Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 League games to go, 3 of which are in the space of 6 days.

Sunday, 10 May 2009
Man Utd v Man City, 13:30

Wednesday, 13 May 2009
Wigan v Man Utd, 20:00

Saturday, 16 May 2009
Man Utd v Arsenal, 12:45

Sunday, 24 May 2009
Hull v Man Utd, 16:00

2 wins and a draw from the next 3 games (7 points) will see us win the league before the Hull game,
ensuring we get the maximum possible rest for our star players.

The CL final is 11 days after the Arsenal game and picking up the Prem on that day is of huge importance I think.
We will be able to rest players for the Hull game which is only 3 days before the big final in Rome.

Wednesday, 27 May 2009
Barcelona v Man Utd, F, 19:45

1.So will we win the league?
2.Will we win it before the Hull game?
3.How important do you think it is that we clinch it before the Hull Game?
regarding resting players etc...

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ya agreed Jazz, I was thinking about this last night actually and it is vital that we snatch before the Arsenal game and tbh I think we will only do that if Liverpool slip up at West Ham on Saturday (that being the only game I can see them losing). I can see us beating City on Sunday, but I think we will drop points away at Wigan and at home at Arsenal. So, that means we will have to beat Hull away unless Liverpool drop points at Upton park imo. Also, if we had it wrapped up, do yo think Fergie would put out a weakened side like he did in 06/07. I don't think so. I think, you would still be seeing some first team regulars playing regardless, as Hull will not be safe by that time regardless I think.

So, I am expecting it to go down to the last day and as to draw at Hull, clinching the league by a single point. I do sincerely hope we have it wrapped up by then, but who knowS?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1. I want to say we will win the league as the lead is too much and pool still have spurs to face who might spring a surprise....i see them winning their other matches....
but for us city and arsenal will be tough...im not saying we will not win the league...its gonna be a tough road and we have to hope that we can win the three matches except arsenal....as arsenal have nothing to lose and we have everything to lose they will play all out and try to make up for the semi....city....its a derby..enough said...

2. we have a high chance of doing so...but i dont think thats gonna happen...im saying we lose against arsenal....but we will win the league for sure....just not before hull...hope im proved wrong..

3. it is very very important to win it before the hull game....we can put out a complete reserve team and that will give enough rest.....that means we can go out fresh against barca....but it will be tough

just hope that liverpool slip up so that it will be easier...:)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
4 League games to go, 3 of which are in the space of 6 days.

Sunday, 10 May 2009
Man Utd v Man City, 13:30

Wednesday, 13 May 2009
Wigan v Man Utd, 20:00

Saturday, 16 May 2009
Man Utd v Arsenal, 12:45

Sunday, 24 May 2009
Hull v Man Utd, 16:00

2 wins and a draw from the next 3 games (7 points) will see us win the league before the Hull game,
ensuring we get the maximum possible rest for our star players.

The CL final is 11 days after the Arsenal game and picking up the Prem on that day is of huge importance I think.
We will be able to rest players for the Hull game which is only 3 days before the big final in Rome.

Wednesday, 27 May 2009
Barcelona v Man Utd, F, 19:45

We will win the title in the game against Arsenal!

the Hull game is an away game and Fergie will rest Evra, Rooney, Carrick, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Ferdinand and Ronaldo.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'd like to think we can beat City this weekend, then probably grind out the victory to Wigan with a couple of people rested, then all we should need is a point out of the Arsenal game and we're home and dry. I think all the Champions League starting 11 would be rested for the Hull game if both us and them have nothing to play for. If Hull are still involved in a relagation fight we might play a couple of big players, so we don't anger the other teams in the fight

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, if we had it wrapped up, do yo think Fergie would put out a weakened side like he did in 06/07. I don't think so. I think, you would still be seeing some first team regulars playing regardless, as Hull will not be safe by that time regardless I think.
In 06/07 we werent in a Champions League final.
Fergie has the right to rest who he wants, even if that effects other teams.
Either way, we should really beat Hull with our 2nd team.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
In 06/07 we werent in a Champions League final.
Either way, we should really beat Hull with our 2nd team.
Agree, considering we have the biggest match in the footballing calander 3 days later, and Barcelona will have been resting players, I'm sure we would too.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree, considering we have the biggest match in the footballing calander 3 days later, and Barcelona will have been resting players, I'm sure we would too.
That's why its important we win it before the Hull game.
Barca will have La Liga wrapped up and they will be playing their 'B' team so their players will be fresh and as ready as they can be. I dont want to see us having to play Rio, Evra, Rooney and Ronaldo for example in a must win game just 3 days before the final. We also have to travel from Hull to Manchester and then to Rome. That wont be great for the players either.

·
23,699 Posts
1. It is out of Liverpool's hands and if they are indeed (still) hopeful for a miracle to overhaul us, it must be ours to throw it away. Barring anything unthinkable, we should equal their record and deny their almost-2-decade-old bragging rights. How sweet for us and painful for them. Besides, I still doubt they can win all their remaining games, especially if we keep chalking up points along the way. With them being already 3 points behind and having played one more game, the psychological pressure would only increase exponentially as the number of games dwindle. I thus remain hopeful that we can wrap up the title sooner than later.

2. Very plausible. But it is absolutely vital to win both our home games, meaning we should play our strongest against Citeh and Arsenal while we can afford to 'relax' a little with some suitable changes for the away. Thankfully they are perfectly staggered with the away games to Wigan and Hull so there is a little fortune here for us.

3. I think it would be most helpful of course to clinch it before the Hull game, not just giving our First XI proper recuperation but also to start focusing the mind on the big record-breaking night in Rome. But I don't think it is that critical since it is Hull and not Citeh or Arsenal. I am more concerned with unwanted injuries.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
1) Yes, we will win the League.

2) I think we will win it before the Hull game. I think we'll beat City and Wigan, and not lose to Arsenal so I think the title will be sealed before that game.

3) I think it's very important that we win it before the Hull game. Barca are well clear at the top of La Liga, so they will have the chance to rest players in the run up to the final. We need our players to be fresh anyway, but the Barca players also being fresh means it's more important. Also, it's obviously about avoiding injuries as well as being as fresh as we can.

If we go into the last game with the title NOT won, Hull could be going into the game with a chance of going down so they'll raise their game and it will be a very tricky game. This will take even more out of the players.

This is really a sidenote, but other players/managers attitudes about how you should play a strong team to uphold the integrity of the League or whatever the reason they give seriously annoys me. In football, you've got to look after yourself and your own team, and they should be able to do their own jobs instead of relying on other teams.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.