Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts on various threads (maybe I should take some time out, eh?) and some of you are taking the PL title somewhat nonchalantly. Don't you think? :mad:

While reaching the CL final is a tremendous milestone, it does not guarantee a win or any silverware. I have read that 'we should rest so and so', and 'we can win without them' for the WH and Wigan matches. Need I remind anyone that we have dropped points in three of our last four PL games, and anything less than 2 wins will almost surely see us lose the title.

Winning the CL final would be utterly fantastic, but it is over 2 weeks away.

I may be in the minority, but I believe the EPL title is just as important.

Could a mod move this to manutd chat? Thx. :)
 

·
Thank you Sir Alex
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Winning the premier league is important. But it should not be forgotten that in the clubs glorious history, United have only won the champions league two times. While winning the premier league is good, winning the champions league will have a bigger impact in terms of the club's worldwide popularity and merchandising. Besides we have to win two games to win the premier league, while winning just one game will bring the european crown to manchester. I'd gladly take the champions league for the premier league.
 

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
I am sure every Utd Fan here see's winning the Prem just as important as winning the Champions League. Unfortunately, We need to rest players who are not fully fit otherwise they could miss the final 2 games. Rooney and Vida are both struggling now and even though we are at a crucial stage of the season it would be a great option to play them both but we can't because they are not fit, simple. I don't see any reason why any other players should be rested though.

Also the we have won the Premier League alot now and I have a slight feeling that with only 1 cup win in the Champions League for Fergie he wouldn't mind that second CL cup a little bit more than the PL, that is the only reason he could rest a few players in the 2 remaining PL games.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
moondog said:
I have been reading posts on various threads (maybe I should take some time out, eh?) and some of you are taking the PL title somewhat nonchalantly. Don't you think? :mad:

While reaching the CL final is a tremendous milestone, it does not guarantee a win or any silverware. I have read that 'we should rest so and so', and 'we can win without them' for the WH and Wigan matches. Need I remind anyone that we have dropped points in three of our last four PL games, and anything less than 2 wins will almost surely see us lose the title.

Winning the CL final would be utterly fantastic, but it is over 2 weeks away.

I may be in the minority, but I believe the EPL title is just as important.

Could a mod move this to manutd chat? Thx. :)
Now moved. ;)

I agree with what you say as well.
Think it's just because of the CL result and the fact that
United are going to Moscow that everybody is still a bit
giddy about it and almost forgetting the 2 games we
have left.

WHU tomorrow is certainly not going to be as easy as
some might think and we cant afford to get complacent.
Wigan away wont be easy either.
Only takes one slip up to blow the whole seasons work.
We're going to need the best players and the team to
play as a team and put in 100% for both games.
Then concentrate on the CL Final.
.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
This thread is very true actually.

In an ideal world, I would like to win both. But we, as in the supporters AND team, need to focus on one match at a time. If we focus on the CL final while playing West Ham, we will slip up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Even though we've reached the final of the Champions league, my view hasn't changed. For me, the Premier League is, and always will be, more important than any cup competition. No matter how prestigious that cup competition may be.
There is no excuse to rest any players between now and the end of the season, unless they are carrying injuries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
BuchanIsCooler said:
Even though we've reached the final of the Champions league, my view hasn't changed. For me, the Premier League is, and always will be, more important than any cup competition. No matter how prestigious that cup competition may be.
There is no excuse to rest any players between now and the end of the season, unless they are carrying injuries.
For once Im agreeing with you ;)

The premiership is the bread and butter. We had a poll here recently,
and most members voted that the Prem is the trophy they want most.
Its over 38 games and the cream always rises to the top.

Winning the CL can come down to a bad decision or a mistake to swing it either
way. Of course every fan would love to win in Europe, especially on the
50th anniversary of the Munich disaster but the Prem is the real test.

but the fact of the matter is that the CL final is 10 days AFTER the Prem ends,
so there is no resting players for anything.

If they are fit enough to play then they WILL play against West Ham and Wigan.
As far as Im aware no one is taking them lightly. They are 2 of the most
important games in United's history in a way. Win those to games and we
are only 1 title away from their Liverpool's 18

Fergie is closing in on knocking them off their effin perch. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
For once Im agreeing with you ;)
Well there's a first time for everything! :D

Ideally, I'm sure we all want to win both. I always feel you need to win the title in your own country as well as winning the Champions League, before you can be considered the best team in Europe. Winning the CL on it's own doesn't prove anything IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
they will be focused. fergie has been there countless time and he will make sure his message is sent to the players so that the players realise they are 3 games and 3 wins away from something special, and every game is as important as another.
it is just normal for the fans to be excited by the prospect of an european final. our hearts maybe in moscow already, but i am pretty sure the players are not carried away. remember scholes, giggs, neville in the squad? they are old enough and been there long enough to have seen it all.
i am so excited and probably can only get more excited, but it does not mean that i dun care about the league games. i will always choose the premiership title over cl trophy!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
moondog said:

some of you are taking the PL title somewhat nonchalantly. Don't you think? :mad:


I may be in the minority, but I believe the EPL title is just as important.[/b]
You're right actually ... ;)

There must be a temptation to rest players like Carlos Tevez for this weekend's
game with West Ham.

But we need a full strength team ... anything less will be punished and Tevez
must play up front.

He scored a few crucial goals this season and another one today will be
appreciated Carlitos.

Tevez must have run a marathon on Tuesday night - but we NEED him at
lunchtime today !!!.

He scored for West Ham last season and kept them in the Premier League.

Will he do it again today, but the other way round ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
No your not a minority mate! We must field a very very strong side (million times stronger than the one that went to Stamford Brdige!!) in these last 3 games in the season and make sure we win 2 thropies.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
The CL Final is only held on the 21st May. I don't see why we need to be sooooo thattttttt cautious to rest players now?! Absolutely makes no sense at all.

Besides in recent games, we have been dropping points quite needlessly to be honest, either resting some players and/or playing not to lose that backfired on us embarrassingly. [Taking out Anderson after equalising against Chelsea and then not playing him against Barca at all still left me disillusioned and my imagination still running wild.] From an advantage of 5 points with 4 games to go, we now put ourselves under unnecessary pressure to win both of the last 2 games. I believe it was precisely this advantage we had that cause our recent slips.

So no more such nonsense please. No more easy and/or 'lazy' way out as we have lost whatever buffer anyway. Just focus on the next 2 PL games and play our strongest. There are no Cup matches in between to distract us now.

And please, for the umpteenth times, PLAY TO WIN!!
 

·
Stretford Ender
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Winning the premier league is important. But it should not be forgotten that in the clubs glorious history, United have only won the champions league two times. While winning the premier league is good, winning the champions league will have a bigger impact in terms of the club's worldwide popularity and merchandising. Besides we have to win two games to win the premier league, while winning just one game will bring the european crown to manchester. I'd gladly take the champions league for the premier league.
if we had that attitude in 99. we would have not be talking bout us being treble winners.

the most important game is the next one. Premier League is your bread and butter. CL is good but one dont replace the other.

Was you not gutted losing the FA Cup to Chelsea last season
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
moondog said:
I have been reading posts on various threads (maybe I should take some time out, eh?) and some of you are taking the PL title somewhat nonchalantly. Don't you think? :mad:

While reaching the CL final is a tremendous milestone, it does not guarantee a win or any silverware. I have read that 'we should rest so and so', and 'we can win without them' for the WH and Wigan matches. Need I remind anyone that we have dropped points in three of our last four PL games, and anything less than 2 wins will almost surely see us lose the title.

Winning the CL final would be utterly fantastic, but it is over 2 weeks away.

I may be in the minority, but I believe the EPL title is just as important.

Could a mod move this to manutd chat? Thx. :)
I'm with you on this. Even after the WH result today I'm still worried that Chelsea can bite us in the bum. The EPL is our bread and butter and to me is more important than the CPL because it's more of a test. Liverpool won the CPL but the real test is the EPL (where they always fail) . Any Cup competition is always secondary to a league competition because it's fought over a whole season proper. Can you imagine all those games down the drain at Wigan? Yuk!

Anyway , the two are linked really and not separate. If we lose the title it has a bearing on the CPL Final because of the momentum. The 1999 team gained momentum and belief from winning the title. I believe that if they hadn't pipped Arsenal that season then they would have lost in the Nou Camp as well. The same could be true of this team. If we go to Moscow as Champions then we can puff our chests out against Chelsea who will then feel they have to win to get anything from the season. United would feel that defeat could be softened by already having the title.

At top level sport the one thing that has more bearing than anything else is confidence and morale. This is why Wigan and Moscow are intimately linked together. Imagine cries of "Champions" at Moscow , wouldn't that be a 12th man? (incidentaly this is also why I worry about Wigan)

versa said:
The CL Final is only held on the 21st May. I don't see why we need to be sooooo thattttttt cautious to rest players now?! Absolutely makes no sense at all.

Besides in recent games, we have been dropping points quite needlessly to be honest, either resting some players and/or playing not to lose that backfired on us embarrassingly. [Taking out Anderson after equalising against Chelsea and then not playing him against Barca at all still left me disillusioned and my imagination still running wild.] From an advantage of 5 points with 4 games to go, we now put ourselves under unnecessary pressure to win both of the last 2 games. I believe it was precisely this advantage we had that cause our recent slips.

So no more such nonsense please. No more easy and/or 'lazy' way out as we have lost whatever buffer anyway. Just focus on the next 2 PL games and play our strongest. There are no Cup matches in between to distract us now.

And please, for the umpteenth times, PLAY TO WIN!!
You've read my mind again (I think). I'm convinced that if we had been chasing down chelsea then we would not have lost at the bridge or maybe drawn at Blackburn either. why? Because we would have been forced to get the result. If you look at what United do to teams when they really really have to score late on in games it really does make you wonder what would happen if they played with that same urgency from the start. It's almost as if the team knows that it has something in it's locker that it can pull out of things go wrong but....it is a VERY VERY dangerous game to play and quite arrogant and complacent too.

We should go all out against wigan next week and seek to try and kill them off early , I don't want to see United peppering the goal in the last 10 minutes in a desperate attempt to win it. I don't think this team quite has the ruthless self belief of other United teams. I used to think that the 99-01 team just wanted to crush their opponents sometimes.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top