Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie's words not mine......Its a long-ish article but a good one.

So do you agree with it or not?
Can Anderson be the driving force of our midfield over the next decade or so,
just like Keane and Robson were before him?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/11/11/anderson-will-be-the-next-roy-keane-says-manchester-united-boss-sir-alex-ferguson-115875-20885752/
Sir Alex Ferguson has backed young midfielder Anderson to inspire Manchester
United's next generation to glory and hailed him as the natural successor to Roy Keane.

Fergie has confided to his coaching staff and close associates that the 20-year-
old Brazilian is one of the most gifted players he has seen during his glittering
managerial career.

And Fergie named Anderson - who is set to feature with United's youngsters in
tonight's Carling Cup tie against Queens Park Rangers at Old Trafford -
as the heir apparent to former Reds skippers Keane and Bryan Robson.

"Our style has changed over the last few years," said Fergie. "We've got different
types of players to 10 years ago. You can't replicate every team with identical
players - it's impossible.

"When I first came here they used to say Bryan Robson was the king and that
you couldn't win a game without him.

"I began to believe it as well, because we didn't operate as well without him on the pitch.

"We had to change the mentality, change the mental toughness. They thought
you could never find another Robson, but then Keane came along and filled the breach.

"Then they thought you'd never get another Keane, but then someone like
Anderson steps through the door and the cycle just keeps going."

Although Anderson has yet to score his first goal for United, following his £18
million move from Porto in the summer of 2007, Fergie is convinced the belligerent
midfielder is an Old Trafford legend-in-waiting.

"Anderson's a different type of player altogether to Keane," said Fergie. "But
when you've lost Keane and you've got Paul Scholes coming to the end of his
career, you say, 'Who's going to function for Manchester United?'

"Then a lad like Anderson comes in - just 19 years old when he joined us - and
you see the level of his performance.

"You know he's going to become a terrific player and life moves on, United move on, it's inevitable."

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I don't really think so TBH, both have completely different characteristics...

Anderson has a great bit of skill in him...but not a leader
Roy ran the midfield and scared the opponents..

I can't see Anderson emulating Keano though, but that's not to say he won;t go
on to be a United hero like Keane was, only in a different light.

So to answer the question...no ;)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I don't think so. Robson and Keane had the strongest personalities of the team in their day, whereas Anderson can't speak English yet as far as I know. He can't lead a midfield or a team with the likes of Rooney, Ferdinand, Vidic etc. being more vocal and being bigger influences on the team than him. I think he can battle in midfield, and has similar desire to Roy Keane, but just doesn't have the personality or the leadership qualities. The closest we have in our squad though, unless Possebon proves he's better.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Veru different kond of players but yes I think ando has the ability to hold the midefield up and dicatatae play...he needs more game time though to get any where near KEANO

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
No chance.

Fergie was bigging up Anderson, but he has a smiling sunshiney disposition and although he might one day boss the midfield effectively, I would be very surprised if he could rouse his team mates, score game-winning goals or tackle tirelessly when it matters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I loving watchin this guy play, but i have to agree with u guys ans say no he aint another roy keane, to start with they both have different temperaments on the pitch lol

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
No..there will only ever be one Roy Keane....Anderson is a powerful strong lad,who plays with the heart of a lion,but no i dont think he has that extra bite in him,opposition players wont fear him like they did Keano.Asked my friend what he thinks his reply was..Keane was an animal,who took no prisoners..i wouldn't put it in quite those words,but do think that mr Keane was a one off,a player that gave his all......But Anderson will be awesome if he carries on in the way he's going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Emulate Keano he can, but he'll never be like him. He's already made a name for the club and I'm sure he'll go to greater heights!

...there's only one thing that's missing: A STUNNER OF A GOAL! :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yotix_utd07 said:
...there's only one thing that's missing: A STUNNER OF A GOAL! :D
To be fair, he would take ANY goal right now, even a scruffy tap in.
The lad can hit below row z unfortunately :D

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
as fergie said he is a different type of player.
its unbelievable he hasnt scored yet, i fell once he gets a few goals under his belt he will really take off, he is still settling in. i know its his second season but i still think he needs time.

with hargreaves out its an ideal situation for anderson, he now has the chance to make the cm position his own and it will be a case of who gets to support him.
aside from scholes and ronaldo he is our most talented midfielder.

obviously he is no robson or keane but he is definitely the future.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Why would he want to be the new keane or robbo, he is a better player than either for his age. He has the chance to be anderson world class brazil and man united midfielder, he has so many great attributes and is one of the players other fans respect. I know fans of alot of different clubs and they all think anderson is going to be world class and a special player.
I know he is not near keane or robsons level but lets be honest they where both great players but ther is no reason anderson couldn't be better, as mentioned before for his age he outstrips keane and robbo for talent and results.
Althougth keane is one of my favourite ever player i think he tends to be overated by alot of people he had a serious discipine problem until going into a captains role for united. In todays game someone that aggresive is not always for the best as it seems to be going more towars a non contact game.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:
Why would he want to be the new keane or robbo, he is a better player than either for his age. He has the chance to be anderson world class brazil and man united midfielder, he has so many great attributes and is one of the players other fans respect. I know fans of alot of different clubs and they all think anderson is going to be world class and a special player.
I know he is not near keane or robsons level but lets be honest they where both great players but ther is no reason anderson couldn't be better, as mentioned before for his age he outstrips keane and robbo for talent and results.
Althougth keane is one of my favourite ever player i think he tends to be overated by alot of people he had a serious discipine problem until going into a captains role for united. In todays game someone that aggresive is not always for the best as it seems to be going more towars a non contact game.

Whoa...

I think you've got a very good point. For Anderson's age he is
very,very good. I think we cometimes forget how young he still is.

I admire you going somewhat against the grain and saying that
he could be better than them. While I do not doubt the he can,
I wonder whether he has the drive and hunger to get there.

Keane is one of my all time favourite players too and I actually
loved the fight he had in him. It really shook the opposition and
team mates up, so I don't think he's over-rated.

Maybe he didn't have the ball control of Anderson, but he sure
could grab hold of a game, dictate the tempo, break up attacks,
make vital ball-winning challenges and something that Anderson
has yet to do - score a goal & score a goal when it matters
.....overall Roy Keane could stamp his authority on a game.

If Anderson can do that, he will be our next keane. Not the same
combatative style perhaps, but his ability to boss a match.

If Anderson can raise his game to that level, then that combined
with his talent might just take him to a level high then Robbo and Keane,
but he has to dig deep and work on his game.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i was so impressed by anderson in his first season he really looked something special. but so far this season i have been a little dissapointed if i am truthful he is getting more wasteful in pursuit of his first goal for utd , i suppose most of the team are showing too much urgency to score a goal thats another reason why we waste so many chances.
i still have high hopes of anderson but he needs to be more forceful in his midfield duties and steady the ship for us because thats our biggest weakness this season teams are walking through us and centre midfield needs to stop em.

·
23,699 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:

RedForceRising said:
Whoa...

I think you've got a very good point. For Anderson's age he is
very,very good. I think we cometimes forget how young he still is.

I admire you going somewhat against the grain and saying that
he could be better than them. While I do not doubt the he can,
I wonder whether he has the drive and hunger to get there.

Keane is one of my all time favourite players too and I actually
loved the fight he had in him. It really shook the opposition and
team mates up, so I don't think he's over-rated.

Maybe he didn't have the ball control of Anderson, but he sure
could grab hold of a game, dictate the tempo, break up attacks,
make vital ball-winning challenges and something that Anderson
has yet to do - score a goal & score a goal when it matters
.....overall Roy Keane could stamp his authority on a game.

If Anderson can do that, he will be our next keane. Not the same
combatative style perhaps, but his ability to boss a match.

If Anderson can raise his game to that level, then that combined
with his talent might just take him to a level high then Robbo and Keane,
but he has to dig deep and work on his game.
Largely agree.

I am still surprised he first came across more like an old-fashioned English footballer than a typical silky Brazilian, ever ready made for the rough and rumble of the English game instead of struggling and taking time to fit in. One of his earlier games when he squared up to the the seasoned Steven G and having Fabregas in his pocket were eye openers and fond memories impossible to forget.

Anderson's raw energy, talents and attributes are plain for all to see. I mostly love to see him run at defenders with frightening pace, poise and beauty, an awesome sight to behold.

In fact, I actually think he has every potential to be an all rounder in the middle of the park! While widely touted as a replacement for Scholes as an attacking central midfielder, he is so incredibly strong on the ball and does possess the natural aggression to be an abstute ball winner, enforcer and to handle the roles of a defensive midfielder at the same time.

Still very young and developing his game only under the tutelage of Fergie, he has every chance to be the next midfield superstar and perhaps even a complete one as aforementioned. But much works need to be done, from better awareness and reading the game, positional sense, getting himself into space, stamping his mark in the middle of the park as his own etc. And yes, to also pop in the vital goals when the chips are down or to break weary deadlocks would be icing on the cake.

Thus far, I thought he has only been playing it safe and has not really raised his game by the one or two notches we know he is capable of or impose himself like he should, given his wonderful attributes. Inconsistencies in a game or in between games are also evident, common characteristics of a budding young player. A string of matches for him may be helpful for him to discover the necessary confidence and self-belief of who he really is and what he can really do, especially with the injuries of Scholes and Hargreaves.

No, he will never be a Roy Keane (or a Bryan Robson) and he DOES NOT need to. He does not need to bark and snarl like Keano or possess a dark side to complement it. He does not even need to have any command and control if leadership is not his forte like a captain should because that is not necessary for his actual midfield functions for the team.

He will always be his own Anderson, a sunny, fun loving chappie who loves to do a samba gig when celebrating. But those pleasant dispositions do not belie his power, pace, grit and determination on the field.

When he can utilise all his natural talents and attributes, and learn the game well under who else but Fergie, we are going to have a midfield superstar that is not a Keano but one possibly better without the dark side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts