as i am mine .
I have read your post and what you say is true , but this discussion would not even be taking place if united had beat liverpool and fulham , all i am saying is these things are coming out now and nothing before when things were going well.
Is it just me or is there a lot more animosity on this forum lately:)
I'm not saying that we'd have won the last two games or that the fact he's missing is why we've struggled recently. I'm just putting the point across that he can be a massively influential player for us and I was curious how much people think we've missed him this season. The thread is completely unrelated to the last two games so it could have been started at any time. I think if you search through my threads you'll see I'm hardly a knee jerk reaction kind of person.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
too true zuco you are a great poster and by and large i agree with most of your views , i do not want to go over the hargreaves debate again as it was covered on is our midfield overated.
I think we always miss players with long injury lay offs , wes , hargreaves neville etc as they are still a part of our first team squad their absence leaves a hole which is hard to fill and limits fergies options

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The biggest reason we miss him is the regression that Anderson has had this year as he is the most comparable player to him. Fletcher is somewhat, but his entire game is based on running. Hargo (and Ando last year) actually adds some skill as well.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
right lads and lasses, a new article is up in the blog regarding Hargreaves.
It was posted by PeterSwellman so get on in there to make a comment or discuss.....

Hargreaves Injury - How Much Could It Cost Us? | Man Utd Talk
very well written good article , like i said i wish he comes good but i have my doubts , oh shit here i go again i had better stop we have been over this before.
actually it was a good article well done peterswellman

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do we miss Hargreaves?

English Angle: Four Reasons Why Manchester United Are Desperate For Owen Hargreaves' Return

Some blame the defence and others blame fatigue, but Goal.com's Greg Ptolomey believes the Red Devils are short one key man in particular...

Manchester United need Owen Hargreaves - the player, not the phantom of Old Trafford - back in action for four reasons: their suddenly human defence.

When the Red Devils were racking up the clean-sheets, many said that the defence, with goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar behind them, was invincible. Now, that same rearguard is taking a battering, both from opposition attackers and an array of critics. The truth behind United's current slump, though, must surely lie somewhere in between, and that naturally leads us to the midfield.

Even whilst Sir Alex Ferguson's men were charging on unchallenged, there were signs of frailty during the too-close League Cup win over Derby County in January. Blackburn Rovers' Roque Santa Cruz broke the clean sheet record but the flaws weren't really amplified until the 2-1 win at Newcastle United in early March, wherein the gung-ho Magpies provided a real test. Inter then outplayed them to no avail, before the levee broke three days later: Liverpool thumped them, Fulham stunned them, Aston Villa went down narrowly and, finally, Porto drew 2-2 in midweek, and could have won easily.

Sure, there have been individual errors at the back. Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were shocking against the Reds, and even though the resurgent former and injured latter weren't to blame as Porto ran riot, Jonny Evans and Gary Neville made costly mistakes. More to the point, however, the midfield has been dominated time and again in recent weeks, often at home, thus the defence is far more exposed than it should be. There's no shield in front of the defence, 50-50 balls are going the wrong way and games are raging from end-to-end - like a basketball match, as the cliche goes.

Now we've come to the business end of the season, when Manchester United are supposed to come alive. Instead, they're gasping for air and every side they encounter will fancy their chances, based on what they've seen recently. There's something missing, quite literally, in the shape of perma-crocked midfield battler Owen Hargreaves.

So why should we yearn for the Canadian-born English international with the German background? Simply put, he's a tiger and does not let games pass him by as some of the United midfielders have done lately. Michael Carrick looks somewhat bereft of confidence and authority after a stunning half-season or so, and fatigue may be playing its part. Anderson is an option, but he's too classy for extended shifts in the war zone. Paul Scholes is what he is – a veteran to be used sparingly and a player whose raking passes are his main asset in his twilight years. Darren Fletcher, meanwhile, is a squad man playing more than even he expects to.

Boss Ferguson bought Hargreaves from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2007 for a weighty £17 million, handing him a four-year contract which hinted at his plans for the player. He's a peak-age 28-year-old now, and would come alive on the big occasions, such as Tuesday evening's Champions League fiasco. Certainly, he showed early on in his United career that he intended to bring titles to the club. Other bonus points include his free kick prowess – United are suddenly shambolic on that front – and his positional versatility.

To play Hargreaves, of course, he has to be fit. Exactly what stage he's at has been the subject of some confusion, but the word is that he's training at Carrington and stepping up his fitness bid by the day, now onto the final stretch of his rehabilitation. He's needed surgery twice to correct his patella tendonitis, which means that both knees have not been able to handle the impact of landing after a routine leap. Highly-rated American surgeon-***-miracle worker Dr. Richard Steadman has been working on Hargreaves, giving hope that he'll make a full recovery, as many under his care have.

When someone has been out this long, then, it's probably best to complete the programme and not risk the kind of damage that can end careers prematurely. Hargreaves recently insisted that he'll be back even stronger but admitted that he hasn't been watching United's progress closely due to frustration, something that Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas also revealed during his lay-off. It looks as though United will have to wait until the summer before the midfielder can plug their hole – yet it's clearly still there.

Obviously, there remains the possibility that Hargreaves could suffer a further set-back, or that he won't be the same player on his eventual return. Thus, one would be surprised if Ferguson's wily eyes haven't wandered across the globe looking for a potential replacement. Real Madrid's Mahamadou Diarra and Sporting Lisbon man Miguel Veloso are two possible targets, with Standard Liege starlet Alex Witsel also frequently linked with a Premier League move. There are attainable players to fill the void, but 'Fergie' is likely to wait on 'Hargo' for as long as possible.

More immediately, the gaffer must readjust somewhat to compensate. His side need to reclaim the midfield and pull together in order to protect a lambasted defence which cannot have become a bad unit overnight. Let's hope the talented Mr Hargreaves returns in time for next season, but for now, United must somehow compensate for a problem they have yet to fully identify.

So do we??

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Ask peterswellman.
yup, we have done a bit of talking about Hargreaves already this season. Check out the blog section for a good write up as well.
I just wrote this in the matchday thread about half hour ago.....

What I would have given to have seen Hargreaves playing last night.
Hargreaves is one of my favourite players as well as being one of United's most important players.
I have banged on since his arrival about how class this lad is so Ill keep this short.
Yes, we miss him A LOT! :D

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
It's amazing how the whole of England now recognise Hargreaves as a kay player for both United and England. World Cup 2002 when he was at Bayern he was considered a laughing stock, a "woman" :)D) and all other bollocks.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It's amazing how the whole of England now recognise Hargreaves as a kay player for both United and England. World Cup 2002 when he was at Bayern he was considered a laughing stock, a "woman" :)D) and all other bollocks.
They only recognise now that he ISNT playing (well in United's case anyway)
Lots of members on here didnt even rate him last season and still dont :rolleyes:
they wouldnt know a good baller if they bit them in the arse.

just found my old Hargreaves thread :D
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/15271-owen-hargreaves.html

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
They only recognise now that he ISNT playing (well in United's case anyway)
Lots of members on here didnt even rate him last season and still dont :rolleyes:
they wouldnt know a good baller if they bit them in the arse.
Players like that go unnoticed, because they don't score much, don't get assists, they go by unseen, as it were, but they're the workhorses. And you know that when they're NOT in the pitch, and you notice something is missing...

We have someone like that, Moutinho. Luckily, that boy seems to be impervious to pain, he hasn't missed a game trough injury... ever. A player here gets a one game ban on each 5th yellow card he gets in the league. Moutinho has 4 yellow cards since we played Leixões away. We just played the rematch with them, so that's 15 (!!) games he's gone without a booking. Hargreaves is the same. Seems an average player, until he's not playing...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.