Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
United to end £20m roller-coaster ride
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/United-to-end-20m-rollercoaster.4587997.jp

Published Date: 14 October 2008

Manchester United went on a six-year £20m roller-coaster ride with 10 different goalkeepers in a monumental effort to replace the great Dane Peter Schmeichel.
Now new keeper coach Eric Steele has taken on the challenge of attempting to avoid another similar saga as the Reds plan for the post-Edwin van der Sar era.

Between Schmeichel's Old Trafford retirement in 1999 to Van der Sar's £2m arrival from Fulham in 2005, United's efforts to come up with a solution to filling the vacancy left by the world's best lurched from sensational to slapstick.

Steele viewed the tough changeover process from afar as he built up a CV as a goalkeeper coach with Derby County, Aston Villa and City as well as being part of the FA's goalkeeping development team.

Then, after leaving the Eastlands set-up in the wake of Mark Hughes' arrival and moving briefly to Blackburn under Paul Ince, Steele was identified as the coach to replace Tony Coton at Old Trafford.

The popular Coton was forced to retire last January because of knee problems but had left a formidable structure in place at Carrington for his successor.

Steele's late appointment on the eve of the campaign, and injuries in the goalkeeping department have meant it is only now that he is getting his teeth into the job.

And, while putting his stamp on the keeper unit from nine-year-olds upwards, the mission to eventually replace van der Sar, is top priority.

"Edwin has gone public with the message that this is his last year, but with a view to looking at it and reviewing the position at Christmas.

So we have to be prepared for if and when that happens," Steele said.

"My ambitions are to maintain the standards of goalkeeper there has been at this football club. We have to maintain the great tradition set in the modern era by the great Peter Schmeichel.

"His success has finally been followed on to a great degree by Edwin.

My job is to ensure the next incumbent maintains that high level.

"I also have to ensure that we have that consistently over a sustained period and that we don't have the drop that happened between Schmeichel and Van der Sar.

"One or two will talk about Fabien Barthez and his contribution here but mainly people talk about Schmeichel and Van der Sar as being the best and in-between was a difficult time.

"Edwin is a very, very experienced goalkeeper. He has been one of the finest in the world in terms of the sweeper-keeper role that this club needs.

"When he came in he solved a dilemma about who can the replace the great man Peter Schmeichel. I worked with Peter at Villa and he is rightly most people's No 1choice as the best.

"After he left United there have been a lot of goalkeepers who have played first-team football for United. It was a tough ask getting someone in immediately to fill Schmeichel's boots

"Edwin's boots are going to be big to fill. He will now be remembered for the famous save in the shoot-out in the Champions League final but I think it had been noted by the purists in the game that he was one of the finest in terms of playing out from the back.

"His distribution skills are tremendous and ideally what you look for now. He has been, and still is, one of the best. It is a joy having viewed him from a distance to now work with him. He has raised the bar.

"It is a good challenge for me to have to start preparing for when he retires. It's not just about warming Edwin up before a game on the pitch! It is no good coming to Manchester United just to do that!

"When the time comes that Sir Alex Ferguson says `who is going to replace Edwin?' I have to have an answer and reasons for the answer.

"My job is to give the manager as many options as I can. That is what we are trying to do. We have to get all the goalkeepers fit and competing and throw the gauntlet down to Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster and say who is going to take over the mantle of the No 1 we have now.

"This is the time for Tomasz and Ben. This is what they were brought here for. They are both back from injury. Both are fully fit now to accept the challenge and Edwin knows it is there."

And, almost three months into his appointment, Steele believes it is now finally `Game On'

"I have been here 10 weeks but I missed the nucleus of what I believe is the mainstay of your season and that is the pre-season," he added.

"Edwin came back late because of his involvement in Euro 2008. Ben was injured in South Africa. All of a sudden you are looking at players who have missed the conditioning work. We have been playing catch-up and have used the international breaks to get them up to speed.

"We have sat down with Tony Strudwick, who is head of sports science at United, and his team and set about doing sessions to bring them up to speed.

"The keepers needed that. We have caught up and it is only in the last two or three weeks they are at the level I would have wanted them at in August.

"It is about preparation. They You have to monitor where, when and how much work to give them."

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
20 million wasted on keepers proves it is worth splashing big money on a keeper if the keeper is right! I dont know if foster will be good enough YET and I'm pretty convinced Kuzcak is definitely not up to it.. his kicking is far too poor for the top level.. we will see but a big decision HAS to be made this summer.. will we give Foster the chance or will we spend big on a keeper..

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
How old is Foster now?? i could look up on Man Utd.com but don't really want to.
I think he is 25, 25 is still young for a keeper but all the best keepers are already playing first team football at 25.
If your good enough your old enough, maybe its time he lost this young and need more time heading and nail down a place. He has to get games in this year and he has got to take the posts for next season.
He will be 26 then!! Come on Foster.......... you can do it!!!!!!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
eoininho said:
we will see but a big decision HAS to be made this summer..
No matter what your opinion is on the keeper situation, that point is a certainty.

We can't have a situation where we're playing about with keepers to see whos the best option, or pondering what to do and not sorting it out until months later. We have got to make a decision in the summer, and stick by it, whatever that decision is.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
How old is Foster now?? i could look up on Man Utd.com but don't really want to.
I think he is 25, 25 is still young for a keeper but all the best keepers are already playing first team football at 25.
If your good enough your old enough, maybe its time he lost this young and need more time heading and nail down a place. He has to get games in this year and he has got to take the posts for next season.
He will be 26 then!! Come on Foster.......... you can do it!!!!!!!
Had it not been for the injuries, he'd have been playing 1st team football by now. Sir Alex views Ben as Englands Future No.1 and United's. He will keep the faith with him. It'd be nice for once, too have an English goal-keeper as our No.1 and him being the 1st Choice for England as well.

We get linked with 100s of players. They probably want too get a good asking price for him, hence they claim we're interested in him. That'll force the hand of who-ever wants too sign him to act.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Its a shame Tim Howard was so inconsistent for us after his first season when he made the PFA Best XI.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
piazza said:
Its a shame Tim Howard was so inconsistent for us after his first season when he made the PFA Best XI.
He was a nice little find wasn't he, we plucked him from the American league for half nothing. I thought we had a real gem there but as you say he fell apart after the first season.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
He was a nice little find wasn't he, we plucked him from the American league for half nothing. I thought we had a real gem there but as you say he fell apart after the first season.
One of the best players ever to play in the MLS, he hasn't done bad for Everton either, to this day I still don't understand what happened to him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
One of the best players ever to play in the MLS, he hasn't done bad for Everton either, to this day I still don't understand what happened to him.
He just didnt perform to his best and made a few mistakes. Carroll then took over
not that he was much better either. Therefore they both ended up leaving.
I rate Howard now. I think he is a top keeper as he is proving all the time at Everton.

Im happy Steele is at United. He has the pedigree to do really well.
Its probably the best time ever for keepers at United.
3 top keepers we have going for the number 1 jersey.
I think they are all capable to be United's number 1 and am still happy with VDS.
If he is playing well he may decide on an extra year, but he has been shaky
enough at the start of this season and needs to buck up.
I have the confidence that he will have a very good season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eoininho said:
20 million wasted on keepers proves it is worth splashing big money on a keeper if the keeper is right! I dont know if foster will be good enough YET and I'm pretty convinced Kuzcak is definitely not up to it.. his kicking is far too poor for the top level.. we will see but a big decision HAS to be made this summer.. will we give Foster the chance or will we spend big on a keeper..

the problem is that determining when a goal-keeper is right seems to be more difficult than we think. Fergie made a massive find with Schmeichel, but his purchases after Peter left were horrific.

Somehow he thought Barthez and Tailibi were the right keeper.

I hope Eric Steele proves that he has ane eye for ability and potential and that he can advice Fergie or any future manager on goal-keepers.

Instead of buying flops we might buy some future stars like Hugo Lloris and rene Adler.

Kuszczak is decent cover, but does not have the confidence needed to be United's number 1.

I was very impressed foster and he played last night, so hopefully he can now go on to become United's first-choice custodian.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I was very impressed foster and he played last night, so hopefully he can now go on to become United's first-choice custodian.
I'm a big fan of Foster.

He certainly has the ability to become Man Utd and Englands no 1, and stay there for years to come. However, his fitness may be a bit of a concern. If he comes back and proves that his fitness is not a concern, he should get the chance to prove that he can be our no 1.

We should only be looking for a new keeper if Foster isn't capable of becoming no 1 for whatever reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts