Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to buy a forward.yes a forward!!! and sacrifice buying tevez to do so.

i think we still lack a striker in the mould of ruud or ole, a guy who will get into the six yard box and score the dirty goals a la Lineker, Shearer and Wright. we have a great selection of guys who have great ability, work hard, can go out wide, drop into the middle of the park and win a ball and play great passes - however we DO NOT have a guy that will hit the box consistently and score the tap -ins, headers and scrappy goals that certain strikers have always been noted for and since ruud and ole we have lacked this a lot.

tevez works all across the park more than any player in the team, rooney is the same and can play out towards one side or the other brilliantly and berba is great on the edge of the box, but how many times have i sat this season an seen a great move fall apart because we lack the RIGHT person in the RIGHT place.

berba played a great one two out wide to park on the edge of the box, park looks up to cross to the forward hitting the six yard box and No one IS THERE, this has happened consistently and on many occasions i look up as in years gone by for guy rubbibg his heart out to get in the box and get on the end of things and this now doesn't happen.

sadly to do this someone would have to be sacrificed and that guy would probably have to be tevez, the ebst worker this team has, but sadly if its a case of 30 mil on him or spending the money elsewhere to buy a type of player we are lacking then so be it.

with this type of forward in the team we would pose even a more greater threat we just need someone to be ruthless and put the ball in the net consistently and score all the scrappy or unspectacular chances we create. add this to the firepower we already possess and i think we would be an even more potent force.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tend to agree with this scottsati. I have always fancied having Rooney as a midfielder pulling the strings. Remember Schole was a striker when he started. That would free us up to have a genuine goal poacher. It might be a "what if" but is worth thinking about.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I tend to agree with this scottsati. I have always fancied having Rooney as a midfielder pulling the strings. Remember Schole was a striker when he started. That would free us up to have a genuine goal poacher. It might be a "what if" but is worth thinking about.
I have always facied that and thought he would do a great job he is made for the position , but his temperament is just a bit more than suspect , he would be sent off every week.
Fergie ought to giive it a try that way he could play tevez , berba and ronaldo in the same team.
I am a benzema fan and hope they get him in the summer , he was my original choice ahead of berbatov.
Benzema is young , quick and has a great eye for goal

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
I have always facied that and thought he would do a great job he is made for the position , but his temperament is just a bit more than suspect , he would be sent off every week.
Fergie ought to giive it a try that way he could play tevez , berba and ronaldo in the same team.
I am a benzema fan and hope they get him in the summer , he was my original choice ahead of berbatov.
Benzema is young , quick and has a great eye for goal
He's not leaving Lyon though(as much as I would love him to).

We do need an out-and-out striker. I was actually thinking the same thing regarding Rooney at the weekend. Why doesn't he play midfield? He's an excellent passer and decent in the tackle. Could be the bite we need this season alongside Carrick.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
He's not leaving Lyon though(as much as I would love him to).

We do need an out-and-out striker. I was actually thinking the same thing regarding Rooney at the weekend. Why doesn't he play midfield? He's an excellent passer and decent in the tackle. Could be the bite we need this season alongside Carrick.
would love to see it , but rooney would be in refs face all game he would have to curb the red mist first , then alongside carrick he would be great

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
would love to see it , but rooney would be in refs face all game he would have to curb the red mist first , then alongside carrick he would be great
That's for sure.

He would need to control his anger as dealing with the likes of Mikel, for every ball would send Rooney nuts. I doubt he'll be changed now anyway, well certainly not at this stage of the season. We really can't afford any more slip ups.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Who though?

A lot of people on this forum kept mentioning Huntelaar but now he's moved to Real Madrid there is no way we'll be able to sign him.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
While i agree having a another striker is a good idea, i can't help but think we became over reliant on ruud's goals and that we played a certain style to accomodate him, remember that it was when ruud left that we won the title with beautiful free flowing footballa nd goals came from everywhere. I'm not having a go at ruud though, i loved him and was deeply saddened when he left, i too wanted huntelaar ahead of Berbatov... I think that Fergie seems confident in giving Campbell and Welbeck a go, if they aren't good enough, then he'll consider another signing. I do worry that Tevez is very similar to Rooney and that we lack a different option from a third striker, i always remember that cole, yorke, sherringham and solskjaer with scholes behind them could score headers, tap-ins, volleys, screamers and link up really well and miss that, however, i think we'll never see a season like that again :(

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It looks like Rooney might become a centre mid... i dont think we'll be able to cope without Scholes when he is finished... Rooney could be the ideal replacement... I thought he was magnificent in the Fulham game (before being sent off) he was all over the pitch, ran the show... really changed the game and apart from the luck of the green he would have been our saviour!!

I still want to keep Tevez and allow Wellbeck come on... so I don't know do we really need another striker unless some1 like Aguero or Benzema became availabel and we simply couldn't say no!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
He only joined in January. He's played 11 times and started 7 and yet has scored 8 goals.

Maybe he was just taking time to adjust.
to be fair i do not pay too much attention to la liga , and the last i heard was he was really frustrated
every time i saw them play it was always raul up front on his own , still you do not spend that amount of money on a player and leave him out
If he has come good then fair play to him they spent good money on him

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If Tevez cant be got at a reasonable price then yes we could do with an out n out goal poacher. Lack of goals this year has been highlighted in previous threads.

Who though is the question...

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Do we have the money to buy someone like Aguero or Benzema is another thing? I would love either and I think we need one of them but it just might not be viable.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If another striker is signed during the summer it may not be a well known one.

Guillaume Hoarau has really lit up Ligue 1 this season with 15 goals so far. Also, he's scored a few in the UEFA Cup too. He's a big CF powerful and a good header of the ball, a bit like Drogba.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts