Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew the basics of this story through interviews with Sir Alex Ferguson, but never knew the specific figures and how exactly Peter Kenyon had managed to botch a transfer that was supposed to be in the bag.

Barcelona had just elected Jan Laporta as it's new president and he had a man named Sandro Rosell on his board. Rosell had been Nike's man in Brazil had made many important contacts there including Ronaldinho and his brother, Asis.

The following excerpt from Jethro Soutar's biography of Ronaldinho illustrates how the transfer played out:

" The plot thickened when Ronaldinho was spotted in Madrid, but it turned out that he was only making an advert for Pepsi. In fact, Madrid’s interest cooled and Ronaldinho’s future suddenly boiled down to the choices of two: Barca or Man United

Negotiations hotted up. PSG’s directors lodged Rossell and Kenyon in neighbouring hotels in Lyon and walked back and forth between the two, getting one to outbid the other, each oblivious to what was going on behind the scenes.

In this way, Ronaldnho’s transfer price was upped to €30mil (£20mil). Rosell had to drop out at €27mil (18.3) but Kenyon met the asking price – plus €3million (£2mil) in add-ons – and the deal was done. Manchester United would send official confirmation as soon as Peter Kenyon had returned to Old Trafford.

However, when the fax arrived a few days later, it was for €28 million (£19 million) rather than the €30 million (£20million) agreed upon. Kenyon had got wind of the fact that Barca would not go beyond €27 million (£18.3million). Francis Graille, the PSG president, felt insulted and replied with a fax telling the Manchester club that they had broken their side of the bargain and the deal was off.

Old Trafford replied that 30mil was fine, but it was too late: Graille had called Rosell and told him Barca could have Ronaldinho for €27 million (£18.3 million). It had become a matter of principle and, while Rosell had acted honourably throughout, Kenyon, it was felt, had not. It ws one more reason for PSG to favour Barca. Besides, the bidding war had done it’s job: before the whole soap opera began, the first bid from Barca had been for €16 million (£10.8 million). Manchester United had started lower, though this was viewed in Paris as a further example of the condescending attitude emanating from Lancashire: Barca’s offers were at least respectable right from the start.

…..As the Man United team and entourage boarded a plane for their pre-season trip to the United States, they believed the deal was in the bag. By the time they landed, Ronaldinho had signed for Barcelona. Alex Ferguson was furious and his relationship with the chief executive would never recover: Kenyon left the club two months later, accepting a lucrative offer from Chelsea. "

...and the rest as they say is history.

Interstingly enough, Man Utd helped Barca by selling David Beckham to Madrid, BUT two days prior to that, ManUtd.com announced that he had been sold to Barcelona, thus forcing Madrid's hand to buy Beckham and at the same time giving credibility to Laporta candidacy and he was swiftly swept into power.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
I had to delete the last sentence beginning ...

"It is alleged that ........."

We don't really want to be involved with allegations etc etc ... just in case ... ;)

Very good article though - was Kenyon wrong ... ?

He tried to save £1 Million on the deal ...

Bit cheeky maybe ...

But not very good manners after you make a deal to play with the figures !!

Fergie got rid of him anyway, lol ... :p

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
If that's true that's very sneaky. Shaving £2 Million of the agreed price of £30 just because Kenyon knew that Barca were unwilling to go above £27. To me that's bullying and it should be beneath the likes of Man United. We have far too much honour and pride and money :p to go around trying to rip off smaller clubs like PSG.

·
Registered
488 Posts
He's not worth that kind of money for now... Although I will be very happy to se him in our jersey. Hopefully we can spashed out on him, won't want to see him with any of the other 3. But being a prideful player like him would really cause high and lows for a team... Look what he have done with Barcelona...

Arsenal might be the only team to have the money to splash in on him at the moment.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carlyluvsunited said:
I had to delete the last sentence beginning ...

"It is alleged that ........."

We don't really want to be involved with allegations etc etc ... just in case ... ;)

Very good article though - was Kenyon wrong ... ?

He tried to save £1 Million on the deal ...

Bit cheeky maybe ...

But not very good manners after you make a deal to play with the figures !!

Fergie got rid of him anyway, lol ... :p
That was in the book too, though not quoted, but I paraphrased it. In case anybody wants to know how Man Utd MIGHT have inadvertently contributed to Ronaldinho's transfer to Barcelona can PM me. :p

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
RedForceRising said:
That was in the book too, though not quoted, but I paraphrased it. In case anybody wants to know how Man Utd MIGHT have inadvertently contributed to Ronaldinho's transfer to Barcelona can PM me. :p
:D

Sorry about that but the internet police will arrest me ... :eek:

We already had some problems with articles being copied etc etc and the
copyright laws - so we have to be care ful ... :)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
abojodeh said:
thanks god we didnt buy ronaldinho
You're kidding, right?

Ronaldinho may currently be a shadow of his former self but he went on to be 2 time World Player of the Year at Barcelona. I'll never forgive Kenyon for messing up that transfer or signing a mega-bucks deal to join Chelsea. He is an idiot and a traitor of the highest order. :mad:

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
You're kidding, right?

Ronaldinho may currently be a shadow of his former self but he went on to be 2 time World Player of the Year at Barcelona. I'll never forgive Kenyon for messing up that transfer or signing a mega-bucks deal to join Chelsea. He is an idiot and a traitor of the highest order. :mad:
if we bought him we might didnt buy ronaldo and rooney
which both better than him

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
abojodeh said:
if we bought him we might didnt buy ronaldo and rooney
which both better than him
We bought Ronaldo from the money we got selling Beckham.

Fergie seemed determined to get Rooney and if the manager spots a World class talent then the board will do the utmost to sign him...hence us trying to buy Ronaldinho!

Besides, can you imagine the amount of money Unted would have made from selling Ronaldinho merchandise?!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
We bought Ronaldo from the money we got selling Beckham.

Fergie seemed determined to get Rooney and if the manager spots a World class talent then the board will do the utmost to sign him...hence us trying to buy Ronaldinho!

Besides, can you imagine the amount of money Unted would have made from selling Ronaldinho merchandise?!
nowdays ronaldo is more populare

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
What a shame. Ronaldinho could have been a Legend for us, if we had gotten him.
Doesn't really matter now. Rooney & Ronaldo are 2 of the most popular footballers in the world at the moment. Ronaldo will sweep up every award possible this year, and in Anderson we've got someone who can be as great as Ronaldinho, if not better- who knows?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
sparkic said:
I hate kenyon so much!! ehh!! Imagine ronaldo AND ronaldinhio in ONE team?? And then add Rooney to the equation!!
ronaldinho ronaldo together AGHHH a selfish formation
and if we have ronaldhino we woludnt buy ronaldo

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
abojodeh said:
Ronaldinho would have been a replacement for Veron. Ronaldinho joined Barcelona in 2003, which is the year we sold Veron to Chelsea.

Ronaldo was bought as a replacement for Beckham.

I'm sure we'd have found a way to accomodate 2 of the best players in World football!!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
abojodeh said:
Nah I really think we would of...Ronaldinhio plays more of the centre mid role replaceing Veron and Ronaldo would be a winger like he is today or even a striker like he played vs Roma BUT what would be different is that Ronaldinhio would be our number 7 NOT Ronaldo!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
sparkic said:
Nah I really think we would of...Ronaldinhio plays more of the centre mid role replaceing Veron and Ronaldo would be a winger like he is today or even a striker like he played vs Roma BUT what would be different is that Ronaldinhio would be our number 7 NOT Ronaldo!
ronaldinho was to be perfect to assist for VNS not to score
and ronaldo is better anyway

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
reddwarf said:
Ronaldinho would have been a replacement for Veron. Ronaldinho joined Barcelona in 2003, which is the year we sold Veron to Chelsea.

Ronaldo was bought as a replacement for Beckham.

I'm sure we'd have found a way to accomodate 2 of the best players in World football!!!
What really irritates me is that Ronaldinho was the closes we've ever come to signing a big name player. I was reading about him on websites and even in the ManUtd mags and I was really sad when it didn't work out.

Can you imagine what our squad would have been like with Ronaldinho in the team.
By the 2005/2006 season it would have been him and Ronaldo feeding RVN and Wazza... that would have been some attacking line-ip.

Sadly Fergie's tried and failed to sign many big name players like Shearer, Zidane, Ronaldo......

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
RedForceRising said:
What really irritates me is that Ronaldinho was the closes we've ever come to signing a big name player
Keane, Cantona, Law, Best, RVN, Ronnie, Rio, Rooney, Tevez ...

Don't get much bigger than these guys ...

And we bought them all ... :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts