Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
What a difference 4 years can make eh !!!

Boston United 1-2 Hull City - 31st March 2004, York Street, League Two, Attendance: 4,741

Arsenal 1-2 Hull City - 27th September 2008, Emirates Stadium, Premier League, Attendance: 60,037

:D
Nice stat ya pulled out there Sal :p Cmon Hull!!!!

G

·
I only remembered that because for some reason that result mattered
at the time for me, no idea why now ( something to do with Boston i think ) . :confused:

Then i saw the Hull 2 - 1 win today and thought of the comparison,
so i went and found the stats. :D

Big leap for Hull and i'm well pleased for them.
Hope they do well this season and stay up.
Results like todays make for a more interesting Premiership IMO.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Anyone interested in seeing the goals ? I miised it so here are some links....

Arsenal vs Hull City
English Premier League

Saturday September 27, 2008 6th Day

Emirates Stadium

Pre-Match Video

Click Here for Video
GOALS

1st goal for Arsenal by Fabregas 50'
Click Here for Video

1st goal for Hull City by Geovanni 62'
Click Here for Video

2nd goal for Hull City by McShane 66'
Click Here for Video
EXTRAS

Fabregas shot 14'
Click Here for Video

Eboue shot 41'
Click Here for Video

Dangerous chance for Hull city by Boateng 47'
Click Here for Video

Lost chance by Adebayor 53'
Click Here for Video

Head shot by Gallas hits the crossbar 84'
Click Here for Video

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah. I saw the whole game, and when Arsenal took the lead I thought the game was finished. I couldn't see Hull getting one goal back, never mind 2. And I didn't think Arsenal wouldn't score any more.

But it was incredible. They played incredibly well, and scored two great goals.

Geovannis was the best goal I've seen this season imho, and the second one was a great header by Daniel Cousin for the second.

As I said, I had changed my mind after seeing Hull about them getting relegated, and I was wrong to doubt them at the beginning of the season. They have a good team, and good experienced players.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Does Geovanni only score screamers?!? They already have as many points as Derby! Not bad for their first EVER run in the top flight!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
It gives hope for the season,when the freak results DO happen,Hull could bang a UEFA spot if they carry on!!
I would like to see them in the Prem more often.. Beating ARSENAL! On a more serious note they are playing great.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If at the beginning of the season someone were to tell me that Hull will be on top of man utd after six game..i will probably laugh or worst slap that person, what more Arsenal to lose againts them..Look like im the one who need a slap right now it seems :D

How easy for them to go to Emirates and make Arsenal lose like that:eek: It may still be too early to tell but watching them against Arsenal impressed me especially how they hang on and never stop trying..and to make matter worst, both Hull goals was much better than Fabregas goal lol..Dont know why im very happy for Hull...weird it is ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
i watched the second half and in the last 10 minutes my heart started pounding.

It was like watching the Man Utd - Barcelona match. I didn't want arsenal to equalize late like they did against Man utd and Aston Villa last season and they didn't.

Kudos to Hull they played with courage and got a great result!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i think this team would probably qualify to atleast inter toto..
they have made a good process since the beginning of this
season.. and they have no name players that can score big
teams like everton, arsenal, fulham, and newcastle.. quality
great expectations from this club! ;]

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I know it's still early but that could be result of the season. I have been really impressed by Hull. They are certainly the surprise package this year. I really hope they maintain it. Wigan showed what can be achieved by newbies in the Premiership and I think the only thing that could derail them is long-term injuries to key players.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
good luck to em hope they do well..... mid table i expect from them this season if they can keep it up, champions league next season- im ringing bet fred

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Hulls away form has been great, i never gave them a chance, been honest i thought i would see another Derby!
Well done to the Manager and Players so far.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
from goal.com
Hull City have surprised many people with their eyebrow-raising early form in England's top tier. What is the secret behind their early form, and how long can they keep it up for?

According to Fifa, Hull City's rise from the bottom division to England's top tier is the third fastest ever recorded. Their five year charge rising through 84 positions in the football league - from fifth bottom in League Two to sixth from top in the Premier League is bettered only by Swansea City (1977-81), and Wimbledon (1982-86).

Many doubted their credentials in the Championship, let alone the Premier League, and prior to the birth of this season the Tigers were tipped for a fate similar to Derby County - who finished last season rock bottom with a pitiful point tally one shy of a dozen, four worse than Sunderland who - two years before Derby's relegation - were the worst team to ever enter England's highest division.

We are only six games into the season and Hull City have already equalled the amount of points it took Derby 38 games to accumulate. A total of forty has long been considered a sufficient haul to guarantee survival; last year for instance Fulham maintained their Premier League status with 36, so if one takes these yardsticks as a measure of the targets Hull need to match then they are already just under a third of their way there, with not even a sixth of the season completed.

How are they achieving this? Especially with a backbone of mainstay players who were competing in the lower leagues for the majority of their careers not so long ago?

Hull City have an abnormally large squad, and Phil Brown has already used 23 players in only 540 minutes of football. Daniel Cousin for instance, who ensured Hull left the Emirates with all three points on Saturday, was only making his second appearance of the season. A policy of rotation is oft bemoaned for a club harbouring ambitions of winning titles, but are freshness and eagerness commodities that are more valuable for a squad trying to steer clear of the drop zone?

Phil Brown is a bold and brave head coach. Not many would change a winning tactic, but Brown's approach to the Arsenal encounter was tactically impeccable. Instead of fielding his 4-4-2 that secured a win over Newcastle United at St James' Park, and a draw against Everton at home in the KC, Brown opted instead to deploy Brazilian Geovanni in the hole behind his two strikers, in a 4-3-3.

Hull's midfield trio snuffed out, suffocated, stifled, and frustrated a lionshare of Arsenal's attacks, and it produced what must surely be one of the greatest results in their history under the guidance of Ian Ashbee - who has captained, and never looked out of his depth, in each of the leagues he and Hull have featured in.

Theo Walcott was largely ineffective as he was not allowed to run the lines like he has in the past, instead being forced to cut inside, where a waiting pack of defenders - led by Michael Turner - would block his path.

Brown admitted that he was told fielding Geovanni could be a suicidal tactic, but it proved to be match-winning one, and not for the first time as he secured the three points - from outside the box - against Fulham, too.

The only blemish on Hull's results so far has been a 5-0 mauling from Wigan Athletic, where a usually solid defence was ripped apart time after time from the imperious Antonio Valenica, who was afforded the freedom of the pitch.

Have Hull learnt from their Wigan mistakes, or will further teams embrass the Tigers and prove that the Arsenal game was a freak result?

This weekend Hull visit a side that are propping up the rest of the table with minimal potency in their attack and look as susceptible to conceding weak goals as they have done all year, is this result an away banker, or can Spurs use the tie to turn their own season around? Hull's other October fixtures include a visit of West Ham, followed by a trip to fellow former Championship contenders West Bromwich Albion, and then completed with a home Chelsea tie at the end of the month.

With a trip to Old Trafford, the Chelsea clash, together with games against Manchester City, Aston Villa, Portsmouth, and Liverpool still to come later in the year, a rotten run of results could easily mute the Tigers roar. In that event, could Hull pick themselves up in a similar fashion to the response after their Latic loss, or will they end up defenestating their chances of league survival after the best start out of all three of the newly-promoted teams.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hull just be Wendy's Tottenham 0-1 !!! At white heart lane.

They are a suprise package and Hotspurs are out of the CL race. boom biddy bye bye!

Keano - if you;re reading this, any chance to get a special bet on when Wendy will be fired?

41 - 60 of 111 Posts