Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting to Irish legend Ray Houghton (very sound bloke btw) a few weeks back and we were comparing our greatest ever Irish football team. We had the exact same team except for one player. I was very chuffed. Here is the team: which contains 5 ex-United players.

Shay Given

Denis Irwin Kevin Moran Paul McGrath Steve Staunton

Jonny Giles Roy Keane Liam Brady Damien Duff

John Aldridge Robbie Keane

What a great team. I had St. Quinny in for Aldridge but Ray was adamant that Aldo should get in the team. Who was I to argue, sure he has played with most of these players. I told Ray he was unlucky not to get in the team but that he had a spot on the bench. I then thanked him for two of my fondest ever memories(Stuttgart '88 and Giants Stadium'94). What a legend.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I was chatting to Irish legend Ray Houghton (very sound bloke btw) a few weeks back and we were comparing our greatest ever Irish football team. We had the exact same team except for one player. I was very chuffed. Here is the team: which contains 5 ex-United players.

Shay Given

What a great team. I had St. Quinny in for Aldridge but Ray was adamant that Aldo should get in the team. Who was I to argue, sure he has played with most of these players. I told Ray he was unlucky not to get in the team but that he had a spot on the bench. I then thanked him for two of my fondest ever memories(Stuttgart '88 and Giants Stadium'94). What a legend.

O dear god, are we this bored that we have to stoop this low as to talk about Ireland's greatest eleven. Sheer bored I hope!

:D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anderson's God said:
O dear god, are we this bored that we have to stoop this low as to talk about Ireland's greatest eleven. Sheer bored I hope!

:D
Thats why it was in football banter you (deleted)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Personal insults are against forum rules and are not nettiquette. You will cease such name calling from behind the safety of your keyboards, its unseemly and cowardly. I will amend the offending posts.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red Devil said:
Personal insults are against forum rules and are not nettiquette. You will cease such name calling from behind the safety of your keyboards, its unseemly and cowardly. I will amend the offending posts.
Apologies and point noted Red Devil. Though its easy to get wound up sometimes :eek:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Oh yes, I quite agree but its the measure of a person how he reacts. Its easy to be hard and bolshy from behind a keyboard, but stand up in the Stretford End and say it and let us know which hospital you want the grapes delivered ;) Just remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion. But its how that opinion is expressed. A favourite saying of mine on the net is very relevant - "Its not what you type, its how it read".

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Red Devil said:
Oh yes, I quite agree but its the measure of a person how he reacts. Its easy to be hard and bolshy from behind a keyboard, but stand up in the Stretford End and say it and let us know which hospital you want the grapes delivered ;) Just remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion. But its how that opinion is expressed. A favourite saying of mine on the net is very relevant - "Its not what you type, its how it read".
Excusez moi s'il vous plait........

What do ya mean ".......measure of a person how 'he' reacts.........."

Dont ya mean "he/she" ... :mad: :p

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can think of Frank Stapleton who has scored more and Aldridge who has scored the same amount I think. So no lol although an irish point of view would be better

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Jazz 16 said:

Shay Given

i might be showing my age here but i remember all them playing apart from giles (who i've never heard of) i feel a tongue lashing coming on.

some top players in that team but to be honest no real world class stars (apart from keane) which is just typical of the irish teams of years gone by they do excatly what it says on the tin, a TEAM!!!! :cool:

liam brady is 2nd best player on that list IMO he was pure class

Keano's fan said:
I can think of Frank Stapleton who has scored more and Aldridge who has scored the same amount I think. So no lol although an irish point of view would be better
i'm sure cascarino was top scorer before keane,

any chance of any of you swats chasing that up :confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
There you go mate :

Rank Name Goals

1 Robbie Keane 29
2 Niall Quinn 21
3 Frank Stapleton 20
4 Don Givens 19
Tony Cascarino 19
John Aldridge 19
7 Noel Cantwell 14
8 Gerry Daly 13
9 Jimmy Dunne 12
10 Ian Harte 11

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Keano's fan said:
There you go mate :

Rank Name Goals

1 Robbie Keane 29
2 Niall Quinn 21
3 Frank Stapleton 20
4 Don Givens 19
Tony Cascarino 19
John Aldridge 19
7 Noel Cantwell 14
8 Gerry Daly 13
9 Jimmy Dunne 12
10 Ian Harte 11
cheers,

4th i was close lol

i didn't know for a fact i just seem to recall watching a ireland game a few years back just before cascarino retired (when he was playing abroad) and the commentater going on about him being the leading goalscorer. must of heard wrong. coz it's not like he was at the time either coz big frank retired well before him

1 - 20 of 28 Posts