Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite. I just want a couple of peoples views on whether you believe Football is still a working class sport?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
No way its for rich people

Ticket price is expensive for a working class family
then comes watching matches on tv is still expensive

Sky Sport and Setanta cost lots

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
mufc-ok said:
mufc-ok is your avatar the sticker on the lamp post on the road just off sir matt busbys way?

sorry for the off topic

erm i think it depends where you go in the country and what team your watching. away days are def not full of snobs but home games you get a lot of them. i mean if you go down to championship it def is working class. but teams like us arsenal chelsea and mainly london clubs attract the rich for their hospitality features

but liverpool are to scummy so the rich wont flood there so your always get working class there.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
its a mixture i think....one big difference between clubs is that i reckon smaller clubs are still run on a more family/community based atmosphere.....everyone no matter who they are knows eachother, gets involved and stuck in.

been to watch a few games at bescot home of the mighty walsall fc, got to say the club is friendly, well run, good atmosphere and what a club should be like before money takes over and a good mix of people from all backgrounds really.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think the football clubs in the first divisions of each country are not more working class culture. But I think the football clubs in the bottom division.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the average working class man cannot afford to follow much live football if he has a family .
an adult and say 2 children would cost £70 -£100 without other cost's added and the average factory wage in my part of the country is about £250 a week and to spend half your earnings on a 90 minute game of football is insanity .
these millionaire footy players would not give half their wage to take their kids to the football but expect us mugs to pay their astronomical wage's , i must say my love of football is dying slowly and lots of working class people think the same has me.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Moved to football banter.

It depends on what level of football you are talking about.

I'm involved with Ebbsfleet United where it's £7 for a match ticket. That's very much affordable for the working class.

However, since Sky came along if working class people support a Premier League team they either have to make serious sacrifices to continue following their team or just sit in the pub and watch the games on TV.

·
Registered
516 Posts
A ticket costs 7.50 GBP for FC Utd of Manchester. And they play in the Northern Premier Football League Premier Division (seventh division in England). One below the Football Conference. :D

As I just said, only in the bottom divisions exist the working class culture.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
still working class over here. all the snobs go to rugby.

Example:
Price of ticket to Irish rugby game: E100

Price of ticket to Irish football game E50

·
Registered
542 Posts
Goaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Daviddddd Villlllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Yes, it is a working class sport and when i`m saying that, i am not keeping in mind just English football. Here in Malta, football supporters aren`t rich people .. working class. Fortunately, our tickets ain`t expensive, of course the class between Old Trafford and our National Stadium can`t even be compared, the same goes for football played on the pitch. Yet we Maltese, are happy with our football, and always go to football matches and events.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clarky101 said:
mufc-ok is your avatar the sticker on the lamp post on the road just off sir matt busbys way?
Im not to sure if its the one on sir mat busby way, All i know is thats its on a lampost m8 haha :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forzaunited said:
Goaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Daviddddd Villlllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Why are you wearing a Barcelona shirt? Do you support them or something (Assuming thats you in the picture)

S

·
0 Posts
In the English leagues the premeirship hasn't been a working class sport for
years.
The further down the leagues you go the more it becomes a working class sport.
When you get down to non league level you find it hard to find anyone who isn't working class, players/fans/management and backroom staff are all working class.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
fan wise, complete mix. Player wise, I'd say there's quite a lot of them from poor families, that want to do something more for themselves and their families. And since school is clearly placed to a lower importance, and forget college, you can see why some of them are.... "simple" ;)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
mufc-ok said:
Why are you wearing a Barcelona shirt? Do you support them or something (Assuming thats you in the picture)
lol my bad thought you walked by it and took a picture on your mobile or something lol :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts