Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading a post in the Glasgow Rangers threat i started thinking. (i know i know!!)

anyway its a simple question but i can give a simple answer.

would you rather united played free flowing attacking football for the next 5 years but won nothing (go out quarters and semis of major tournaments and just miss out on the premiership every season)

OR

would you rather united play boring, slow defensive football winning games 1-0 and struggling to break down a defence of any level properly..BUT winning trophies regularly every season?....

everytime i think about it i change my mind....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
You may as well ask 'Would you prefer to support Arsenal or Chelsea?' :D

United are one of the few teams in World football that combine free flowing attacking football and winning trophies. However, Fergie has learnt that in Europe we must play 'boring, defensive football' if we are to be successful.

I love watching free flowing attacking football but if there are no trophies at the end of it then frustration grows, players move on and you become like Arsenal - pretty to watch but little end product.

I'd prefer winning trophies over beautiful football - at least until we've surpassed Liverpool's records in all competitions ;)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
reddwarf said:
In that case Arsenal, between those two.;) I stick to my firm belief that regardless of what's changed football is first and foremost a GAME. The purpose of a game is to entertain and make people have fun whether your watching or playing. The only thing that's really changed football is that these days it's a CAREER not a game. When players step out onto the pitch their going to work ad when they step out onto a champions league final they are gunning for a massive promotion. How can you truly relax and have fun under those circumstances? To get back to my point I'd rather be entertained even if it means less trophies. Although within reason. I'd like to win at least some of the time.:p

·
23,699 Posts
reddwarf said:
Very tough call.

If we choose the Chelsea way, we will be bitched about by everybody else even if we win honours season after season.

If we choose the Arsenal way, we will be laughed at by everybody else even if we entertain fans game after game.

Hm.....

Somewhere in between... like now.... status quo?! :eek: :D

·
Banned
198 Posts
versatility is the key for a successful club today. stylish and mockery making against 7-14, teams 1-6 and the 15-20 we'll scrap against. then we have your Romas your Arsenal's etc who all get spanked 4-5 nil the stylish and effective way.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i would rather win trophies i think....we are a successful team and we should continue our success......there are lots of teams who play boring fotball and win(chelsea :rolleyes:)
but playing beautiful football is good too......

·
Registered
18 Posts
dlan4327 said:
To get back to my point I'd rather be entertained even if it means less trophies. Although within reason. I'd like to win at least some of the time.:p
Agreed.

Football is supposed to be an entertainment. United in particular, have a duty to produce entertaining football. It's part of the history and heritage of the club. Other clubs fans may settle for victory over entertaining football. This should never be the case in United's instance.

Some people say "winning is everything".

It isn't.

"Winning with style" is!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i would very much rather utd play free flowing attacking football and win nothing than be boring and picking up trophies.
if your not going to get entertained when watching football then its pointless watching it life is too precious to waste,the perfect example being chelsea or arsenal over the last 3 years who has played the football, ok arsenal have not won anything but they have entertained all football fans while chelsea have bored the whole country yet are victorious.while i pay to watch football i want to be entertained in every game ,then i go home happy whatever the result.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Im not being personal, but have you lot been watching the same football team as me, united have scored the most goals this season & have had the best defence, totally denied a spot in this years F.A. Cup Final, On the brink of retaining the title & in this years Champions League Final, Everybody is entitled to there own opinions but some have you are forgetting about the statistics

Then we have the best magician in our side who has razzled & dazzled us all this season leaving all the other opponents quaking in there boot's

I goes to every home & away game watching my beloved united & my opinion is i have hardly been dissapointed going off this years overall performances

Manchester United 2007/08 Statistics

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dynamite said:
Im not being personal, but have you lot been watching the same football team as me, united have scored the most goals this season & have had the best defence, totally denied a spot in this years F.A. Cup Final, On the brink of retaining the title & in this years Champions League Final, Everybody is entitled to there own opinions but some have you are forgetting about the statistics

Then we have the best magician in our side who has razzled & dazzled us all this season leaving all the other opponents quaking in there boot's

I goes to every home & away game watching my beloved united & my opinion is i have hardly been dissapointed going off this years overall performances
I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I don't think anyone has been critical of United's performances this season in this thread.

Burnzy is just asking if you'd rather see us play great football and win nothing, or play boring football and win trophies.:D

·
Banned
503 Posts
BuchanIsCooler said:
I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I don't think anyone has been critical of United's performances this season in this thread.

Burnzy is just asking if you'd rather see us play great football and win nothing, or play boring football and win trophies.:D
Honestley mate i have not & im not being too personal, i dont see man utd playing boring football at all despite wot has already been posted, i see us as entertaining all the time, when were not playing attacking football, we surely put on a great display of great defensive football, im sorry if you have heard me wrong :p

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Because United play exciting, free-flowing football and win trophies, I don't know what answer I would pick :p

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
burnzy1987 said:
after reading a post in the Glasgow Rangers threat i started thinking. (i know i know!!)

anyway its a simple question but i can give a simple answer.

would you rather united played free flowing attacking football for the next 5 years but won nothing (go out quarters and semis of major tournaments and just miss out on the premiership every season)

OR

would you rather united play boring, slow defensive football winning games 1-0 and struggling to break down a defence of any level properly..BUT winning trophies regularly every season?....

everytime i think about it i change my mind....

The answer to this is simple free flowing football Id hate to pay and watch a team like chelsea whatever trophys are won

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Hmm.......very very tough one!

TBH, I'd hate to be one of those constant hard luck stories and trophy's show
how successfull you are.

Look at Arsenal, being honest, they played some breath-taking football this
season and really should have beaten us at Old Trafford. And what are they
going to get for their efforts? Nothing.......

Its so unbelievably hard, but simply want to see the team successfull and if that
means win ugly, then so be it.

If we ground out results all season (Be like Chelsea in other words), and then
won the league, we'd be just as happy! Win = Win no matter how good or bad
you play.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say play boring, yet.....hmm.........yea,
trophies! :eek: (But we do play good football, just not 4/5 nil wins and
outstanding goals all year.......ye?)

However, thank God we'll never have to consider that, at least not for a good few
more years! Good question with so many aspects, and yeah, I'm like you mate,
each time I think about it I change my mind! :eek:......anyways! We do play attractice
football and we do win trophies!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Dynamite said:
Honestley mate i have not & im not being too personal, i dont see man utd playing boring football at all despite wot has already been posted, i see us as entertaining all the time, when were not playing attacking football, we surely put on a great display of great defensive football, im sorry if you have heard me wrong :p

dynamite nobodies having a go at utd ,its just a simple question would you rather support a boring successful team or a very entertaining team that wins nothing.
if utd won nothing but were entertaining {as they are} i would still be happy,but if they were constantly boring and winning things the style of football would seriously put me off watching them.
luckily utd have always played entertaining football over the length of the season ,all teams play the odd negative game but some are happy to just score 1 goal a game and then defend the lead ,thats really negative and as chelsea proved you can win the league this way {very very boring}.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Obviously playing attacking beautiful football is what we want to see.
Thats the way United have always played the game and long may it continue.
But if it is to the detriment of collecting trophies then playing uglier is what
we would need to do. Id rather win trohies first and foremost.
Luckily we support United and we get the best of both worlds :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Difficult to say but id have to go with 'winning the trophies from playing boringly'
Football needs to be entertaining but at the end of the day i wouldnt want to watch united playing exciting/entertaining football but not winning anything coz they are playing to win trophies and that is the aim - if the players were just there to entertain and nothing else there would be no way to state how world class we are and how many trophies we have won due to our success :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
reddwarf said:
You may as well ask 'Would you prefer to support Arsenal or Chelsea?
Spot on Reddwarf!

This is just hypothetical but Im convinced after a few years we all would be happy to be Chelsea because everyone loves a winner and when you win after a while you dont care if its pretty or not. You just accept the boring trencher style of football. :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts