Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some players, who really have bad luck with injuries and since i am supremely bored, I will actually attempt to track them.

Dean Ashton:
Sep 26th 2009 - Out for a month with an ankle injury

Obafemi Martins:
Sep 26th 2009 - Out for 6 weeks with an knee injury

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ashton hit by ankle surgery blow

West Ham have suffered a blow with striker Dean Ashton being ruled out for a month following confirmation he requires an ankle operation.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4196415,00.html

The England forward will go under the knife next week and early indications are that he could be out until the end of October.

That would make Ashton unavailable for five Premier League fixtures - starting at Fulham on Saturday - and England's World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus.

The Hammers said: "Dean Ashton will undergo arthroscopic surgery to his left ankle next week to help assess the extent of his injury."

Ashton has already had to sit out last weekend's 3-1 Premier League win over Newcastle and the midweek Carling Cup defeat at Watford since suffering the original injury in training.

News of the surgery will be a blow for new West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola, who is yet to see Ashton play, but the setback could be eased slightly on Friday if Craig Bellamy proves he has recovered from a groin injury in time to play against Fulham.

The Welsh striker has made just one appearance this season, scoring off the bench in the 4-1 home win against Blackburn.

Bellamy would slot neatly into the 4-3-3 formation Zola employed with such success against Newcastle last weekend, when new Italian striker David di Michele scored twice.

Carlton Cole impressed Zola with his performance as the lone striker in that line-up and he could also return after missing the Watford defeat with a slight ankle injury.

Zola will make his call on Friday - and insists the decision will be based solely on Cole's fitness.

The former England Under-21 striker is to be fined for a breach of club discipline after he was stopped by police while driving his Audi Q7 through at 4.25am.

Cole was given a roadside breath test and taken to a nearby police station, where he was later bailed to return in mid-November.

Zola said he was "very disappointed" Cole had been out so late but confident his former Chelsea team-mate had learned his lesson.

"I spoke to him and he is very sorry at being out at such a time," said Zola. "He wasn't drunk, which was a very good thing. He has just been out late in the night. He will be fined, he knows that.

"We are going to deal with it but the player understood 100% that he made a mistake. He is ready to take the fine the club is going to give him."

Zola has been impressed by Cole's development, both as a player and a person, since he last knew him at Stamford Bridge.

Last weekend, Zola suggested Cole had the potential to play for England - and he does not want to see that chance go to waste.

"I am disappointed with him but that doesn't take away all the chances that he has got," said Zola.

"He knows that he can't do this kind of thing, especially if he wants to achieve high levels. If he wants to play for the national team he can't afford to do things like that.

"He has realised and he is very sorry for that."

Crocked Martins adds to Magpies woes

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4197051,00.html

Obafemi Martins has handed struggling Newcastle another blow after suffering a knee injury which is expected to sideline him for six weeks.

The Nigeria striker is expected to be out of action until early November after picking up the problem in Wednesday's Carling Cup defeat to Tottenham.

Martins, who returned from injury to face Spurs, is unsure when he will be able to return to action for the troubled Magpies.

"My right knee is very swollen, so much so that I can't contemplate how long I will be out for," Martins told The Sun.

Swelling"The swelling only started on Thursday morning. I didn't feel anything after the game. I just woke up and saw how terrible and bad it looked.

"I have been told by the doctors here that I could be out for another six weeks, but when they said 'could' - you know it's bad.

"I want to play a part in helping the club at this difficult moment. I feel so down."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts