Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
burnzy1987 said:
after reading a post in the Glasgow Rangers threat i started thinking. (i know i know!!)

anyway its a simple question but i can give a simple answer.

would you rather united played free flowing attacking football for the next 5 years but won nothing (go out quarters and semis of major tournaments and just miss out on the premiership every season)

OR

would you rather united play boring, slow defensive football winning games 1-0 and struggling to break down a defence of any level properly..BUT winning trophies regularly every season?....

everytime i think about it i change my mind....
I think if it was really a choice between attacking flowing football and successful football then I would stop bothering with the darn game. Thankfully , attacking football is ultimately more successful than boring negative football in most cases.

The way football is structured means that it always favours the team that spends the most time in the opposition box. My belief is that the facts bear this out. Some teams can succeed by playing on the break all the time and defending deep but not many.

United as a club have always bought flair players with attacking intent. Therefore we don't exactly have much choice other than to do what these players do best. As a side note I don't think Chelsea are that boring . They are cagey and rely on defense and power , but they are not boring boring arsenal exactly. However , their tendency to not kill games off and get the second goal has cost them draws and goal difference which we all hope will cost them the league.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Obviously playing attacking beautiful football is what we want to see.
Thats the way United have always played the game and long may it continue.
But if it is to the detriment of collecting trophies then playing uglier is what
we would need to do. Id rather win trohies first and foremost.
Luckily we support United and we get the best of both worlds :)

hi jazz ,what attracted you to utd in the first place was it because this team wins trophies or the fact that you got one hell of a buzz while watching them {this is called entertainment}.when i started to follow utd {mid 70's} they were nowhere near a successful team yet i can still recall the excitment of watching that team even today,i honestly don't think i would remember a boring team ,for some of the younger guys on here its not all about winning its the style you do it in that creates all the wonderful memories in your later years and fergie has created some great ones so far long may it last.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
sweet fa said:
hi jazz ,what attracted you to utd in the first place was it because this team wins trophies or the fact that you got one hell of a buzz while watching them {this is called entertainment}.when i started to follow utd {mid 70's} they were nowhere near a successful team yet i can still recall the excitment of watching that team even today,i honestly don't think i would remember a boring team ,for some of the younger guys on here its not all about winning its the style you do it in that creates all the wonderful memories in your later years and fergie has created some great ones so far long may it last.
Hi Sweet fa. I was initially attracted because of the big Irish influence in the
team of the time (Moran, McGrath, Stapleton)- the first 2 were heroes of mine
since the early 80's. Players like Robson also helped as well ;)
You make a good point about the memories that are made and the emotions
they help evoke. We are lucky to support such an exciting team that is
drenched with a wonderful and glorious history.

The thread started out talking about the type of anti-football that Rangers play.
Its not pretty to watch but fair play to them for getting this far (and Im a
Celtic fan saying that). They play within their capabilities and are entitled to do
so. If they played expansive, exciting football then they would not be in the final.

My point and initial post was mainly based around the events that will take
place in Moscow. I couldnt care less how we win the cup as long as we win it.
Obviously I dont take this attitude into every game, but this is a one off, a massive
final against our rivals Chelsea.....so if it means we play 4-5-1 (which is NOT
the United way) and end up winning so be it.
For this game alone, its ALL about winning.

erm, I think this answers your question. Sorry for the waffle :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Manchester United way to do things, is to play beautiful attractive football that produces sucess. We all love to see United win trophies playing quality football, but sometimes this is not always possible.

As much as I love watching fantastic football, the most important thing to the club is not how well they play, but the result of the game after 90 minutes. If you look at the early part of this season we beat Everton, Sunderland, Birmingham etc. all 1-0 in scrappy games. And compare that to games like Blackburn when we battered them, yet only managed to get a draw out of the game.

As much as I love and respect the traditions of MUFC, I think that sucess on and off the pictch is bought along by winning matches. If they can be won by playing free flowing football, all the better. But if not, then I would rather win ugly than not win a t all.

Nice topic by the way, I'm sure it will get a few people scratching their heads :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.