Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying on from a discussion in this thread>http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/international-football/20663-england-rooney-fantastic.html (post 19)

I feel that the World Cup in 2010 can be won by any one of a dozen or so teams.
International football is in decline and the best teams are not the force they once were.
The gap between the top and middle teams is smaller now than ever before.

Take the Top 12 ranked Fifa teams for example.

1.Spain-class team.
2.Germany-not the team they once were, though you can never count them out.
3.Holland-One of the better teams in recent years. Up and coming. 2010 could be their time.
4.Italy-In decline. Not half the team they were when they won the 06 WC.
5.Brazil-Been shocking recently. Very poor.
6.Argentina-Got thumped 6-1 by Bolivia tonight. Not the team they once were.
7.Croatia-Bilic has a decent enough side but they are beatable.
8.Russia-Hiddink has a solid outfit but again they are beatable.
9.England-On the up but do they have the strikers?
10.Portugal-In serious decline since Carlos took over. Might not even make the finals.
11.Turkey-Punching above their weight.
12. France-Lost many of their best players. Not the force they were.

My point is that anyone can win the next World Cup. Apart from Spain who are the best team, no other team would on that list would strike fear into you and they can be beaten by anyone on their day.

few questions:

1.Do you think international football is weaker these days? and why?

2.Who do you think will win the WC?

3.Do you think England can win the WC?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
1. Because, particulary in England, less clubs are using acadamies to produce young kids on a mass production, which used to happen. You get one or two good kids coming through in England a season, one great one every 5 years (the last one Wayne Rooney).

2. Spain should piss it to be honest.

3. They can. Capello seems to be playing good football, and if Rooney can stay fit and not get sent off then they have a good chance. They'll **** up to holland and co mind.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Spain are the best team - club or country - in the world currently, I think they will win the World Cup unless something goes monumentally wrong. I think England will probably go to the semi finals, I wouldn't expect a final position though I think thats asking a lot of a team with no proper center forward. I'm sure the Dutch will play brilliantly and eventually fall out with each other and mess it up. The Italian team has become very slow and predictable with very little flair or imagination. France on paper have a good team, whether they can start performing to a good standard remains to be seen but I wouldn't rule them out. Portugal will struggle. The Germans will always be up their, they may not have the brilliant players of the past but they will always be consistent, determined, and efficient. Brazil have been shocking under Dunga but they always have the capacity to turn on the flair in the big World Cup atmosphere and only a crazy person would rule them out. Argentina had a shocker tonight but they could quite easily turn on the style at any time, plus they have Messi so anything is possible really! They are the only teams worth mentioning really.

Predictions:

-Spain to win next World Cup and complete the big international double (like France did in '98 &2000)
-Capello to carry England to very respactable position

-England to host and win the 2018 World Cup

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Take the Top 12 ranked Fifa teams for example.

1.Spain-class team.

Definately.

2.Germany-not the team they once were, though you can never count them out.

Won't win it. They will do well though. Stick a bunch of bin men on a football pitch, give them a Germany shirt and they'll give a proffesional team a good game.

3.Holland-One of the better teams in recent years. Up and coming. 2010 could be their time.

Won't win. Expect them to play the best football around but have one bad game whcih will cost them

4.Italy-In decline. Not half the team they were when they won the 06 WC.

Won't win.

5.Brazil-Been shocking recently. Very poor.

Would be suprised if they make it beyond the 1/4 finals.

6.Argentina-Got thumped 6-1 by Bolivia tonight. Not the team they once were.

In attack - Best in the world. No one comes close.
In defence - Probably the worst of all the seeded teams.

Could win though, it all depends on there defence.

7.Croatia-Bilic has a decent enough side but they are beatable.

Won't win.

8.Russia-Hiddink has a solid outfit but again they are beatable.

Won't win

9.England-On the up but do they have the strikers?

Rooney and Heskey. Heskey isn't that good but he brings the best out of every partner he has ever had for club and country.

Depending on the draw, could do very well. Aslong as we don't face a team that we just can't get the ball off like Spain.

10.Portugal-In serious decline since Carlos took over. Might not even make the finals.

Overated team. Take Ronaldo, Deco and Calvalho out of the team and its average.

11.Turkey-Punching above their weight.

No

12. France-Lost many of their best players. Not the force they were.

No

few questions:

Yes. The main nations like Brazil, Italy and France are poor.

Spain

Yes. But we'll need a bit of luck in the draws. Aslong as we don't face more technical teams. Cappello is arguably the best tactician in the game.
The World Cup is there to win. Spain, England, Argentina and Germany will make the semis. Thats my prediction.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It depends on which teams you are talking about. In most cases, players may under perform because of the busy schedule they have, and let`s not hide the fact that some give their club more importance than their national. Let`s not mention who, and how and why. I think the passion for your national team has decreased entirely in some countries, and increased in others too. Its all about the expectations of the fans really, and i do understand their frustration at times but supporting your own country is a must in my opinion.
Spain, Germany, England, Holland - they look better than ever.
Italy, Brazil, Argentina - I think its fair to say that with their quality they can do a bit better.

Apart from that, i think money is a big problem in this as they are being distributed in the countries that has the most watched, better class football which i can entirely understand. But what about other countries, such as Malta ? We could improve a lot with those money, as our yearly budget is not enough to improve our quality and attract more Maltese people into our own, local product football instead of focusing only on international footie.
So, i`m saying all this to come out with one single point .. That its nearly always the same big teams in such big competitions, its fair to say that Malta can do much better but trying to help such countries financially will help .. a lot. It`s all about money these days, something which is making football weaker day by day.

I don`t have a definite opinion about this to be honest, but i`ve got some teams in mind that can do very well - England, Holland, Germany and Spain .. and maybe, just maybe .. Russia can make it too an advanced stage too. Just a personal feeling that is tho.

We`ve got what it takes to win it all. Capello is doing everything right at the moment, when it seemed like our glory years were nowhere to be seen 2 years ago or so, Capello stepped up to take this team under his control .. and he has done magic. All he wanted to do was to work out the compatibility of our players, which as easy as it sounds, our previous managers failed to do. There is class in the squad - Stevie, Becks, Roo, Rio, Carrick, JT, J.Cole ..They`re all players who give their all with their clubs, and although there were times when we doubted their commitment with England, i feel those days are over under Capello. We`ll see .. i`m confident as i know the ability those players possess. But other teams have the same chance as we have got, we can never take any opponent for granted. I always say the same thing in similar situations - Play each game as if it was a final, give it your all .. and we`ll hopefully get there for the second time :thumbsup:

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
It really depends on the country, you have teams like brazil for example who dont seem to have the same style and winning mentality they used to have. Also alot has to do with the fact that the best players on the top national sides play in the top leagues in the world, where a fight for a starting place is more competed nowadays with all the money involved. Thats why I think that a lot of these players really go out and take care of their bodies for their club side and dont really give their best when playing for their national team.
I would put my money on spain, no doubt, although argentina will always cause problems with their world class attack, england seem to have that confidence that they lacked in the past, and germany Italy and France have extremely talented and deep squads that with a bit of luck can cause problems. Brazil seem to have one of the worst squads they have ever had, but you can never count them out. Ultimately though, I think it will come down to luck for a lot of these teams, loss of form at the wrong time, injuries can cause elimination, while getting hot at the right time a weak draw etc, can cause a team to make a real run. Still the previously mentioned are the only ones I can really see having a believable chance to lift the trophy.
Like I said, with the right amount of luck England can definitely take the wc, obviously they have the squad, the manager but I still dont see them being as dominant as spain, but I would definitely not count them out.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Think Spain will win it they have two of the best strikers in the world in Torres and David Villa. There midfield speaks for itself. The defence is there weak point.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Here's my two cents.

1.Spain- Probably favourites. No arguments. However 1 EURO title doesn't undo years of underachievement.
2.Germany- Their form in Qualifying is irrelevant. They are an amazing Cup side. They'll be up there.
3.Holland- Like Spain. On paper they're perfect. On the pitch they don't back it up. Will do well but not spectacular.
4.Italy- Old coach. Old players. However they are Italy so you never count them out.
5.Brazil- There players will carry them. However Dunga is a bad coach.
6.Argentina- Fatter to deceive. Like Spain/Holland. Great players but they just can't jump the last hurdle.
7.Croatia- Decent side. Not a winning side though.
8.Russia- Could be the surprise package.
9.England- In with a chance. With Capello I genuinely believe but I'm not over confidant.
10.Portugal- With Quieroz no chance.
11.Turkey- Alongside Russia dark horses. Great team & underrated players.
12. France- Reliant on Ribery. A winger can't influence every game. Gorcuff has great potential but is young.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
1. International football isn't weaker, its just taken less seriously than it used to be. Which is a shame. A lot of teams forget to play as a cohesive unit, and pretty much just go the Galactico route. The Netherlands are a great example, they're superstars are complimented by guys like Engelaar, and they play some orgasmic stuff.

2. After the 06 World Cup, I said Spain would get it done at the EUROs and the World Cup, and I'll keep saying that unless someone gets gravely injured or something like that. If Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan and Carlos Bocanegra all have big tournaments, with everyone else performing normally, the USA should get to at least the quarters again.

3. If they had a healthy Michael Owen AND Wayne Rooney, then yes. I suspect Owen won't even be included in the squad.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Spain, Brazil or England will win the WC. Look at some of the teams in the first post. Shocking.
Argentina and Portugal probably won't even make it there and the likes of France, Italy and Croatia are no great shakes. I think it's going to be wide open. I'll be putting a few bob on England though, to soften the blow ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
1.Spain - beat England easily and look unbeatable at times...but USA proved they can be
2.Germany- the only team that doesn't have to win games to win the World Cup, they could draw every knock out game and still win it after 4 penalty shoot-outs :rolleyes:
3.Holland- attacking wise they look very, very impressive but I don't think they are good enough defensively to win the World Cup
4.Italy- they'll put in a decent defence of their title but I doubt they can retain it
5.Brazil- 1st South American team to qualify, easily beat Argentina and Chile, a threat as always
6.Argentina- I'm hoping they won't even be there!
7.Croatia- no one will fear them after being torn apart twice by England in qualifying, may not even reach the World Cup if Ukraine can snatch 2nd
8.Russia-Hiddink has a solid outfit but again they are beatable (just copied Jazz :D)
9.England- we won't win it. We're a quarter-final team. Anything better than that is a bonus.
10.Portugal- have an outside chance of reaching the World Cup after beating Hungary but can Ronaldo win it on his own?
11.Turkey- 2nd round at best
12. France- may not even be in the World Cup as they'll have to win in the playoff. Although they beat England in a friendly and have some class players they don't strike me as potential World champions.

Anyone can win the next World Cup. Apart from Scotland :whistling:

Like piazza said, not weaker just less people are interested as club football is now so important to people.

Should be Spain but Brazil and Germany will definitely reach the latter stages. Holland as an outside bet.

No, I think semi-finals at best but probably get knocked out in the quarters. We've looked average at times, especially in friendlies against Spain, France and Holland. Just because we've hammered a decent Croatia side does not make us World beaters. I've lived through too many false dawns to believe the hype. If you look at the last 5 World Cups we've qualified for we've reached the quarters, semis, 2nd rnd, quarters & quarters. We are a last 8 side.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
1.Spain - The favourites, easily. Their squad is amazing. They can bring players like Fabregas and Raul on as subs.
2.Germany - Don't see them going too far.
3.Holland - I look at Holland as the Arsenal of this competition. Play some good football, have talented players, a good coach, but just don't have that something special to push them all the way.
4.Italy - Quite an ageing squad. Don't see them retaining.
5.Brazil - Behind Spain as favourites.
6.Argentina - Slim chance. They don't look too special in qualifying. Good squad but probably the wrong manager. One who has zero experience.
7.Croatia - Doubtful.
8.Russia - Hiddink is a great manager and he's worked wonders there already. Who knows how far they could go. Perhaps the widcard this WC.
9.England - Taking Spain and Brazil out of the equation we have a huge chance.
10.Portugal - Probably won't even make it. If they do, they'll probably knock us out on penalties en route to the final.
11.Turkey - Limited knowledge of Turkey.
12. France - Ribery, Benzema, Gourcuff, Nasri... some great young players. SHOULD do well, but with France you never know.

few questions:

-Not really. I mean, qualification is boring, and for the most part, a foregone conclusion. So unless you're from a country where it's touch and go through the qualifying, for example, Ireland, you're just sitting there waiting for the World Cup. And when it starts, with England, at least, the whole country gets World Cup fever, putting up those tacky flags all over the place.

-Hard to go against Spain.

-Yes.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
1.Spain - The favourites, easily. Their squad is amazing. They can bring players like Fabregas and Raul on as subs.
2.Germany - Don't see them going too far.
3.Holland - I look at Holland as the Arsenal of this competition. Play some good football, have talented players, a good coach, but just don't have that something special to push them all the way.
4.Italy - Quite an ageing squad. Don't see them retaining.
5.Brazil - Behind Spain as favourites.
6.Argentina - Slim chance. They don't look too special in qualifying. Good squad but probably the wrong manager. One who has zero experience.
7.Croatia - Doubtful.
8.Russia - Hiddink is a great manager and he's worked wonders there already. Who knows how far they could go. Perhaps the widcard this WC.
9.England - Taking Spain and Brazil out of the equation we have a huge chance.
10.Portugal - Probably won't even make it. If they do, they'll probably knock us out on penalties en route to the final.
11.Turkey - Limited knowledge of Turkey.
12. France - Ribery, Benzema, Gourcuff, Nasri... some great young players. SHOULD do well, but with France you never know.

few questions:

-Not really. I mean, qualification is boring, and for the most part, a foregone conclusion. So unless you're from a country where it's touch and go through the qualifying, for example, Ireland, you're just sitting there waiting for the World Cup. And when it starts, with England, at least, the whole country gets World Cup fever, putting up those tacky flags all over the place.

-Hard to go against Spain.

-Yes.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyways, we're still almost a year out, a lot of things can happen, bad form, injuries, etc.
At this point in time, I'm betting on a Spain-Brazil final, England have played well enough for at least a semi-final place.

·
Your arms are just too short to box with God
30,115 Posts
All depends on the draw and things like that for England. Imagine if the draw through up Spain Brazil and Holland on the same side???

Spain are favourites and rightly so, Brazil will be second favourites and after that it's England and Holland.

International football is not weaker, it's just the teams are getting closer together which is a great thing. The Faroe Islands beat Lithuania the other day, shows that the weaker teams are improving and the stronger teams, well they can't get much stronger.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
if we can get a 10 year younger version of Sheva, put Milevskiy on steroids and turn him into out Heskey
get Shovkovsky back to his old form and if Chy get regular football at Barcelona we can reach a good round

i think its the best Ukraine side in the last few years if we can get a younger version of Nesmachnyi Shovkovsky Tymoshchuk and Shevchenkko combined with the new coming talents we can be a world class team

Sheva and Tymo were great footballers at a wrong time the young Ukraine side is the best young team in the world if the likes of Sheva and Tymo can still be great footballers in the next ten years we can win the world cup

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll rejig the first post since it was from about 6 months ago and a lot can change in that time.
These are the official present FIFA rankings of the top 12 teams.

1 Brazil - Have had a great 6 months, winning the Confed and qualifying for the WC. Will be favourites to win the WC. No surprises there.
2 Spain - Amazing team who have a great chance of winning the WC.
3 Netherlands - Some star players but they always seem to falter on the big stage. Dark horses.
4 Italy - You can never count out the Italians but they aren't the force they once were.
4 Germany - The Germans are always in with a shout.
6 Russia - Need to get through the playoff but have a very strong team under Hiddink.
7 England - Impressive in qualifying. Best chance of winning in years.
8 Argentina What's Diego at? but they could still get there and with Messi anything is possible.
9 Croatia - Won't even qualify.
10 France - In playoffs but have a good bunch of players and they know how to win.
11 USA - Greatly improved in recent times.
12 Greece - In a playoff but seriously.....how did they win the Euro's that time? :confused:

As Skele mentioned, Serbia look strong and could be in with a chance but it's really up for grabs next summer. Any team can win it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts