Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is European Football Really On The Down?

Most of us here saw the awards today handed out for best goalkeeper, defender,
midfielder and forward.

England teams had players adorned throughout the nominees. All of England's top
clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United had their number 1 keeper in the
goalkeeper section. The midfield section was all English, Scholes, Gerrard,
Lampard, Fabregass, Essien. Not one player from outside the Premier League
managed to get their names on the shortlist.

Its a worrying sign of the talent abroad. The all English final is another example
along with the fact that England are becoming more and more prominent in the
latter stages of the competition in recent years. I don't know about yous, but I
really miss those clashes with Juve, Bayern, Deprotive, (Not so much Bayer
Leverkusen), and it seems like within the next few years, all 4 teams left in the
quarter finals will be English.

In the top seeded teams for today's draw for the Champions League 4 of the 8
were, English. Two Spanish, one Italian and a French outfit. I know we all want
the best for the English league but is the talent draining from the clubs that once
were so big and hard to beat?

I'd rather play Juventus, or Munich, or Real Madrid, another team weakened
drastically, in the last few stages of the competition rather then Chelsea,
Liverpool, or Arsenal. We play them during the season, and we want to challenge
ourselves against the best don't we?

How do you feel on the lack of competition and admiration for leagues abroad?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Im enjoying the 'lack of competition' from abroad. It means the Prem is the
strongest league, where we are the strongest team (back to back Prem & Cl champions)
so its all good imo. I didnt really enjoy it when we always feel short in
the quarters or semi's and had to watch an Italian or Spanish team winning it.

I always hope we avoid the English teams in the knockout but if we play them
we know we can beat them (Chelsea). I cant wait for the day we knock Liverpool
out of the CL. That would be the biggest kick in the teeth for them and a historic win.

I cant see why you would be bothered by the lack of competition from abroad.
That confuses me. If it means United make the semi's/final every year then bloody great!!

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know...

But I loved the games with Juve and others....Platini will try change it all no doubt:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That's the problem for passing from a Cup (the old Champions' Cup) to a league (actual Champions League).

At the base there's the arguement if to keep national championships or to pass to a european league at all: it's unfair to build fantastic teams (like Man. Un., REal M., Barca, JUVE, Milan etc.) and let them play most season against poor challengers.

On the other hand, it would be sad to say the word end to the glorious and historic national leagues:..... but if you save them, you should have a Cup in Europe and not another league, with one representative for every country.

But I think in 10-20 years we'll have a european league like in USA: a regular season with the playoff at the end

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
the best players in england...Mainly european ones...the best players in the world usually play in spain and italy...now are joining the british leagues...the current world cup winners...european...the current euro champions...spain...again european...

Is european football really on the down? Its the total opposite in my opinion. As England continues to try and invest loads of money on foreign talent, it only goes to show that EU football is going in the right direction.

As for the champions league though, i do admit i do miss the days of us playing juve and stuff but those days will be back soon. Milan, madrid and Barca are still as big a force as ANY british team.

Also the top 4 in england have so much money to spend, they can get the best players from the word and thats is why englands top 4 are currently so successful.

Anyway even with the top 4 doing so well in europe, with such a huge amount of players in the british top 4 being foreign...its a celebration of EU football in a way.lol.

Anyway i disagree, imo EU football is doing great...

pz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts