Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cristiano Ronaldo may be adept at avoiding tackles but he didn't dodge anything when MUTV recently asked him about last summer's speculation. The Portuguese winger spoke openly and honestly about the situation, in response to Stewart Gardner's questions:

Very shortly after the Champions League final, there was massive speculation about your future. United fans were clearly concerned and worried about that. Looking back now, can you say what happened?
There's always speculation, not just about me, but about the future of players all around the world. People were speaking about me this summer but that was normal because of what I did during the season. What people are saying now (the recent speculation about an agreement with Real Madrid) is not true. Who says that is a liar because I am happy at the club, I want to stay here. I feel at home here. I feel very happy here.

Were you at all worried about how the fans might react after seeing all the stories over the summer?

To be honest, no, because I think the people don't forget quickly what you do for the club. When I arrived at the stadium, to play (my first game of this season) against Villarreal, I felt a little bit of pressure. But the fans were very good and this is why I feel the Manchester United supporters are amazing. I love the fans because they have been brilliant with me, not just this season but every season. Like I said before, I feel at home in Manchester.

Sir Alex went to see you in Lisbon this summer. How important was he and that meeting in the whole process?

The boss is always important for me, not just last season but every season. I am at this club because of him. He saw me in a few games before I played against Manchester United - people think I came here just because I played (well) against United but it's not true. He's always helped me and I said to him, “I want to be part of this club with you. I want to win trophies with you.†He's very important in my career, Sir Alex Ferguson.

You're only 23, you've achieved so much, and yet people say your peak will be at 27, 28 or 29. So what are you ambitions for the future?

Age is not important in football in my opinion. Experience yes, but you gain experience if you play and I have played many games at Manchester United with great players and I've won many things. This is why I think age is not important. The most difficult challenge now is to keep the same level as last year's. This is what I'm trying to do. I feel prepared for that. My ambition is still the same, my character is still the same and I know what I can do.

The full interview, Ronaldo's Year, was first shown on MUTV at 18:00 GMT on New Year's Eve. To subscribe, call 0870 848 6888 or go to www.manutd.com/joinmutv.

Ronaldo's Year will be repeated on MUTV at 18:00 GMT on New Year's Day, the first of two days when MUTV is free to Sky and Virgin customers.

MUTV Online subscribers can watch the interview from Friday 2 January (pm).

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
solskjaer99 said:
People were speaking about me this summer but that was normal because of what I did during the season. What people are saying now (the recent speculation about an agreement with Real Madrid) is not true. Who says that is a liar because I am happy at the club, I want to stay here. I feel at home here. I feel very happy here.

He's always helped me and I said to him, “I want to be part of this club with you. I want to win trophies with you.†He's very important in my career, Sir Alex Ferguson.
Its amazing what six month can do...:rolleyes:

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
well sounds like a fairly possitive interview and sounds like hes is faithfull to our club and wants to play for us....... i though am slightly doubtful.

i duno call me a cynic but i jus cant help thinkin hes lieing through his teeth i mean youd have to be plain stupid to tell a clubs own TV station that your looking on moving clubs in the future??

anyone see my point? it almost looks scripted as if its what 'we as fans' want to hear

·
23,699 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
well sounds like a fairly possitive interview and sounds like hes is faithfull to our club and wants to play for us....... i though am slightly doubtful.

i duno call me a cynic but i jus cant help thinkin hes lieing through his teeth i mean youd have to be plain stupid to tell a clubs own TV station that your looking on moving clubs in the future??

anyone see my point? it almost looks scripted as if its what 'we as fans' want to hear
I am with you on this mate. Can he say anything otherwise?!

I remain unmoved. Besides, the replies are pretty lengthy for him and a little suspicious of being scripted too.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
versa said:
I am with you on this mate. Can he say anything otherwise?!

I remain unmoved. Besides, the replies are pretty lengthy for him and a little suspicious of being scripted too.
yeah it will be scripted its common tv practice no matter the network or station when you have a 'sit down' interview like this one there will be a script and the person being interviewed WILL know his/her answers before hand
1- it saves time and money
2- everything goes smoothly and the person being questioned wont get pee'ed off

ive been learning bout all that stuff for a while now even interviews on the street are influenced by the person asking the questions and edited according to how they would like it to look, ive just made a documentry and i just told people what to say before we filmed

so this is what leads me to beleive that its scripted, although my hope is its scripted from ronaldo's words not just his PR man/woman

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Honestly, I think it's kosher....

Do I think those are his words? No, not at all. English isn't his primary language so it's been cleaned up to sound more fluent.

Are the ideas behind the words his? Yes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i really doubt he meant that. the only thing he could to ease the fans doubt is to sign a new contract with the same wages as the last contract and stop asking for a raise.

S

·
0 Posts
i feel at home here- Ronaldo!! :eek:

Bloody hell...they give coucil houses in Manchester to anyone it seems.
:p

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
If Rooney or Rio said the exact same words as Ronaldo did in an interview you would be saying how great and loyal they are.

But because it's Ronaldo, you're picking holes in it.

Viva ****ing ROnaldo.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
get off the lads back, Wait to the end of season and see what he says then but for now til the end of season support the guy. He is our player and wears the Man Utd badge on his chest and as long as he does I will support him. People remember what he did in the summer but what about the 2 seasons before that. Have you all forgotten.
Did you all hold it against Keane when he flirted with Juventus and was prepared to leave for free. At least Ronaldo said he would only go if it was a good deal for United.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Its a no win situation for him. He says he's happy and that he don't want to leave, but still there are going to be those that are cynical of his claims.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Berbatov9 said:
get off the lads back, Wait to the end of season and see what he says then but for now til the end of season support the guy. He is our player and wears the Man Utd badge on his chest and as long as he does I will support him. People remember what he did in the summer but what about the 2 seasons before that. Have you all forgotten.
Did you all hold it against Keane when he flirted with Juventus and was prepared to leave for free. At least Ronaldo said he would only go if it was a good deal for United.
It's not so simple. It's quite simply that, at this point in time, it will take more than words (excelent song, btw) to ease people's minds. I think, gradually, people are becoming more relieved about him and him staying put, but until he puts the pen to the paper, the next summer still looms over everyone minds...

After all, they've heard it all before. "I'm happy here, I want to stay", and then baam. Hollywood saga. So you can't really fault them for beeing suspicious.

On another note, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
It's not so simple. It's quite simply that, at this point in time, it will take more than words (excelent song, btw) to ease people's minds. I think, gradually, people are becoming more relieved about him and him staying put, but until he puts the pen to the paper, the next summer still looms over everyone minds...

After all, they've heard it all before. "I'm happy here, I want to stay", and then baam. Hollywood saga. So you can't really fault them for beeing suspicious.

On another note, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! ;)
He can't sign a contract til it's put on the table for him to sign. He wants a new contract but I don't hink it has been offered yet. Get behind the lad and make it hard for him to leave. No-one in the squad is capable of emulating him, not even Rooney and there doesn't really seem to be anyone available to replace him. We need the best at OT!!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Berbatov9 said:
He can't sign a contract til it's put on the table for him to sign. He wants a new contract but I don't hink it has been offered yet. Get behind the lad and make it hard for him to leave. No-one in the squad is capable of emulating him, not even Rooney and there doesn't really seem to be anyone available to replace him. We need the best at OT!!
You don't really know what has been offered to him or not...

I said a few months back, that I thought he'd stay one more year, and leave next summer, that that was the agreement he and SAF made to unlock that summer crisys. After that, I've also said I'm not sure anymore about that, so it is possible he'll stay. He has the advantage of beeing in a club and league he knows and is used to, while in madrid, he'd have an entirelly diferent thing.

Not to be byased or anything, but us latinos are a lot worse when it comes to passionate matters. We wear our hearts a lot closer to our minds ad mouths, and those Madrid guys are absolutely INSANE. If you think there's pressure to win at OT, wait till you see what it's like at the Barnabéu...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
personally I think he'll stay at least another 2 seasons. Maybe then I wouldn't feel as bad about him going either. I would actually wish him luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts