Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Just cause we are Irish, doesn't mean we should defend the clumsy donkey!
Am not Irish, yet i`m with Canto on this one. He`s not world class, isn`t a master of any position but at least he tries, his versatility is very useful and was proved in many cases. We do need someone like him, we`ve got many world class players in this squad, but players like O`Shea and Fletch gives you something solid to rely on when hit by many injuries. What`s more important, his head and mind are where they belong.

Just cause we are Irish, doesn't mean we should defend the clumsy donkey!
its not becuase he is Irish man its because of his versatility and his willingness to sit on the bench and not moan at it! he has been solid most game's this season he even banged in a goal :D!im a big fan of him and not just because he is Irish! he is a good pro and a decent player that can do a job across the back four and in the middle of the park!Players like him are vital to successful teams you cant have teams full of superstars you need your John O'Shea's and your Fletcher's

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I know he's decent. But we are a WORLD CLASS Club. I think we should be able to find players who are of a higher quality than him. TBH, I wouldn't mind signing Bassong or wigans Maynor Figueroa as a replacement!

Players like O`Shea made us world class. Having a squad filled with world class players does not lead you anywhere. Just look at ours, it has a bit of everything - experience, class, youngsters, starters. That`s what makes us special.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Players like O`Shea made us world class. Having a squad filled with world class players does not lead you anywhere. Just look at ours, it has a bit of everything - experience, class, youngsters, starters. That`s what makes us special.
Yes, but we could even be that little bit more special! ;)

We can't have a team built on superstars-they wouldn't take being on the bench week in week out. The players such as O'shea, Park etc that get grief really shouldn't. They are not superstars but they are solid players.
The reason being that they are decent players, most would walk into 90% Premiership starting lineups, and yet they wait until they are needed- and when they are needed they apply themselves as best they can. They do there job for their team, which is more than what some of the regular starters have done at times this season.

Just out of interest did everyone acknowledge how good O'Shea was away against inter?!(i wasn't on the few days after- but for me he was man of the match, and having watched the game on the TV, i still thought that)

Fletcher's more than a squad player. He's been our best midfielder this season.
Fletcher and Carrick for me:thumbsup:

Well then, this summer I would be turfing out 4 or 5 players, that I feel are serious under achievers and don't contribute to the club in the correct manner. Firstly... Gary Neville. Certainly a legend at this club and I have the height of respect for the man... But I think his performances this season have lacked awareness and quality and it is time to hang up his boots imo...

Secondly, I would sell off John O'Shea. We should probably get 4 or 5 million quid for the lad. Obviously, he has been a loyal servant to us, but I really think he is hampering other young players from developing, such as Fabio and Rafael...

Another player which I no longer want to see at the club is Park Ji Sung. I know I will get a lot of stick for saying this. But quite frankly, I find him by far the most frustrating player at the club. Yes, he tracks back, yes he always gives 100%, but no, he never shows us enough quality tbh...

I think Tevez will be let go...Whether or not he should be let go is another thing, as he has been just as good/bad as Berbatov this season, I believe...

And Finally, Kuszack. The PIG is just simply not good enough. His aerial ability is constantly exploited in every game he plays.

So, I think all these players(whether fan favourites for their hard work or not) should be let go and either be replaced internally with the likes of Eckersley, Rafael, Fabio, Macheda, Welbeck etc, if the they are good enough, or else bring in players who are...
Now, while I highly agree with what you say about the players
talent I think they all have a use.

Gary Neville is an exceptional influence on the rest of the team,
I was just reading an article about youngsters who get too big
for their boots (the article was about whether Macheda would or
wouldn't) and it concluded that, when surrounded by people like
Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville, it would be hard for
him to get ahead of himself. Also, Gary Neville has a contract
until 2010 I think so he'd be worth keeping as he is the 3rd best
RB at the club.

John O'Shea is another player who's highly rated and appreciated
by people that aren't me. I've never particularly liked him and I've
never celebrated when reading his name on the teamsheet but, we
live in a time and age where injuries are a routine and John O'Shea's
only redeeming feature (apart from his value as a cult figure, if you
want to consider that a redeeming feature) is his versatility, if Evra
gets injured tomorrow, with Fàbio already out, he'd play, if Gary Neville
gets injured tomorrow, with Rafael and Wes Brown already out, he'd
play and the list goes on. He's worth more to us than he is to anyone
else as I couldn't really see him performing for another team and who
would give us £4-5mil for him anyway? We paid 6mil for Evra for goodness
sake.

Park Ji-Sung is another cult figure who, while I've always liked him as
a person, has never really impressed me. He can, however, play on both
wings and, while I'm hardly part of the work ethic brigade, does put in
100% when given the chance. He's another player we wouldn't get much
for.

Tevez probably will be let go, rightfully so, people allowed themselves to
be conquered by his personality and ended up thinking he's a great player.

Kuszcak is an alright keeper in my eyes, I'd like to see more of Ben Foster
but, while other people are crying out for a striker and left winger, I'd rather
we buy a good 22-24 year old goalie, someone who will give us a good decade
of quality, if possible.

You can see from the way that Fergie and Neville interact that Gary is not just here for the football. He is a part of the club, a leader, an icon, and one of the foundations of our team. At no point would i dream of having him sent on his way. His involvement in the club goes deeper than what he does on the pitch IMO.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.