Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I remember vividly the goal Houghton scored in the Giants Stadium in 1994 - I was in an Italian restaurant! :D

The waiters were all Italian and were going on and on about how they would hammer Ireland and were handing out Italy balloons. When Houghton scored the whole restaurant just went silent and then a group of people burst out laughing and started taking the mickey out of the waiters!

It was a great volley and the 1-0 win was probably the most impressive result of the World Cup.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here would be mine!

Shay Given

Denis Irwin Paul McGrath Kevin Moran Steve Staunton

Ray Houghton Jonny Giles Roy Keane Liam Brady

Niall Quinn Robbie Keane

5 of which played for United during their careers (In Bold)!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ajant said:
What player did Ray say that you didnt say Jazz?
I had said Quinn. He went for his Scouse mate Aldridge.

andycole9 said:
i might be showing my age here but i remember all them playing apart from giles (who i've never heard of) i feel a tongue lashing coming on.
Giles played for United in the 50s and 60s. He played 100 times for us but never really showed his true potential. He played with Leeds for years forming one of the hardest midfield partnerships with Billy Bremner. By all accounts they were a nightmare to play against.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:
The big cas wasn't even irish so it would be foolish to add him to irelands all time greatest players list.
True, he wasn't Irish but he was eligible to play for Ireland.

There was some confusion over this when it was revealed that his mother was adopted. Cascarino was born in England and so was his mother but his grandfather was Irish.

When it was revealed that his grandfather adopted his mother it was believed that this meant Cascarino's 'Irish roots' were false and therefore he was never eligible to play.

In fact, the truth is that because his mother was offcially adopted by an Irishman she gained Irish citizenship so Cascarino was eligible to play.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts