Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to work out why fergie doesn't rotate berba and tevez a bit more often . I understand berba and rooney are our first choice pair but fergie seems reluctant to put berba on the bench at all.

My musing is this. Berba is known as a moody player and a bit of an enigma. We all know what happened in the final weeks when he was still at spurs. There's something about him that makes me feel he would be a player that would really not like being dropped and would react badly to it (compared to some others). So does fergie see the need to keep him happy? Is this why tevez didn't get much of a sniff even when berba was off his game? Berba seems to me to be a bit of a "throw the toys out of the pram" type - has fergie read this in him and decided to keep him happy?

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think its just simply down to every time Berbtov plays he looks more settled into the team and is producing a lot for us to be honest.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Fergie scared of a player.......are you serious? Have you been alive in the last 10 years??? Beckham/Ruud/Keano........

Anyway,Fergie wants the play to rotate around Berba as he knows his one moment of brilliance will win a game.He has no fear in team selection,he has a vision.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
desmondo said:
I've been trying to work out why fergie doesn't rotate berba and tevez a bit more often . I understand berba and rooney are our first choice pair but fergie seems reluctant to put berba on the bench at all.

My musing is this. Berba is known as a moody player and a bit of an enigma. We all know what happened in the final weeks when he was still at spurs. There's something about him that makes me feel he would be a player that would really not like being dropped and would react badly to it (compared to some others). So does fergie see the need to keep him happy? Is this why tevez didn't get much of a sniff even when berba was off his game? Berba seems to me to be a bit of a "throw the toys out of the pram" type - has fergie read this in him and decided to keep him happy?
Fergie being scared of Berba? LMAO. No.

The thing is that he bought Berba, and now needs to use what was bought. Paying 30 million for a player and leaving him on the bench in his first season is a waste of money, innit ? And after all, Berba is giving Fergie all the reasons why he should play him, day in day out, especially in the last few matches.
It`s not an argument of him being scared of Berba lol, that should not even cross your mind.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
What? Its because Berba is still settling in and needs to firmly fit into Uniteds jigsaw. Also, he brings things that Rooney and Tevez dont.

The more important question is, why the do you think Fergie has such little spine?

Close this thread please mods.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
no, he's not scared of him.
it's simply that he's finding his form, and recently we have started to see him gel with the players around him, as i knew we would. why take him out when he is about to reach somewhere around top form.
he was brought in to give a new dimension to our attacking play, so that we didn't need to play one of rooney or tevez out of position in centre forward. he is consistently in the team because rooney and tevez are fairly similar in many respects, and berbatov is the antithesis.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
Fergie scared of a player.......are you serious? Have you been alive in the last 10 years??? Beckham/Ruud/Keano........

Anyway,Fergie wants the play to rotate around Berba as he knows his one moment of brilliance will win a game.He has no fear in team selection,he has a vision.

LOL exactly...if anything it wil be the other way round ...

Well understandable Berba is new and he still has a lot of adaptation to do. Since we paid that much for him, it is only right Sir Alex is trying to bring out the best in berba. Well arent we starting to see the effect now compared to when he first joined us?? I think if anything, Rooney is his baby boy...already we see the effect of Rooney and tevez for last season so now with Berbatov, just right if he wanted it to work as well and that needs time.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
all our best attacks go through berba and also maybe he thinks roo and tevez are to similar type players to play together but noway is he afraid of berba

·
Registered
8 Posts
and i also think he's giving him alot of games for time to settle in amongst his new team mates ready for when the season begins for proper come champions league knockout phase time and that crucial time around april and may when all the finals are.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
no I dont think he is scared of him at all, it just comes down to imo the fact that most of our play revolves around berbatovs playmaking around the box not just scoring goals but also assisting goals.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Saturday, 24 January 2009
The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
Man Utd 2-1 Tottenham
Scholes 35
Berbatov 36 Pavlyuchenko 5

Tuesday, 20 January 2009
Carling Cup Man Utd 4-2 Derby
Nani 16
O'Shea 22
Tevez 34
Ronaldo (pen) 89 Barnes (pen) 80
Barnes 90+2

Saturday, 17 January 2009
Barclays Premier League
Bolton 0-1 Man Utd
Berbatov 90

Wednesday, 14 January 2009
Barclays Premier League
Man Utd 1-0 Wigan
Rooney 1

Sunday, 11 January 2009
Barclays Premier LeagueMan Utd 3-0 Chelsea
Vidic 45+2
Rooney 63
Berbatov 87

Monday, 29 December 2008
Barclays Premier League
Man Utd 1-0 Middlesbrough
Berbatov 69

Think they are the last games he has played in? Think he is justifying his inclusion.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Most of the words I would use to describe this thread have already been used.

Thankfully, there are many sensible ppl on this forum, who have already shared their views. ;)

When you buy a new player, who is of a high calibre and no longer "a youngster", you play him as often as possible, because:
a) He will be fired up to play well and impress
b) he needs to "earn his spurs"
c) he needs time to gel with his team mates and you achieve that by playing him as often as possible.

Also, by common consensus, we are missing a creative type midfielder, as well as directness and drive, so we have needed Berba's first touch, ability to keep the ball under pressure and passing.

Sometimes when a player is making a difference to a team, you have to just go with it and keep playing that player. You also have to just give him the ball, cos you know something is going to happens.

That's not just in football, but in most team sports. You play the guys who are on fire as often as possible and you give your "go-to" guy the ball as often as possible.

Like Ronaldo last season.....like Michael Jordan.... like Messi...

Man Utd have been slow out of the blocks this season and have only impressed in a few games thus far.

So when the team found the goung tough - Berbatov made a positive difference.

So you gotta keep playing him.

I'm not saying he's perfect - my gripes are well-documented, but he's making a difference in almost every match, so you just keep playing him.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Berbatov was brought in to give us a different dimension to our play, and he's doing that.

Also you don't spend tens of millions on a striker and then leave him on the bench. (Unless you're a fat Spanish waiter.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts