Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
by whom ?

also redondo was dropped from argie squad back in 98 but that doesn't stop him to be considered one of the best dmf's ever...

and cantona was also dropped...so was effenberg, anelka,fat ronaldo,ronaldinho - lots of 'em were dropped

why is this so strange - he would be the first choice midfielder in ANY European club...that's a fact
booby charlton :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
oh my god. he's not even the best midfielder at liverpool, alonso is better. Lampard is also miles better imo. I wouldn't put him in the top 20 mids in the world.

He drifts out of games so often it's untrue but gets away with it with his occasional screamers.
he is easily one of the top 20 current mids and probably in the top five current cmds.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
lol - i didn't say cantona or effenberg were the greatest i was simply implying that at the time they were amoung the best their country had...and still were dropped

is it really funny asking is gerrard the best or should i say the most complete midfielder england has ever had... well if he's the most complete at the moment and lots of unbiased fans will agree - then he has to be up there with the best

is he the best or not - i left for you guys to pick - i've already said i didn't follow history that much, but it seems to be that he deserves to be amung the best ever

especially for what he's done with liverpool in europe...he's a big game player - always there to drag the team forward, he inspires fringe players and improves the team simply by being on the teamsheet

and i know when to quit - it's quite simple - when i'm proved wrong - and i'm not so firm on this one -

to tell you the truth -i'm not so sure what to think on this one - i was hoping you GUYS WOULD HELP ME SO THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS A QUESTION...

but to say that he was gonna get dropped is a tribal football really....insinuations
for starters cantona was a great player but he was pretty average for france and was not rated as one of their great strikers even when doing so well for united.
Secondly when robsonn and charlton both united players and both better mids than gerrard are missed out by a united fans are you suprised people are not happy with your post.
Gerrard is not really that complete as he needs a dm playing to make the most of his atacking talents and alot of the time play's more as a deep lying forward than a cm.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
ryders - surely most managers would agree that he is the most complete midfielder in the world...

and the fact that he needs a dmf to paly alongside him doesn't tell anything about his possibilities ...cos every team needs a quality dmf...it doesn't depend on your playmaker

look at cesc without flamini

oh and - what do you mean by this "Secondly when robsonn and charlton both united players and both better mids than gerrard are missed out by a united fans "

didn't understand that
i doubt most manager would call him the most complete mid about, i would say essien, de rossi and hargreaves are more complete.
Lokk at cesc without fabregas, yes it shows he isn;t a complete mid but rather a playmaker who is in fact very overated.
My other point is you as a united fan should know that robson and charlton are both better than gerrard especially for england where gerarrd is mostly rubbish.
You wonder why people ara noyed when you called a scouser who isn't that good a betetr player than two united legends.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
do you even know what complete means crooney or have you got the wrong word, it means good at all aspects of the game. Hargo, de rossi and essien are all more complete layers than gerrard, i didn't say they where all better than him. The players i mentioned can do well at everything where as gerrard excels in certain areas but not in all, i think you need to find out what the words mens before makign such big statements.
To be honest your one of the most biased posters and to acuse me of being biased is one of the stupidest things i have heard, any longer poster with any sense would know that i will give a realistic opinion of players and will argue at length with numerous bias united fans over united legends from cantona to best.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
the most complete - hmmm

let's see - taking free kicks - who's scored more free kicks....

headers - who's scored more headers

playmaking - who's a better playmaker

passing - who's the better passer

vision - who's got the better vision

crossing - who has more assists from crosses

playing with both feet - i think gerrards better

tackleing and defending - i'll give them a slight edge overthere, but that's because they're only dmf's not cmf's,,and de rossi can play only as a dmf...ONLY , while gerrard and hargo can produce great performances on any postion

do you know that liverpool had the best record of wins 2 seasons ago i think when he was played as a RMF
that is a poor list of things, that is not the sum total of a footballer,
you missed running round like a headless chicken gerrard wins that
not being in the right place at the right time another win for gerrard
hollywood pass to nobody another great win for gerrard
pulling your team apart as you want to score good goals and be roy of the rovers another win for stevie g
playing well for you club side but terrible for the national side stevei g wins again

also you have yet to comment on robson and charlton.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
oh and - how is that i'm biased...on what issue
you seem to forget about luka modric the worlds best player going to a top wolrd team and being better than numerous other mids who play betetr and have signed for better clubs.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
rydersonthestorm said:
that is a poor list of things, that is not the sum total of a footballer,
you missed running round like a headless chicken gerrard wins that
not being in the right place at the right time another win for gerrard
hollywood pass to nobody another great win for gerrard
pulling your team apart as you want to score good goals and be roy of the rovers another win for stevie g
playing well for you club side but terrible for the national side stevei g wins again

also you have yet to comment on robson and charlton.[/QUOTE]

lmao - ok ok - -you're right if it makes you happy

i've already commented on it on the previous two pages where i explained how i do not actually think he is THE best

and you've really done yourself no favours with that statement how he fails to be at the right place in the right time considering he's scored more goals than some cf's...

and i suppose de rossi and hargo have been class acts for their sides...c'mon hargo has playe great only 5 matches for his side and before that he was no one...

anyway - you won it with your list of the things - i'm a bit surprised you didn't comment those i stated - maybe you agree with my FACTS
yeah thats the complete mid when you are trying to score goals when your team is being attacked, he is not a team player he plays and tries to look like the star. He does pull things out the bag for liverpool that there is no doubts but he never does it for england and has infact been rubbish for england for years.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
luka modric is amoung the best midfielders for me....

what's wrong with that ?

lol - he eat ballack,vdv,riquelme,diego and co whenever he met them

perhaps you failed to see it
thats why he signed for tottenham, i have no doubts he is a good player but in the summer you said he was one of the world best and the euro's and his start to the league have done nothing to proove this.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
To be fair to Gerrard he is up there with some of the very best.

If you are talking English (central) midfielders then here is my list.
Charlton>Robson>Gazza>Platt>Gerrard.

Charlton and Robson's records speak for themselves and we all know about them.
They were the best 2 England midfielders ever.

From the rest.....

Gazza had the most natural ability and in his prime he could run games all on his own.
If he had gone to United instead of London (i.e Fergie keeping an eye on him)
he could have easily gone on to become the greatest midfielder of his generation or possibly ever.
He was just awesome...-speed, strength, outrageous skills, confidence the lot....

But we all know what happened to him in the end.......he is still better(in his prime)
than Stevie G by a bit. David Platt deserves a mention also. he scored heaps of
goals from midfield for clubs and country. I remember him also in World Cup '90
playing amazingly.
Gerrard has the chance to make it further up the 'list' by the time his career is over.

He may go wandering in midfield thus neglecting other duties, but he is still a
World class player (and it pains me to say it).

Thats my take on this debate. :)
nice post jazz, you know your football unlike some :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
unlike some - true

some who think de rossi is more complete than gerrard only because he has defensive responsabilities
crooney not one person has agreed with pretty much anything you have said, i think as usual your just being an arse.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
thanks

that's very mature

oh and i suppose everyone has agreed with your de rossi > gerrard
i just say what i see,
again perhaps you don't know enough english to see the point where i said gerrard was a better player than de rossi, i just don't think gerrard is a very complete player and is more of a playmaker or attacking mid.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
and by being a dmf ONLY , the player is more complete

cos that's what they are - players with defensive qualites
no he never runs forward does he, never brings the team into the game, and he never scores, just like who he didn't score against us.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CROoney said:
so------he is one of the greatest after all ....
he might not even be top 5 wilkins and johnny haynes could make a claim for that spot as well as others, infact we have to include the likes of glenn hoddle who would be high up the list as gerrard is an attacking mid not a central one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts